A bit of Kill kool aid, good signs

Ole

Reaction score
Looking at Kill's teams' performances against teams one level up(FBS when @ SIU, BCS when @ NIU) and down(D2, FCS) from 2002-2010 there are some very good signs.

2002- SIU
Took an eventual 4-8 win team to Eastern Michigan(MAC) and went to OT on the road losing 45-48
Beat Kentucky Wesleyan and Western Virginia Tech by a combined 154-21

2003-SIU
Beat Quincy and St. Joseph's by a combined 139-14
No FBS opponents

2004-SIU
Lost 22-23 on the road to NIU by going for 2 with 54 seconds left in the game
Beat William Penn 59-9

2005-SIU
Lost 28-34 to W. Michigan(Greg Jennings and Tony Scheffler led) on the road, were within field goal until 1:50 left in the 4th
Beat Union College 82-7

2006-SIU
Beat Indiana on the road 35-28, Indiana would go on to a 3-5 Big Ten record with wins against Iowa, Ill, and MSU(we smoked em that year though)
Beat Lock Haven 49-0

2007-SIU
Beat NIU 34-31 on the road
Beat Quincy 59-14

2008- NIU
Lost to us 31-27 in a nail biter determined by Brewster going for it on 4th down in the 4th quarter, Ryan Collado's nightmare game. 1st game for Kill at NIU

Lost 13-9 at Tennesee was 3-3 going into the half, Starting QB was knocked out of the game, backup played well

Lost 16-0 against Navy, looks like the Triple option run by Ricky Dobbs ground them out and a few turnovers doomed them, they did move the ball well though.

Beat Indiana St. 48-3

2009- NIU
Lost 20-28 at Camp Randall against wisconsin in their season opener.
I remember watching this game in the parking lot of TCF and a badger fan posing as a gopher fan was crapping bricks, NIU recovered onside kick and were driving with 2 minutes left eventually lost on a 4th down broken up pass.

Beat Purdue 28-21 on the road

Beat Western Illinois 41-7

Did get smoked by an 8-5 South Florida team in their bowl 27-3, worst loss against a team a level up I can find.

2010-NIU
Lost 10-27 against ISU on the road, a troubling one because Chanler Harnish was benched(2 year returning starter), backup QB threw 4 picks.
Perhaps a disciplinary/Harnish not working hard move?

Lost 22-28 @ Illinois, were within 2 points with 6:00 to play in the 4th, a really close one.

Smoked us 34-23 in a score that we know was further than that

Beat North Dakota 23-17

I think there's enough of a history here to feel good about Kill's ability to get his teams prepared and motivated in both games against more talented and less talented opponents.
I'd be interested to check out who NIU and SIU's big rivalries are with and compare that too.

:cool: Sip.

Interesting factoid:

In 2007, Jerry Kill took his SIU team on the road to NIU on 9/8 and won 34-31. He was announced as NIU's coach on 12/13.

In 2010, Jerry Kill took his NIU team on the road to UMN on 9/25 and won 34-23. He was announced as UMN's coach on 12/6.

Interesting factoid:

In 2007, Jerry Kill took his SIU team on the road to NIU on 9/8 and won 34-31. He was announced as NIU's coach on 12/13.

In 2010, Jerry Kill took his NIU team on the road to UMN on 9/25 and won 34-23. He was announced as UMN's coach on 12/6.

Let's hope he doesn't beat USC 34-xx ;)

Did get smoked by an 8-5 South Florida team in their bowl 27-3, worst loss against a team a level up I can find.

In 2001, SIU was pounded 56-12 by Baylor in Waco.

Great stats and discussion though, Ole!

Looking at Kill's teams' performances against teams one level up(FBS when @ SIU, BCS when @ NIU) and down(D2, FCS) from 2002-2010 there are some very good signs.

2002- SIU
Took an eventual 4-8 win team to Eastern Michigan(MAC) and went to OT on the road losing 45-48
Beat Kentucky Wesleyan and Western Virginia Tech by a combined 154-21

2003-SIU
Beat Quincy and St. Joseph's by a combined 139-14
No FBS opponents

2004-SIU
Lost 22-23 on the road to NIU by going for 2 with 54 seconds left in the game
Beat William Penn 59-9

2005-SIU
Lost 28-34 to W. Michigan(Greg Jennings and Tony Scheffler led) on the road, were within field goal until 1:50 left in the 4th
Beat Union College 82-7

2006-SIU
Beat Indiana on the road 35-28, Indiana would go on to a 3-5 Big Ten record with wins against Iowa, Ill, and MSU(we smoked em that year though)
Beat Lock Haven 49-0

2007-SIU
Beat NIU 34-31 on the road
Beat Quincy 59-14

2008- NIU
Lost to us 31-27 in a nail biter determined by Brewster going for it on 4th down in the 4th quarter, Ryan Collado's nightmare game. 1st game for Kill at NIU
Lost 13-9 at Tennesee was 3-3 going into the half, Starting QB was knocked out of the game, backup played well

Lost 16-0 against Navy, looks like the Triple option run by Ricky Dobbs ground them out and a few turnovers doomed them, they did move the ball well though.

Beat Indiana St. 48-3

2009- NIU
Lost 20-28 at Camp Randall against wisconsin in their season opener.
I remember watching this game in the parking lot of TCF and a badger fan posing as a gopher fan was crapping bricks, NIU recovered onside kick and were driving with 2 minutes left eventually lost on a 4th down broken up pass.

Beat Purdue 28-21 on the road

Beat Western Illinois 41-7

2010-NIU
Lost 10-27 against ISU on the road, a troubling one because Chanler Harnish was benched(2 year returning starter), backup QB threw 4 picks.
Perhaps a disciplinary/Harnish not working hard move?

Lost 22-28 @ Illinois, were within 2 points with 6:00 to play in the 4th, a really close one.

Smoked us 34-23 in a score that we know was further than that

Beat North Dakota 23-17

I think there's enough of a history here to feel good about Kill's ability to get his teams prepared and motivated in both games against more talented and less talented opponents.
I'd be interested to check out who NIU and SIU's big rivalries are with and compare that too.

:cool: Sip.
I vaguely remember posters mentioning about Jerry Kill (2008) before that game saying how good of a coach he was at SIU and really turned the program around. Coming of a 1-11 debacle the year before I was nervous about playing a HS JV team. Great stuff guys.

I just went off of ESPN's schedules, they only go back to 2002.

It's pretty interesting stuff.
BTW for those of us on the moral high ground about wisky's blowouts this year myself included, Kill has a history of pouring it on when he's against an inferior opponent, probably due to playing backups without changing gameplans(not just running the clock out, but executing the schemes)

BTW for those of us on the moral high ground about wisky's blowouts this year myself included, Kill has a history of pouring it on when he's against an inferior opponent, probably due to playing backups without changing gameplans(not just running the clock out, but executing the schemes)

Also, being a run-oriented team, when you're burning clock, what do you do? Keep running. He's not gonna tell his RBs to just fall down, so they probably just keep racking up yards on the ground and scoring. Like last year against Eastern Michigan when they won 71-3, they had 544 yards on the ground and only 102 passing. I doubt he was throwing it deep like Wisconsin did on IU last year lol, but I could be wrong.

So, if we beat Nebraska 84-3, will you be upset?

Seriously, I have always thought that if you are RUNNING the ball to kill the clock you should still try to score. If a player makes a pick or a fumble recovery, he should still try to score. Passing the ball is a bit classless if you're up by four scores--yet you should try to get a first down on every 3rd down.

Still, how many games have we blown in the 4th quarter over the last 20 years? I almost say score until the gun...you just never know.

Thanks

Thanks Ole for taking the time to do that. That was very interesting me.
I think it helps illustrate confirmation of the optimism in Coach Kill that some of us have is warranted.

So I'll add in what I think are the main "rivalry" games since 2002
Someone correct me if I'm wrong
At SIU its mainly UNI(panthers)
At NIU all I can find is a Ball St. trophy and some hostility with Toledo.

2002-SIU
Beat UNI 42-13

2003-SIU
Lost to UNI 40-43

2004-SIU
Beat UNI 40-36

2005-SIU
Lost to UNI 24-25

2006-SIU
Beat UNI 47-23

2007-SIU
Lost to UNI 30-24

2008-NIU
Lost bad to #17 Ball St 45-14, At this point Nate Davis had Ball St BCS bowl bound.
Beat Toledo 38-7

2009-NIU
Beat Ball St 26-20
Lost to Toledo 20-19, Toledo blocked GW FG at end of game

2010-NIU
Beat Ball St. 59-21
Beat Toledo 63-30
Geez, kinda pulled away last year. Hopefully this is us v iowee and wisky in 2013:cool:

Overall "Rivalry" games 3-3 v UNI
2-1 v Ball St
2-1 v Toledo

Good discussion & info.

One correction: 2009. NIU @ Wisconsin, you could not have been watching that from the TCF parking lot unless you were there waiting for the state fair bus. Gophers were at Syracuse that day and Wisconsin & NIU was the night game on BTN. I remember flipping back & forth between that & the Bama-VA Tech game at the Georgia Dome. You may be thinking of the next week when they sweated out a home win vs. Fresno State while we were all tailgating on a beautiful Saturday before the opener vs. Air Force.

As for running up the score, I feel the same way. If you're running it, it's not running it up. I never felt Wisconsin was running it up when they were in the 70s vs. Indiana & Northwestern. They were doing what they do and you can't expect James White to sit on it just because Clay & Ball got all the fun in the first three quarters. Passing it, going for 2, Urban Meyer kicking a FG when up 20-3 vs. Miami with 20 seconds left in 2008, probably because something Jimmy Johnson did to Galen Hall back in the 80s.....that's running it up.

I'd like for us to have to defend ourselves and our team for running it up on someone.......a good problem to have!

Ugh. This play pissed me off so much:

So, who has a defensive scheme with no pass rush and no deep safety help? Collado made his share of bad plays...but to me, this was a good WR making a good catch and a bad scheme that allowed for the TD. Collado had much worse over his career, getting beat on slants, double moves and just losing his guy...this wasn't one of his bad plays...IMO. And before I get ragged for ragging on RC...I liked him as a player...he should have never played as a FR and I think if we had one more year with him...he would have been a big part of our defense!

Dangit, it was Fresno st wasn't it? It was a the TCF Bank opener.

BTW I think this highlight was one of 2-3 big gainers against Collado, the kid hung in there and was a player for us last season, would be this season too, but this had to have been one he'd rather forget

Kill has a history of pouring it on when he's against an inferior opponent, probably due to playing backups without changing gameplans(not just running the clock out, but executing the schemes)

Sounds like a certain coach we had here from 1997-2006

Good info Ole....

As far as running it up, I think that you obviously can't run it up while running the ball. I also think you should allow the 2nd and 3rd stringers to run their offense. They shouldn't do trick plays or go for 2 or anything like that, but if a 3rd stringer actually gets into a game, I think he should be allowed to run the offense.

As long as we're on the topic of Kill kool aid here is a tweet from MarQueis Gray...

@goldengopherqb5
MarQueis Gray
No coaching staff was better for the job then the ones we have now!!!

I'm not a big run up the score guy, but what I do love about Kill is that fact that he doesn not change his offensive style when his team gets a lead. We all remember the conservative approach that Mason would take when he got a lead and how that resulted in the Michigan comeback in the Dome. I was very impressed at how NIU kept the pressure on the MN defense even when they got the lead at TCF last fall. I hope he continues that approach at MN. Keep the foot on the gas offensively until the game is fully decided.

Top Bottom