A $13.795 million decision: Potential buyout analysis for Gus Malzahn & his staff

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Montgomery Advertiser:

$8,950,000.

This is the estimated amount of money Auburn athletics would owe Gus Malzahn should the university decide to terminate his contract as head football coach at the end of this season. However, that doesn't begin to summarize the financial responsibilty if Malzahn should be removed from his position following the 2016 campaign.

The near $9 million figure, which is based off the contract extension given to Malzahn this past summer by Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs, would be the largest coaching buyout in Auburn University athletics history, topping the $7.5 million dollar buyout handed out to Gene Chizik following his termination at the end of the 2012 season.

In a review of the extension given to the Tigers' fourth-year head coach this past June, Malzahn will be owed $2,237,500 for each of the remaining years left on the contract if fired without cause. Therefore if the contract is terminated by Auburn at the end of the 2016 season, Malzahn would be owed for the 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 seasons he wouldn't be able to coach at the school, a figure that totals $8.95 million.

If that decision is made, it is unknown at this time whether Auburn officials and Malzahn’s agent Jimmy Sexton would come to a payment plan similar to the monthly pay structure given to Chizik following his termination. After being fired following the 2012 season where Auburn finished 3-9 and winless in the Southeastern Conference, Chizik was reportedly paid his $7.5 million in monthly installments of $209,457.84 through the 2015-2016 fiscal year.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...yout-analysis-gus-malzahn-his-staff/90623234/

Go Gophers!!

$8,950,000.

This is the estimated amount of money Auburn athletics would owe Gus Malzahn should the university decide to terminate his contract as head football coach at the end of this season. However, that doesn't begin to summarize the financial responsibilty if Malzahn should be removed from his position following the 2016 campaign.

The near $9 million figure, which is based off the contract extension given to Malzahn this past summer by Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs, would be the largest coaching buyout in Auburn University athletics history, topping the $7.5 million dollar buyout handed out to Gene Chizik following his termination at the end of the 2012 season.

In a review of the extension given to the Tigers' fourth-year head coach this past June, Malzahn will be owed $2,237,500 for each of the remaining years left on the contract if fired without cause. Therefore if the contract is terminated by Auburn at the end of the 2016 season, Malzahn would be owed for the 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 seasons he wouldn't be able to coach at the school, a figure that totals $8.95 million.

If that decision is made, it is unknown at this time whether Auburn officials and Malzahn’s agent Jimmy Sexton would come to a payment plan similar to the monthly pay structure given to Chizik following his termination. After being fired following the 2012 season where Auburn finished 3-9 and winless in the Southeastern Conference, Chizik was reportedly paid his $7.5 million in monthly installments of $209,457.84 through the 2015-2016 fiscal year.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...yout-analysis-gus-malzahn-his-staff/90623234/

Go Gophers!!
Reading this reminded me of the opening scene from Wedding Crashers.
2bd1b71bc9f2a2582d5a9d73412e8cd6.jpg

$8,950,000.

Go Gophers!!

are you insinuating that Gus Malzahn will be fired and then hired at MN?

So it isn't just the U that extends a coach only to fire them the next season?

He took them to a national title game. The SEC is crazy. Let the guy coach, let him recruit. Teams run hot and cold in that league, but they come around again. Bama is on a big hot streak, but they are due to fall back to the crowd. If I had just extended him, I'd trust my own judgement and keep him awhile longer.

He took them to a national title game. The SEC is crazy. Let the guy coach, let him recruit. Teams run hot and cold in that league, but they come around again. Bama is on a big hot streak, but they are due to fall back to the crowd. If I had just extended him, I'd trust my own judgement and keep him awhile longer.

Let rephrase that for you:

He found a way to pay Cam Newton to play a season for them. ......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to mention he won a national championship at Auburn as the offensive coordinator with Cam Newton.

Malzahn has had an interesting career. Was a HS head coach then made the jump to offensive coordinator at Arkansas with his 5* QB Mitch Mustain and worked his way up quickly from there.

Malzahn is definitely a formidable offensive mind, but maybe he isn't all he's cracked up to be in terms of being a head guy.

Top Bottom