9 wins, record APR, developing NFL talent = Fired? WTF?!

MGGopher

Reaction score
8 wins 3 out of 4 years
9 wins this year, including one of only 3 bowl wins for the B1G
Record APR year after year
Putting players in the NFL every year
Competitive in EVERY game this year, including against two top-10 teams
Clean, respected program except for the 1 very embarrassing incident which was poorly handled by MANY at the U

How the fvck does this get an entire staff fired?! I'm beyond livid. YOU CAN'T FIRE YOUR WAY TO BUILDING A PROGRAM. This will set Gopher FB back years.

Insubordinate behavior will get you fired from almost any job on the planet. Publicly contradicting the wishes of your boss is never smart.

Insubordinate behavior will get you fired from almost any job on the planet. Publicly contradicting the wishes of your boss is never smart.

Keeping him through the bowl game helped him keep his job for another week, but you can't lie about a meeting that your boss was present at and hope to keep your job.

Keeping him through the bowl game helped him keep his job for another week, but you can't lie about a meeting that your boss was present at and hope to keep your job.

You're right. At the U, only the bosses get to lie about a meeting.

Matter of fact Kaler and Coyle did it again about the Friday night into early Saturday morning meeting too!

Coyle should be fired then. He certainly told a different story than Kaler.

8 wins 3 out of 4 years
Clean, respected program except for the 1 very embarrassing incident which was poorly handled by MANY at the U

How the fvck does this get an entire staff fired?! I'm beyond livid. YOU CAN'T FIRE YOUR WAY TO BUILDING A PROGRAM. This will set Gopher FB back years.

I agree. This administration suck so bad

Coyle should be fired then. He certainly told a different story than Kaler.

Telling a different story than your boss doesn't necessarily mean it is insubordinate

Coyle clearly thought Claeys was or at least was enough to fire him. Does Kaler think coyle was?

If we played the schedule we played this year every year, we would average at least 9 wins a year. Nine wins this year wasn't such an incredible achievement. I like TC, have heard he is a good guy, and would have been happy if he stayed, but don't make it out like we had a great year....we had one decent win.

If we played the schedule we played this year every year, we would average at least 9 wins a year. Nine wins this year wasn't such an incredible achievement. I like TC, have heard he is a good guy, and would have been happy if he stayed, but don't make it out like we had a great year....we had one decent win.

Um, no. With this staff and the players they recruited and coached, YES, we might average 9 wins. Would Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, et al average 9 wins with that schedule? I think not.

So get ready, because there's a very real possibility we're headed to that territory. Hope you enjoyed our good season with "one decent win."

8 wins 3 out of 4 years

Got to disagree with you on this one...

Just because he wins 9 games this year doesn't necessarily make Claeys a good coach. You could easily argue he should have won ten or eleven, but didn't due to poor player prep, player improvement throughout the year, and coaching. Given our weak schedule nine wins should be considered a "C" grade for the year. Unfortunately the Big Ten once again lost most of their bowl games, but that doesn't really have any relevance for keeping him.

Putting players in the NFL every year? I would hardly brag about the fact we have had a few low round and/or free agent Gophers make NFL rosters. Compare to other Big 10 teams, we are in the bottom third. If you are really a quality program you should have players regularly drafted during the draft's first day. We are by no means there. This is not an area to be bragging about.

Competive in every game?...yes. Any upsets at all? Iowa? Wisconsin? Penn State? Nebraska? He lost them all. A good coach would have pulled out at least one or two of those games.

Claeys had little control of the team on(how many targeting penalties with the Gopher player standing cockily over the hurt player is too many?) and off the field(whether a crime was committed or not, that sort of conduct SHOULD NEVER OCCUR), didn't give any guidance to his players to know all the facts before their boycott embarrassment and didn't even know all the details of the EOAA report himself before his infamous tweet. Claeys may be a good assistant coach, but given the fact of his long history of coaching, as the head coach he made mistakes that someone with his experience never should have made.

You can like/dislike Kaler and/or Coyle, but they made the right decision. Let's see if/when he gets another D1 head coaching position.

I agree with many comments on the other threads that getting a quality coach to come here will be difficult, but sometimes it is just as important for who is not here.

I'm one who favored keeping Claeys ... He was a good man from everything thing I've read and seen from him. It was great having a secondary that wasn't constantly torched. I think we very easily could have been playing in the Rose Bowl this year with a few breaks...at least the championship game. I think his one flaw was sticking with ML ... programs all over the country sat down seniors. My only fear at the time was that the younger guys were not as good as ML. Now we have a lot more things to worry about.

8 wins 3 out of 4 years

Gotta love this logic. The same people who want to claim 8 wins 3 of 4 years also want to say it's stupid to fire Claeys because he's a 1st year head coach.

I know what the Gopher ticket office should do.. everyone of the "lynch mob" as well as everyone on GH who are supporting the firing -- guess what, you have to buy 4 season tickets each to make up for those like me, who will not be buying. I would imagine some opinions will change. Sad, sad day for Gopher football.

I know what the Gopher ticket office should do.. everyone of the "lynch mob" as well as everyone on GH who are supporting the firing -- guess what, you have to buy 4 season tickets each to make up for those like me, who will not be buying. I would imagine some opinions will change. Sad, sad day for Gopher football.
Im in. Wasn't going to renew, now I am. Not 4, but 2

You're right. At the U, only the bosses get to lie about a meeting.

Matter of fact Kaler and Coyle did it again about the Friday night into early Saturday morning meeting too!

Please explain further. I am not disagreeing, just not sure that I'm entirely following.

Coyle said it wasn't one incident that got him fired. Didn't it come out in the report or elsewhere that there was concern about the behavior of the football team going back several months, even into Kill's tenure? That's why I think he was fired.

Got to disagree with you on this one...

Just because he wins 9 games this year doesn't necessarily make Claeys a good coach. You could easily argue he should have won ten or eleven, but didn't due to poor player prep, player improvement throughout the year, and coaching. Given our weak schedule nine wins should be considered a "C" grade for the year. Unfortunately the Big Ten once again lost most of their bowl games, but that doesn't really have any relevance for keeping him.

Putting players in the NFL every year? I would hardly brag about the fact we have had a few low round and/or free agent Gophers make NFL rosters. Compare to other Big 10 teams, we are in the bottom third. If you are really a quality program you should have players regularly drafted during the draft's first day. We are by no means there. This is not an area to be bragging about.

Competive in every game?...yes. Any upsets at all? Iowa? Wisconsin? Penn State? Nebraska? He lost them all. A good coach would have pulled out at least one or two of those games.

Claeys had little control of the team on(how many targeting penalties with the Gopher player standing cockily over the hurt player is too many?) and off the field(whether a crime was committed or not, that sort of conduct SHOULD NEVER OCCUR), didn't give any guidance to his players to know all the facts before their boycott embarrassment and didn't even know all the details of the EOAA report himself before his infamous tweet. Claeys may be a good assistant coach, but given the fact of his long history of coaching, as the head coach he made mistakes that someone with his experience never should have made.

You can like/dislike Kaler and/or Coyle, but they made the right decision. Let's see if/when he gets another D1 head coaching position.

I agree with many comments on the other threads that getting a quality coach to come here will be difficult, but sometimes it is just as important for who is not here.

Fake account number 37 since the EOAA report broke...don't you have something better to do?

Fake account number 37 since the EOAA report broke...don't you have something better to do?

Fake number? No. I'm legit. I'm a Carlson alum, and have worked as a college administrator at UCONN, Iowa and the U of M, as well as the private sector. I've also bled Maroon and Gold my entire life. Just because I've lurked, and only recently signed up to post, hardly makes me fake. Only until this thread did I feel the need to post. I stand by each of my points, and no, at this point I feel the need to post my opinion. You, on the other hand, are quick to jump on a post that may be different than your own.

Gotta love this logic. The same people who want to claim 8 wins 3 of 4 years also want to say it's stupid to fire Claeys because he's a 1st year head coach.

Great work weather guy. Your boy Coyle is a real leader. Hope your happy.

8 wins 3 out of 4 years

Exactly

Coyle should have been fired for incompetent behavior long before TC could ever be insubordinate.

Coyle next please
Coyle next please
Coyle next please
Coyle next please
Coyle next please

Winning.......
Charlie Sheen

Yes, maybe that kid, his mother, and Joe Nathan (who delivered the big petition) will be keeping their season tickets, now that Claeys has been fired. Heck those 2400 signatures will add up to at least 7000 season tickets next year.

You're making this up. Unless you have proof that many people are saying both of these things.

And MGGopher is talking about the entire staff, not just Claeys.

Top Bottom