9 Gophers Participating In Pro Day On March 4

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

Gophers To Host Pro Day On March 4

The University of Minnesota football team will host a pro day for outgoing Gophers on Monday, March 4 at the Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex.

The following former Gophers are slated to work out for NFL teams: Michael Carter, Keanon Cooper, MarQueis Gray, Brandon Green, John Rabe, Mike Rallis, Spencer Reeves, Troy Stoudermire and Jordan Wettstein.

This session, which begins at 8 a.m., is not open to the public but is open to the media. Any potential interviews with the athletes will be conducted at the completion of the workout.

-Gopher Football-

Go Gophers!!

Why is DL Willhite not on this PRO DAY list?

per the U:

Gophers To Host Pro Day On March 4
The following former Gophers are slated to work out for NFL teams: Michael Carter, Keanon Cooper, MarQueis Gray, Brandon Green, John Rabe, Mike Rallis, Spencer Reeves, Troy Stoudermire and Jordan Wettstein.

Brandon Green, Jordan Wettstein and Spencer Reeves are working out at pro day and DL Willhite
is not? Is this some sort of mis-print or omission?

Willhite has pass rush ability, and really came on during his senior year.
Why would he not at least work out for the Pro Scouts? I would think they would like him on film.

Tweet from FSN's Tyler Mason:

"A few former #Gophers are also taking part in Pro Day, including RB Duane Bennett and CB Kim Royston."

Go Gophers!!

RT @gopherfootball: Reps from Vikings, Panthers, Browns, Broncos, Packers, Colts, Jaguars, Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, 49ers, Seahawks and Redskins at Pro Day

Go Gophers!!

Update from Joe Christenson: http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/195116941.html

A few things I noted:

>Do we believe Gray's lower 40 time is attributable to him actually getting faster as his injury healed over the past week, or might it be the more inaccurate measurements taken today vs. at the combine?

>Rallis' measurables are really impressive, but that's never been his problem...it's his ability to move in space, shed blocks, and finish at the point of contact. I wonder if he'll get any workout invites based on today?

>Fairly pedestrian 40 time by Michael Carter, especially given it was (seemingly) hand-timed. I have almost no doubt his size and performance on the field this year will get him a shot at somebody's training camp, but I bet scouts are overly-enthused about an almost 4.7 40.

>Terrell Sinkfield: Damn. Right in our backyard. Also interesting to note that his former teammate from Hopkins, Marcus Williams, was the defensive player of the year in FCS (I think) and is a top 5 CB prospect in 2014. No use crying over spilled milk, but just thought it interesting.

lol kim Royston now that is funny stuff.

That's a weird name to pick out to bash. Of all the guys listed, he would be one of the most likely to get a shot in the NFL. He runs decent, he could be a good special teams player, he can tackle, he can play multiple positions. Players of his skill set find ways to get on NFL rosters because they can cover kicks, cover punts, and backup multiple positions. I'm not saying that he will but the fact that you'd pick out Kim to laugh at is absurd.

I take it you're butthurt over some argument you had with his father on here? Do you really think that's going to get under SF24's skin? He knows what his kid has accomplished (NFL or not), and some nothing who hasn't done a thing besides HS sports (at best) takes a cheap shot at him? Ha. Good luck with all of that! Even if Kim never takes a snap in the NFL, he earned his degree and he accomplished more athletically than anything you could ever fathom, and you're taking cheap shots? Wow. . .it's like a fart ripping on the sunset.

That's a weird name to pick out to bash. Of all the guys listed, he would be one of the most likely to get a shot in the NFL. He runs decent, he could be a good special teams player, he can tackle, he can play multiple positions. Players of his skill set find ways to get on NFL rosters because they can cover kicks, cover punts, and backup multiple positions. I'm not saying that he will but the fact that you'd pick out Kim to laugh at is absurd.

I take it you're butthurt over some argument you had with his father on here? Do you really think that's going to get under SF24's skin? He knows what his kid has accomplished (NFL or not), and some nothing who hasn't done a thing besides HS sports (at best) takes a cheap shot at him? Ha. Good luck with all of that! Even if Kim never takes a snap in the NFL, he earned his degree and he accomplished more athletically than anything you could ever fathom, and you're taking cheap shots? Wow. . .it's like a fart ripping on the sunset.

I should hire you (assuming I could afford you) as my spokes person, I couldn't (and didn't) have said it better. Thank you.

Update from Joe Christenson: http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/195116941.html

A few things I noted:

>Do we believe Gray's lower 40 time is attributable to him actually getting faster as his injury healed over the past week, or might it be the more inaccurate measurements taken today vs. at the combine?

>Rallis' measurables are really impressive, but that's never been his problem...it's his ability to move in space, shed blocks, and finish at the point of contact. I wonder if he'll get any workout invites based on today?

>Fairly pedestrian 40 time by Michael Carter, especially given it was (seemingly) hand-timed. I have almost no doubt his size and performance on the field this year will get him a shot at somebody's training camp, but I bet scouts are overly-enthused about an almost 4.7 40.

>Terrell Sinkfield: Damn. Right in our backyard. Also interesting to note that his former teammate from Hopkins, Marcus Williams, was the defensive player of the year in FCS (I think) and is a top 5 CB prospect in 2014. No use crying over spilled milk, but just thought it interesting.

Not trying to annoy anyone but just trying to provide insight.

Terrell SR. is another of my many highschool football (an adult softball team mate) buddies. While not as tall as his son who is 6'1 or 6'2; he was a freakish athlete in his own right. I'm not claiming the gophers missed out on him but I am and will continue saying......we have some serious athletes in our own back yard.

Until the metro area develops it's football programs, I don't see how the gophers can get to the level they desire.....we (gophers) must stop soley recruiting leftovers from the south and figure out how to help the metro area programs develop....lord knows they can't seem to do it themselves.

Imagine if Terrell (jr) grew up playing football in a advanced program like we have in the suburbs versus Minneapolis hit and mostly miss programs. Better yet what if he grew up playing in a Ohio or Michigan type program? I saw him today; the kid is an all world athlete. He is tall and scary explosive.

Hands? Route running? Did I mention he is tall and explosive. This kid certainly has the physical ability to be a NFL player. He is perfect for a NFL practice squad. Reps, coaching and a QB who can get him the ball (something he never had a NI), he could really develop in a year or 3.

Terrell SR. is another of my many highschool football (an adult softball team mate) buddies. While not as tall as his son who is 6'1 or 6'2; he was a freakish athlete in his own right. I'm not claiming the gophers missed out on him but I am and will continue saying......we have some serious athletes in our own back yard.

Until the metro area develops it's football programs, I don't see how the gophers can get to the level they desire.....we (gophers) must stop soley recruiting leftovers from the south and figure out how to help the metro area programs develop....lord knows they can't seem to do it themselves.

Imagine if Terrell (jr) grew up playing football in a advanced program like we have in the suburbs versus Minneapolis hit and mostly miss programs. Better yet what if he grew up playing in a Ohio or Michigan type program? I saw him today; the kid is an all world athlete. He is tall and scary explosive.

Hands? Route running? Did I mention he is tall and explosive. This kid certainly has the physical ability to be a NFL player. He is perfect for a NFL practice squad. Reps, coaching and a QB who can get him the ball (something he never had a NI), he could really develop in a year or 3.

For once, I couldn't agree with you more! Well said.

+1. I agree with everything you said! Nicely said Bob!

Rare occurrence when I agree with you SF24. But, I agree with all you just said. Nicely stated! :)

Gray might have ran faster simply due to being on a familiar track. Lots of guys run faster at their pro day than they do in Indy. Sometimes the home track is actually a faster surface than what they have at Indy (scouts will adjust times after the fact for that) or just being in familiar surroundings accounts for the difference.

Disappointed in Mike Carter's 40 time, he definitely won't be drafted with that time. Hope he still gets a shot in someones camp.

Vikings' Bill Musgrave: MarQueis Gray's 'fit' being examined now

Three Things ...

Here is Vikings offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave, who attended the Gophers' Pro Day on Monday, March 4, to scout University of Minnesota seniors and players from other colleges ...

On which position he believes Gophers quarterback/ wide receiver MarQueis Gray would play in the NFL: "That's what all 32 teams are trying to ascertain right now -- where he might fit best. We're going to keep doing work on him. We watched a lot of film on him, and he had a good career."

On whether Gray's 40-yard dash time of 4.67 at Pro Day and 4.73 at the scouting combine diminish his chances to play wide receiver in the NFL: "That remains to be seen. I know all the teams will test him and watch his film and try to project him in a certain role in the NFL."

On whether Gray can play quarterback in the NFL: "That remains to be seen. He has a lot of good experience, and he's a terrific athlete. He did very well at the combine -- very sharp in the interviews."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/c...ll-musgrave-marqueis-grays-fit-being-examined

Go Gophers!!

Vikings' Bill Musgrave: MarQueis Gray's 'fit' being examined now

Three Things ...

Here is Vikings offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave, who attended the Gophers' Pro Day on Monday, March 4, to scout University of Minnesota seniors and players from other colleges ...

On which position he believes Gophers quarterback/ wide receiver MarQueis Gray would play in the NFL: "That's what all 32 teams are trying to ascertain right now -- where he might fit best. We're going to keep doing work on him. We watched a lot of film on him, and he had a good career."

On whether Gray's 40-yard dash time of 4.67 at Pro Day and 4.73 at the scouting combine diminish his chances to play wide receiver in the NFL: "That remains to be seen. I know all the teams will test him and watch his film and try to project him in a certain role in the NFL."

On whether Gray can play quarterback in the NFL: "That remains to be seen. He has a lot of good experience, and he's a terrific athlete. He did very well at the combine -- very sharp in the interviews."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/c...ll-musgrave-marqueis-grays-fit-being-examined

Go Gophers!!

Musgrave says a lot without saying anything.

Musgrave says a lot without saying anything.

I think if you read between the lines he's saying a lot. I don't think this works out for MG and I'm honestly hoping he can go make a living in the CFL for a few years, perhaps even as a QB, rather than be some practice squad project who never gets a chance.

but then, how long does a guy need to develop? he has had four years at uni, which for most of those four years was arguably better at producing nfl talent than minnesota (especially if you consider the performances by the minnesota seniors at pro day). that's a DI school and he totalled 76 total receptions and 10 tds.

i am not saying that i follow uni or this guy, but if he had it all, would four years of "more davanced training" (yes those are implicative scare quotes) at edina or minnetonka have really helped him to develop. i mean he went to hopkins, not red lake.

but then, how long does a guy need to develop? he has had four years at uni, which for most of those four years was arguably better at producing nfl talent than minnesota (especially if you consider the performances by the minnesota seniors at pro day). that's a DI school and he totalled 76 total receptions and 10 tds.

i am not saying that i follow uni or this guy, but if he had it all, would four years of "more davanced training" (yes those are implicative scare quotes) at edina or minnetonka have really helped him to develop. i mean he went to hopkins, not red lake.

The offense at UNI was for a running QB who could not throw.

He showed up at Hopkins with the fundamentals of a 6th grader. He is a world class athelete who really hasn't been coached anywhere.

You know why CDH football is so damn good? It's because kids are coached by former NFL and D1 college football players for 4 years. Seldom do they produce all world athletes. There was absolutely nothing athleticly special about Joe Maurer, Ryan Harris, Mike Floyd, Kim Royston, Ralph Eubanks ECT. With the exception of 6'7, 330lb Seantrel, those guys are good in their crafts, they didn't out athlete anyone. Sure they were talented but they were also well coached and hard workers.

TS defines the word RAW. It's unfortunate he never mastered his craft, he is a blank canvas that any coach would love to have.

The offense at UNI was for a running QB who could not throw.

He showed up at Hopkins with the fundamentals of a 6th grader. He is a world class athelete who really hasn't been coached anywhere.

You know why CDH football is so damn good? It's because kids are coached by former NFL and D1 college football players for 4 years. Seldom do they produce all world athletes. There was absolutely nothing athleticly special about Joe Maurer, Ryan Harris, Mike Floyd, Kim Royston, Ralph Eubanks ECT. With the exception of 6'7, 330lb Seantrel, those guys are good in their crafts, they didn't out athlete anyone. Sure they were talented but they were also well coached and hard workers.

TS defines the word RAW. It's unfortunate he never mastered his craft, he is a blank canvas that any coach would love to have.

Nothing athletically special about Joe Mauer? Dude, c'mon. If it were all about working hard and being well-coached, all of the Mauer boys would've been #1 overall draft picks, not selling cars and coaching minor league baseball.

Nothing athletically special about Joe Mauer? Dude, c'mon. If it were all about working hard and being well-coached, all of the Mauer boys would've been #1 overall draft picks, not selling cars and coaching minor league baseball.

I'm not saying he wasn't a off the planet talent as a baseball or football player...hell even basketball player. I'm saying the most special metric he had was his height and there is nothing special about that.

Husain Bolt at 6'5 running a 9'7 100 is a crazy athlete. Randy Bruer at 7'4 is a special athlete, Seantrel at 6'7, 330lbs and being able to move the way he does is a special athlete.

Joe Maurer is a SKILLED athlete and some of that can be taught. You can't teach 9'7 unless 10'3 is already there.

All or most of the Mauer boys playing professional baseball proves my point.

All or most of the Mauer boys playing professional baseball proves my point.

Actually, it disproves your point. Hard work, determination, and proper coaching can only get you so far. The other Mauer boys maxed out at single A/double A, whatever, because they're just not as talented as Joe. You or I or 99.9999% of the rest of the population could've been schooled in baseball from the time we could walk, and we would've never been the #1 overall draft pick and MVP. We probably could've made it to single or double A like the other Mauer boys, but we just lack the physical attributes to go further. That's not to discount hard work, determination, and proper coaching. You need all of them (including God-given talent) to succeed.

I agree with Dpodoll68 on Joe Mauer and SF21

Joe Mauer had terrific coaching but he was born with the swing he has. Joe Mauer could hit line drives off over hand toss pitching when he was 3 years old, and you cannot teach that your born with that gift.
On the Sinkfield kid, you cannot teach freakish speed for a 6-1 to 6-2 guy. He is likely a 4.3 guy and you usually are born with incredible speed, not taught. He fell down and still ran a 4.41 that is impressive even if it is hand timed. That is crazy quick, Sinkfield will be getting tryouts and looks from a lot of teams with that speed.

Joe Mauer had terrific coaching but he was born with the swing he has. Joe Mauer could hit line drives off over hand toss pitching when he was 3 years old, and you cannot teach that your born with that gift.
On the Sinkfield kid, you cannot teach freakish speed for a 6-1 to 6-2 guy. He is likely a 4.3 guy and you usually are born with incredible speed, not taught. He fell down and still ran a 4.41 that is impressive even if it is hand timed. That is crazy quick, Sinkfield will be getting tryouts and looks
from a lot of teams with that speed.

I agree with you.

Top Bottom