9 committments...

I would assume more kids will transfer when they have to move to a position they do not want to play. I don't think the staff will intentionally run anyone off, but I don't think they will let players continue to get reps at positions where they have zero chance to compete.

Not sure which list you are referring to, but Rivals has not added Murray yet to the list and McDonald is a soft verbal (hopefully he becomes solid again)

Corc is right, there will be some natural attrition that occurs everytime a new coach takes over and starts moving people around. I couldn't and I wouldn't speculate on who won't be around, but if I had to guess, our class next season will be right around 20 kids.

P.S. Murray is a Gopher commit, I don't know why Rivals hasn't added him yet, but he was offered and he did accept the offer. I also heard from someone at the camp that Murray was REALLY impressive at CB, so take that for as little as an anonymous message board posting is worth but I try not to get too much into the "a little birdie" told me stuff, but it's a slow time of the year.

Corc is right, there will be some natural attrition that occurs everytime a new coach takes over and starts moving people around. I couldn't and I wouldn't speculate on who won't be around, but if I had to guess, our class next season will be right around 20 kids.

P.S. Murray is a Gopher commit, I don't know why Rivals hasn't added him yet, but he was offered and he did accept the offer. I also heard from someone at the camp that Murray was REALLY impressive at CB, so take that for as little as an anonymous message board posting is worth but I try not to get too much into the "a little birdie" told me stuff, but it's a slow time of the year.

Hold on there Bob. How can that be? After all he has no other offers, not even from W. Michigan, and is not rated! How can Coach Kill build a winner by taking these type of kids over 4 and 5 star studs? {:>)

Yeah Bayfield, I don't know. I have no way of knowing whether or not Coach Kill will be succesful at the U but I think it's safe to say that most of the kids getting offerred at this time, our staff is pretty confident that they can get into school and play at a high level. There are multiple fringe MN prospects who haven't gotten offers, so it's not like Coach Kill is just "taking what he can get". I would be more worried about these kids ratings and offers if these signings were late in the process. But this early, I think Coach Kill really likes the kids that get offers.

Another thing about Murray, if he happened to be DJ Hebert, who doesn't have any Bowl Subdivision offers either but is from Osseo, I don't think there would be nearly as much backlash for this kid. My point is that MN kids would seem to be getting the benefit of the doubt that they could play and "must've impressed at camp".

Now, i'm not saying things will automatically work out well with Kill and I have no idea about his ability to judge talent. We will see how these things turn out. I guess my point is that with a kid like Murray, it isn't so much that Coach Kill couldn't recruit and was "stuck with him" as much as Coach Kill really liked this kid despite not being a highley rated player from rivals or whatever.

It is a slow time of the year but...

...your birdie has been chirping a lot about Murray. I am afraid it is old news but hopefully still good news. The stories ranged from how they asked him to come back to try DB position. When he did, he was so impressive that he shut down Andre McDonald. The stories also included an excellent electronic time/speed and what great athleticism he had.

Sometimes stories improve with age and sometimes they actually prove to be true. Let's hope this one turns out to be the latter. If it does, we will be calling Jerry Kill and his staff greatest evaluators of unrecognized talent. If it doesn't, we will be hearing a lot of people saying I told you so. The one thing I know is that it isn't going to be answered here no matter how many times the same thing is repeated.

Please god, bring on fall football camp. I think we are getting very bored.

Hold on there Bob. How can that be? After all he has no other offers, not even from W. Michigan, and is not rated! How can Coach Kill build a winner by taking these type of kids over 4 and 5 star studs? {:>)

Didn't you hear? There is a conspiracy of disinformation. :rolleyes:

...your birdie has been chirping a lot about Murray. I am afraid it is old news but hopefully still good news. The stories ranged from how they asked him to come back to try DB position. When he did, he was so impressive that he shut down Andre McDonald. The stories also included an excellent electronic time/speed and what great athleticism he had.

Sometimes stories improve with age and sometimes they actually prove to be true. Let's hope this one turns out to be the latter. If it does, we will be calling Jerry Kill and his staff greatest evaluators of unrecognized talent. If it doesn't, we will be hearing a lot of people saying I told you so. The one thing I know is that it isn't going to be answered here no matter how many times the same thing is repeated.

I completely hear what you are saying and I actually agree on everything you said. However, this is the first time i've said anything about Murray, and i've never said anything about a possible Murray/McDonald showdown. And, I don't know anything about his 40 or how it was timed. All I know is that someone told me he looked really impressive at camp, that was the extent of what I heard. I completely agree with you about that it doesn't matter what people say on here and you're right, I probably should've kept it to myself. But I did only say it once (well, now twice..lol).

Bob_Loblaw

I completely hear what you are saying and I actually agree on everything you said. However, this is the first time i've said anything about Murray, and i've never said anything about a possible Murray/McDonald showdown. And, I don't know anything about his 40 or how it was timed. All I know is that someone told me he looked really impressive at camp, that was the extent of what I heard. I completely agree with you about that it doesn't matter what people say on here and you're right, I probably should've kept it to myself. But I did only say it once (well, now twice..lol).

I apologize for my comment. It was not directed at you but I should have known that is how you would read it.

What I was referring to with my comment is all the postings about Erik Murray and coach Kill's recruiting. I don't mind different opinions but I do mind when people regurgitate the same thing over and over. It felt like the movie Groundhog Day.

If these Murray stories are true...

it's not a far-fetched assumption to believe that Kill is applying the same tough standards re speed and athleticism etc to all his evaluations and offerings.

OTOH, the skeptics/cynics/doomers will say "No way, can't be true, the kid's star-less...these stories are just well-timed bogus leaks from Kill & Co and other program toadies designed to pump-up a MAC-type recruiting strategy which will fail in the B1G."

Unfortunately, none of us will know the real story about these athletes until they sign, report for summer school 2012, participate in 2/d camp and then gameday. As Kill is fond of saying, they are alll "paper tigers" until they get on the field and actually contribute consistently game in and game out.

In the meantime, to help cope with the summer doldrums, as GHers we'll to do what we do best: hear more stories, speculate, debate facts/history/statistics, express opinions and continue to post possible scenarios about this class and Kill's future in Minneapolis.

it's not a far-fetched assumption to believe that Kill is applying the same tough standards re speed and athleticism etc to all his evaluations and offerings.

OTOH, the skeptics/cynics/doomers will say "No way, can't be true, the kid's star-less...these stories are just well-timed bogus leaks from Kill & Co and other program toadies designed to pump-up a MAC-type recruiting strategy which will fail in the B1G."

Unfortunately, none of us will know the real story about these athletes until they sign, report for summer school 2012, participate in 2/d camp and then gameday. As Kill is fond of saying, they are alll "paper tigers" until they get on the field and actually contribute consistently game in and game out.

In the meantime, to help cope with the summer doldrums, as GHers we'll to do what we do best: hear more stories, speculate, debate facts/history/statistics, express opinions and continue to post possible scenarios about this class and Kill's future in Minneapolis.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but the hardest part about Kill's recruiting is that we don't have the hype of all the studs he is running around and offering like we seemed to have wtih Brewster. We did not get those guys, but we had the vision of a recruiting machine out there selling the glories of the M&G. Now we have half a class lined up with close to zero fanfare after McDonald's commitment. I don't know if the old staff had someone leaking stuff to the local sites, but the level of information definitely seems lower, or maybe it's just me.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but the hardest part about Kill's recruiting is that we don't have the hype of all the studs he is running around and offering like we seemed to have wtih Brewster. We did not get those guys, but we had the vision of a recruiting machine out there selling the glories of the M&G. Now we have half a class lined up with close to zero fanfare after McDonald's commitment. I don't know if the old staff had someone leaking stuff to the local sites, but the level of information definitely seems lower, or maybe it's just me.

Agreed. Brewster is like the guy who chartered the best fishing boat and went to the best waters and didn't land as much as those on shore thought he would (although he didn't come back empty-handed). But I give credit to him for trying. He was about buzz and energy and bringing greater attention to recruiting is part of that.

Top Bottom