7-2. Positioned for a fun final three games.

Tucker32

Reaction score
The Gophers are 7-2. People really hung up with who they have beat and how. They are still 7-2.

MSU got beat by Illinois yesterday.

Iowa beat Rutgers 14-7. They got beat by NDSU and were crushed by PSU yesterday.

Wisconsin barely beat Georgia someone, and all their wins but one against teams that are proving to maybe not be very good.

Nebraska not even competitive with OSU. They had close games with Purdue and Illinois.

You can find all kinds of teams in college football barely squeaking by against teams you may have expected them to blow out, or lose games they should win. The Gophers have won, even if not always perfectly, the games they should have.

It's college football, not the NFL. Every team but the top few look good and bad game to game and series to series. We have a team that is 7-2 and I'm confident they will be competitive in the final three games, probably going 2-1 or 1-2. If love to see the Axe at the state fair again.

There is a lot to feel good about. The defense is improving, while playing a ton of young kids who will just get better. Offense is scoring, and scoring when D causes turnovers.

Mistakes by players and coaches? Sure, and every team has the same type of things happening. A 7-2 coach is not in danger of losing his job. A 7-5 coach, maybe, but he is 7-2 now so quit worrying about (or hoping for some weird reason) if he will get fired and enjoy the final three games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gophers could just be one of those teams that finds a way to win ugly. It makes it nerve-racking to be a fan, but it's never dull. I could envision a scenario where they win 2 of the remaining three games, but I could just as easily envision a scenario where they get blown out in all three games - and (here's the kicker), neither outcome would surprise me.

Unfortunately they found a way to lose ugly, twice, or this weekend would be incredibly fun.

Making a big deal that the Gophers are still in it with 3 games to go (that's great), but it's basically a one loss elimination at this point. If we lose this week it will be over with 2 weeks to play and the mood will totally change. Now if they can win their next 2, it will be a big deal, but even then they have to beat Wisconsin in Wisconsin. This celebrating being "in the hunt" with 3 to play is silly. If that's our goal then what's the point? The Big Ten season is only 2/3 over. Yep, I'm a debbie downer, I watch this offense struggle against terrible defenses and I wonder what will change against 2 to 3 defenses that are Iowa caliber or better. For some reason I think Leidner had the worst game of his career against Iowa and can't play that bad again but I still think the upcoming defenses are much better than the last 4 we've faced. Gift turnovers, great field position, a defensive score, and a kick return TD have all masked this O's inability to close out games or make sustained drives when needed. It will have to change drastically and the light will have to flip on for the Gophers to REALISTICALLY contend for the Big Ten West crown. Maybe they'll continue to get fortunate.

The Gophers are 7-2. People really hung up with who they have beat and how. They are still 7-2.

MSU got beat by Illinois yesterday.

Iowa beat Rutgers 14-7. They got beat by NDSU and were crushed by PSU yesterday.

Wisconsin barely beat Georgia someone, and all their wins but one against teams that are proving to maybe not be very good.

Nebraska not even competitive with OSU. They had close games with Purdue and Illinois.

You can find all kinds of teams in college football barely squeaking by against teams you may have expected them to blow out, or lose games they should win. The Gophers have won, even if not always perfectly, the games they should have.

It's college football, not the NFL. Every team but the top few look good and bad game to game and series to series. We have a team that is 7-2 and I'm confident they will be competitive in the final three games, probably going 2-1 or 1-2. If love to see the Axe at the state fair again.

There is a lot to feel good about. The defense is improving, while playing a ton of young kids who will just get better. Offense is scoring, and scoring when D causes turnovers.

Mistakes by players and coaches? Sure, and every team has the same type of things happening. A 7-2 coach is not in danger of losing his job. A 7-5 coach, maybe, but he is 7-2 now so quit worrying about (or hoping for some weird reason) if he will get fired and enjoy the final three games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great post. The goal is to win games. My guy Brad Gilbert literally wrote the book "Winning Ugly" - it's the same result as winning pretty and a much better result than losing pretty. Texas Tech loses pretty all the time, and I'd much rather be our 7-2 than their 4-5.

Nebraska is beatable. I'm excited to see what happens.

Go Gophers!!

Two things are worse than barely beating bad teams:

1) Losing to bad teams
2) Being the bad teams

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Making a big deal that the Gophers are still in it with 3 games to go (that's great), but it's basically a one loss elimination at this point. If we lose this week it will be over with 2 weeks to play and the mood will totally change. Now if they can win their next 2, it will be a big deal, but even then they have to beat Wisconsin in Wisconsin. This celebrating being "in the hunt" with 3 to play is silly. If that's our goal then what's the point? The Big Ten season is only 2/3 over. Yep, I'm a debbie downer, I watch this offense struggle against terrible defenses and I wonder what will change against 2 to 3 defenses that are Iowa caliber or better. For some reason I think Leidner had the worst game of his career against Iowa and can't play that bad again but I still think the upcoming defenses are much better than the last 4 we've faced. Gift turnovers, great field position, a defensive score, and a kick return TD have all masked this O's inability to close out games or make sustained drives when needed. It will have to change drastically and the light will have to flip on for the Gophers to REALISTICALLY contend for the Big Ten West crown. Maybe they'll continue to get fortunate.

4th in the Big Ten in scoring offense. 4th in the Big Ten in rushing offense. More than 40 points in two straight Big Ten games. Averaging over 30 ppg overall - 27 ppg in Big Ten games. It's not surprising that you continue to ignore substantive facts and keep spewing your nonsense.

Gift turnovers, great field position, a defensive score, and a kick return TD have all masked this O's inability to close out games or make sustained drives when needed.

The Gophers have scored more points in the fourth quarter than any other quarter. +40 in the fourth quarter. The Gophers have six TD drives of 70 yards or more in the fourth quarter this year.

MN was down 23-17 in the fourth quarter against Oregon State. Scored twice including an 8 play 57 yard drive with 1:27 to play to win by 7.

MN was tied 20-20 at Penn State. Kicked field goal with 54 seconds to play following 11 play, 58 yard drive. (MN tied game at 20 with 8 play, 87 yard drive earlier in the fourth).

MN was down 32-31 in the fourth quarter against Rutgers. Had field goal with six seconds to play following 13 play 59 yard drive.

MN outscored Purdue 14-3 in the fourth quarter on Saturday.

The Gophers could just be one of those teams that finds a way to win ugly. It makes it nerve-racking to be a fan, but it's never dull. I could envision a scenario where they win 2 of the remaining three games, but I could just as easily envision a scenario where they get blown out in all three games - and (here's the kicker), neither outcome would surprise me.

I whole heartedly agree with you. But, Here's my kicker: I could envision a scenario where the Gophers win all three not just two of them. We got the talent. Need Rodney Smith's ankle to heal by Saturday and Brook's hip for starters.

And the Big Ten overturning the Rallis suspension wouldn't hurt either!

The Gophers have scored more points in the fourth quarter than any other quarter. +40 in the fourth quarter. The Gophers have six TD drives of 70 yards or more in the fourth quarter this year.

MN was down 23-17 in the fourth quarter against Oregon State. Scored twice including an 8 play 57 yard drive with 1:27 to play to win by 7.

MN was tied 20-20 at Penn State. Kicked field goal with 54 seconds to play following 11 play, 58 yard drive. (MN tied game at 20 with 8 play, 87 yard drive earlier in the fourth).

MN was down 32-31 in the fourth quarter against Rutgers. Had field goal with six seconds to play following 13 play 59 yard drive.

MN outscored Purdue 14-3 in the fourth quarter on Saturday.

Try not to use great examples because they're wasted on some people who have an agenda.

Unfortunately they found a way to lose ugly, twice, or this weekend would be incredibly fun.

Every loss is painful. Close losses are frustrating. Ugly is pulling a last week Nebraska, or Iowa, or going to the Sparty vs Rutgers game.

Top Bottom