5th Annual GopherHole Survey - Summary Part II

DL65

Reaction score
This summary focuses on the responses to the GopherHole site and Fun Questions.

Two words appeared frequently in the remarks of the participants that best describe GopherHole: community and friendships! All communities, however, have moments of discord and that is readily apparent in the "What Do You Dislike About GopherHole?" Nevertheless, the vast majority of respondents appreciate the inside information, passion, humor, rumors, diverse opinions and lively discussions that occur in the forums.

GopherLady was frequently cited for her in-depth articles and postings on the message boards. Also recognized for their contributions (articles and posting of inside info and links to other pubications) were parkinglotgopher, bleedgopher, grunkiejr, cduff, selectionsunday, Johnny Gopher, etc.

Additional points in "What Do You Like About GopherHole?"

1) In-depth articles by GopherLady and Where Are they Now?
2) Recruiting info and updates.
3) Postings by parents and former players.
4) Rick Mons's Predict the Score.
5) Great price.

Jike Spingleton: "Being out of state . . . this is how I stay connected to the athletic programs. Great mix of informative and funny posters."

dpodoll68: "This is the go-to-source for Gopher news and opinions. You can always find plenty of info about current events, and the Hole almost always breaks the news before anyone else."

Norman Dale: "This being the foremost place to get timely Gopher sports info but more importantly the strong friendships I've developed with some of the people who frequent GopherHole."

GopherLady: "I also love the friendships -- I've made some of my best friends from this site, met incredible Gopher fans, and have loved the stories that all of them shared. It really is a community/family."

What Do You Dislike About GopherHole?

1) Trolls.
2) Hijacking of threads - makes the board unreadable at times.
3) Posters with agendas.
4) Mason versus Brewster threads.
5) Mike Hohensee threads with every offensive opening.
6) Hurtful and disrespectful remarks directed at players and other posters.
7) Arguing for arguing sake and childish remarks.
8) Posting of multiple threads of the same topic.
9) Board meltdowns after a loss (some respondents did say they found it humorous, however).

Miss Trixie: "The extremely disrespectful tone that some people bring to some of the discussions. The pissing contests. The rare posts that evolve into crude comments about women's physical attributes (geez guys, grow up). The people who make racially or culturally insensitive comments (perhaps without realizing it) and get defensive when challenged -- none of us are perfect and we should be willing to take feedback and analyze our own attitudes and perceptions."

MBAGuy: "Incessant complaining about media."

VACTERL: "Know-it-alls, personality clashes, arguing for the sake of arguing, (which is rampant here).

What Improvements or Changes Would You Implement?

1) Putting a quick hook on the trolls and out of control threads.
2) More in-depth articles of players and coaches and former players (Where Are They Now?)
3) Q & A with recruits.
4) Get more fans on board -- Market GopherHole to the Gopher fan base.
5) Update Main Page in a timely manner.
6) Articles related to upcoming opponents.
7) Post game anaylsis articles - What went right and wrong, standout performances.
8) GopherHole sponsored event -- Tailgate Party.
9) More info in the off season (football) of weight and condition records.
10) More hockey, baseball, and less publicized sports.
11) Gameday previews for basketball.

BrewsterBooster: "Maybe find someone who wants to be GH historian and they can do a story now and then on something they have researched. Maybe a guest journalist once in a while?"

gophermartin: "More pictures from games . . . and depth charts posted before games."

Fun Questions:

Favorite Football Game

There was a wide range of games listed, however, the ones that received the most votes are as follows:

Air Force (2009) opening of TCF Stadium - 46
Michigan State (2009) - 11
Minnesota vs Wisconsin 2003, Rhys Lloyd winning kick - 11

Basketball

Minnesota defeating Wisconsin (Vincent Grier game) - 11
Minnesota defeating Wisconsin in 2009 - 7
Minnesota defeating Indiana by 50 points - 5

Road games football and/or basketball:

There are a lot of GopherHolers that travel to out-of-town games. However, Jike Spingleton is the traveling champ. Jike has visited 19 different sites and in some cases multiple trips (total multiple trips - 24). Additionally, he made 6 of the 7 home games in 2009. Round trip miles for each game is 2,200 miles.

If possible, what non-conference opponent would you like to have on the Gopher schedule annually (football and/or basketball)? Again, a wide range of choices, but the winning totals were:

Football

Nebraska - 66
Iowa State - 47
Notre Dame - 19
Service Academies - 6
Missouri - 6

Basketball

Marquette - 34
Iowa State - 19
Kansas - 12

Again, I want to thank all who participated in this year's survey. I trust you found it fun, interesting and informative.

Kudos to the GopherHole Staff/Admins for the outstanding site, service and work they produce.

Go Gophers!!

Fun survey - fun read

And I got a shout out! If I didn't like the survey before, I do now heh.

I did. Before.

Thanks dude!

Well done, fun and interesting. Even those of us who remember the era of Gopher FB in the late 50's early 60's with fond memories of great Football in old Memorial Stadium appreciate the new breed of fan that now has the opportunity at TCF to experience the same. Thanks DL, and GO GOPHERS!

I think I've seen Jike in most Big Ten cities, but I don't recall ever seeing him in Minneapolis, lol.]

Meaning that there are too many Gopher fans at home games, not that he isn't there as well.

There are a lot of GopherHolers that travel to out-of-town games. However, Jike Spingleton is the traveling champ. Jike has visited 19 different sites and in some cases multiple trips (total multiple trips - 24). Additionally, he made 6 of the 7 home games in 2009. Round trip miles for each game is 2,200 miles.

Looks like I've got a new title! Seriously, I don't even want to think about how much money I spent last year on Gopher football, but I will say that I reached platinum frequent flyer status on US Airways just from my football travels over a two-month span.

I think I've seen Jike in most Big Ten cities, but I don't recall ever seeing him in Minneapolis, lol.

True, we seem to frequently cross paths at road games. For a few years, it was basically the same people who went to all the games, so even if we didn't know names, we all recognized each other. Norman Dale has a good story of remembering me from the ill-fated Toledo trip in 2001.

Looks like I've got a new title! Seriously, I don't even want to think about how much money I spent last year on Gopher football, but I will say that I reached platinum frequent flyer status on US Airways just from my football travels over a two-month span.

True, we seem to frequently cross paths at road games. For a few years, it was basically the same people who went to all the games, so even if we didn't know names, we all recognized each other. Norman Dale has a good story of remembering me from the ill-fated Toledo trip in 2001.

Jike, you are a supreme-road warrior. Somehow trying to write about a chance encounter between 2 Gopher footballs fans at a rest stop off the I-80 Ohio Turnpike just won't come out the way it should. But is was funny looking back at it.

Top Bottom