500,000 and still counting

stocker08

Reaction score
Imagine being so naive and selfish to think that if only everyone did it my way, no one would have died.

The data also proves you wrong, as we let the states experiment with different degrees of lockdowns and regulations. States with the most stringent lockdowns didn’t fare any better on average than those with the least.

In other news....countries that took it seriously and adhered to STRICT guidelines are now out and about and enjoying a covid free existence.

But hey.......at least the rock biters got their FREEDOM!

RememberMurray

Reaction score
It's just childish and selfish. People need to grow up. Sadly it was a bunch of old fuddy duddies that fit the bill of anti maskers. They acted no different than the immature people partying at spring break last year.

In both cases, the mentality is: "It's all about me!" At least the kids will be able to point to their own callow youth as an excuse for their stupidity.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
In other news....countries that took it seriously and adhered to STRICT guidelines are now out and about and enjoying a covid free existence.

But hey.......at least the rock biters got their FREEDOM!

Facts.... I guess I'm the foolish one for thinking maybe some of the idiots around here had woken up to reality.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Yes, and we liberals need to turn off our empathy. We really do need to quit obsessing about all the families who have lost loved ones. (sarcasm). Oh, and 500,000 dead is "a small number"? Wow.

You guys really are unbelievable.
Hey dipshit, didn't you read my first post? My mom died on January 15th from cancer. There is no ignoring grief. The fact is that every human being will die and the living will grieve their death. The fact is that the 500,000 number dying from Covid is inflated. The fact is that 99% of the population is surviving this pandemic. These are all facts, which your faux "science" brain cannot seem to compute. Apparently you're a dumbass so you can't comprehend.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
So his/her 'feelings' are more important than putting his/her employees at risk in a global pandemic which has caused, to date, at least 500,000 deaths in the U.S.?

That's brilliant.

Man, if I was you I'd be actively looking for a different job.
Yep... For now I stay in my office, wear a mask to and from the restroom, and scowl as I walk past the conference room full of unmasked people. Eventually I may just have to resign without a new job.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
It's just childish and selfish. People need to grow up. Sadly it was a bunch of old fuddy duddies that fit the bill of anti maskers. They acted no different than the immature people partying at spring break last year.
Older people actually seemed on board with masks. It was the 30s-50s crowd that seemed more anti-mask.

MennoSota

Reaction score
There was an 18% increase in overall deaths in 2020. That’s pretty significant.
That's a blip when you look at numbers instead of percentage. But, that's why statisticians will use percentages. They can make a tiny blip seem like an astronomically high death toll.
I am not saying that Covid did not kill people. Of course it did. I am saying that the numbers, held up against the total population, are not devastating to our society.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
We have a small number...and the number is inflated. Look at the glass as 99% full for a change.
500k dead will always be a catastrophe, no matter how small a percentage of the total population that is.

Las Vegas shooting: "that's only 0.00000185 of the population dead, so it really wasn't a big deal, relax"

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Anyway, back to serious discussion:

The UK variant has never been the scary one. SA, Brazil, and their future mutations that are happening faster than our vaccine roll out are scarier. UK was just the first identified.

I saw today that vaccine makers will only be required to pass minimal trials for any "fine tuning" version of their vaccines, before they're approved.

No different than the annual tuning for the flu shot.

As is correct, in my lay person's opinion.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Anyway, back to serious discussion:

I saw today that vaccine makers will only be required to pass minimal trials for any "fine tuning" version of their vaccines, before they're approved.

No different than the annual tuning for the flu shot.

As is correct, in my lay person's opinion.
Yes we'll need updated vaccines shortly, the process to produce newer versions is fairly simple.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Hey dipshit, didn't you read my first post? My mom died on January 15th from cancer. There is no ignoring grief. The fact is that every human being will die and the living will grieve their death. The fact is that the 500,000 number dying from Covid is inflated. The fact is that 99% of the population is surviving this pandemic. These are all facts, which your faux "science" brain cannot seem to compute. Apparently you're a dumbass so you can't comprehend.

1) You present no corroborating evidence that the 500,000 number is inflated.

2) Thanks for explaining to me that "There is no ignoring grief", while you simultaneously attempt to minimize the deaths of a half million people.

Your argument that, "Hey, 99% of us still survive!" is really a head-shaker.

Wally

Reaction score
That's a blip when you look at numbers instead of percentage. But, that's why statisticians will use percentages. They can make a tiny blip seem like an astronomically high death toll.
I am not saying that Covid did not kill people. Of course it did. I am saying that the numbers, held up against the total population, are not devastating to our society.

I know, 9/11 was a total overblown joke, I agree.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
500k dead will always be a catastrophe, no matter how small a percentage of the total population that is.

Las Vegas shooting: "that's only 0.00000185 of the population dead, so it really wasn't a big deal, relax"

Re: the bolded — BINGO! This should be too obvious to require reiteration.

Yet it apparently must be explained to some folks.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
1) You present no corroborating evidence that the 500,000 number is inflated.

2) Thanks for explaining to me that "There is no ignoring grief", while you simultaneously attempt to minimize the deaths of a half million people.

Your argument that, "Hey, 99% of us still survive!" is really a head-shaker.
Solid box of MennoSota right here.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
The numbers are big enough its dropped life expectancy significantly... 500,000 is not a blip.... The death tole is in fact astronomically high compared to almost any other world event.

jamiche

Reaction score
Just a little helpful hint, tiny. Beginning a sentence with "The fact is..." doesn't really prove the point.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Just a little helpful hint, tiny. Beginning a sentence with "The fact is..." doesn't really prove the point.
It's also not a fact even though he said "the fact is".... also LOL I forgot he was tiny.

howeda7

Reaction score
Yep, Osterholm was who I was referencing when KGF embarrassed himself by saying I was ridiculous we'd hit 500,000.... Where you at killer?
He's focused on more important issues like auditing the ice cream in Nancy Pelosi's freezer, but I'm sure he'll get back to you shortly.

howeda7

Reaction score
You want this to be true. And yet, almost all 500k of these people would be alive today if there was no pandemic.
There have surely been some deaths attributed to COVID incorrectly. There have also surely been some COVID deaths not counted and attributed to cardiac arrest etc. The idea that the inaccuracy only goes in one direction is silly.

howeda7

Reaction score
I saw one mom on the news and she wants something done with her son, 13 I believe, but she doesn't know what to do. Whats the answer? I don't know, military boarding school?
The schools do need to be open. We've clearly passed the risk/reward threshhold of keeping them closed. It's doing more harm than good. Prioritize vaccinating the teachers.

howeda7

Reaction score
500K deaths = "a blip". Feel the Christian Love.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Covid is what finally got me to ignore a bunch of posters. Kind of appalling how anti-expert some people are. You're right; Osterholm has pretty much nailed it with his predictions and people still dismiss him. Will we heed his latest warning that the worst may be yet to come?

They are a pervasive species -

1614106683313.png

jamiche

Reaction score
I don't know. This is a little too harsh for me. In a country where we can't come close to agreeing on things like common sense gun control measures or even what bathroom we should all be using, we were never going to come close to agreeing on how to handle a pandemic. Furthermore, we were never going to come close to having 100% participation or adherence to these measures no matter who was in charge.

A reasonable person could say we should have locked down things for as long as necessary to get this under control. We should have had a universal mask mandate from the start and much more restricted movement. Human life should have trumped (sorry) everything else. He/she would have been right.

Another reasonable person could say we should have put all our efforts into protecting the vulnerable. Once more information was available about who was at risk, we should have created a bubble around these people and put much more responsibility on families to protect their parents, etc. We have created far more damage to individuals (job loss, suicide, chemical dependency issues, etc.) to individuals that would have never been at any high risk from this pandemic. He/she would also have been right.

But honestly, all hope for any sort of universal response was lost once the protests/rioting started. The messaging then became it was ok to gather in groups for this cause (safe) but it wasn't ok to have two sinks open next to each other on Lake Superior (unsafe). Then all the measures BB's post refers to mattered only as much as the cause mattered. Church and school (insert activity here) are far more important to many than the protests but those were not allowed. Any chance of an ongoing unified response was lost.

There will be many years of Monday morning quarterbacking on this past year. Far too much blame will be levied at certain politicians on both sides. But at the end of the day, this was about how much do you want to kick the can down the street and how much damage do you want to ignore as you were doing so? No perfect answers and in some ways a perfect storm for a country far too divided.
There actually is consensus on "common sense gun control" just as there is consensus on the necessary safety measures on controlling the spread of Covid. I haven't seen data on bathrooms, but I'd bet the majority of Americans don't really care who uses what bathrooms. The problem is the same minority group that is easily manipulated on everything from guns to Covid to bathrooms to statues, and the country suffers for it. A strong majority of Americans want stricture gun controls that includes no private at gun shows w/out background checks, stricter controls on assault weapons, no sales to mentally ill people, etc. The majority of Americans are in favor of mask ordinances and social distancing.
The problem is when you have the same 30%-40% who oppose safety, it puts everybody at risk.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Yes, and we liberals need to turn off our empathy. We really do need to quit obsessing about all the families who have lost loved ones. (sarcasm). Oh, and 500,000 dead is "a small number"? Wow.

You guys really are unbelievable.

500K is a small number when you don't really care about your fellow man.

Top Bottom