500,000 and still counting

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
They were doing it before the pandemic, and will do it after it has settled down and restrictions are removed.

This mostly has to do with the prevalence of poverty and drug gangs where they grow up.
Check the change in rates. It's profound.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Was with you until here. This is a big reach, and pretty much wrong at a national level.

You like to pretend sometimes that what's happening in California is the same thing as the US.

Have you seen the CDC guidelines, and Biden backtracking/softening on his school policy? You can continue to play deaf and dumb but it gets old.

Wally

Reaction score
Wonder why we have roving bands of 12 year olds car jacking?

I saw one mom on the news and she wants something done with her son, 13 I believe, but she doesn't know what to do. Whats the answer? I don't know, military boarding school?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Check the change in rates. It's profound.
I believe you. Hell, we know about it personally here in S Mpls.

Was it just boredom ... or was it opportunity? PDs "letting things happen" because they wanted to make the public scared and thus not vote to defund them? I'm pulling that out of my ass, but I would believe it if evidence came out.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
I believe you. Hell, we know about it personally here in S Mpls.

Was it just boredom ... or was it opportunity? PDs "letting things happen" because they wanted to make the public scared and thus not vote to defund them? I'm pulling that out of my ass, but I would believe it if evidence came out.
Apathy not the case in my city among the police. These youngsters have nothing to do, and without school, no real hope. It is something to balance with "Grandma is gonna die!"

MennoSota

Reaction score
You want this to be true. And yet, almost all 500k of these people would be alive today if there was no pandemic.
You want this to be true, yet the majority are nursing home deaths of elderly person's.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
I got sick of arguing with stupid people who'd rather not wear a mask (cuz 'murica) than save lives. I am truly embarrassed so many stupid people exist in this world.

Some figure this out sooner, some later. It couldn’t be too much of a surprise unless you’ve been living at university or sheltered from the public in some way for a number of years (academic?).

The argument revolves around draconian lockdown to force participation, or freedom. Most Americans will choose the latter despite the messy outcomes - see guns, etc. Fair to disagree. We’ve had people on here wishing we emulated China...or Russia. It’s been a crazy year, and people have gone a little nuts.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
yet the majority are nursing home deaths of elderly person's.
... who would still be alive today if there was no pandemic.

"If you had less than five years left anyway, your life was meaningless so we aren't going to count you" ain't gonna cut it.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I posted a discussion link in the main thread.
Which does not support the very broad, general statement you made here.

As I said, your typical MO is to cite something that makes an argument about specific X, and then claim that it supports the arguments for X^10 + W,Y,Z. I guess you're hoping people won't read the links.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Which does not support the very broad, general statement you made here.

As I said, your typical MO is to cite something that makes an argument about specific X, and then claim that it supports the arguments for X^10 + W,Y,Z. I guess you're hoping people won't read the links.

Can you give me an example of this? This seems like a vast overgeneralization.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Can you give me an example of this?
"KC schools will delay full reopening and implement hybrid plan because of CDC guidelines.
=
widespread, endemic failure because of confounding policies and guidelines and enabling of this by the new administration."

:rolleyes:

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
I remember when KGF mocked me for saying we'd hit 500,000 deaths in this country. Well here we are and still counting and not even close to done. We have new variants, a slow vaccine roll out and the risk of turning this into a constant battle for the rest of humanity. All because a large portion of you are/were too selfish to take simple precautionary measures to control this outbreak. I know none of you are embarrassed or ashamed for being so stupid hopefully some of you have realized how stupid you sounded back in March-April-May and changed your ways. I doubt it though, can't help stupidity.
Covid is what finally got me to ignore a bunch of posters. Kind of appalling how anti-expert some people are. You're right; Osterholm has pretty much nailed it with his predictions and people still dismiss him. Will we heed his latest warning that the worst may be yet to come?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Kind of appalling how anti-expert some people are.
👆👆👆👆👆

Trump's rise coincided with the rise of anti-expertism. If anyone, no matter how qualified, says something you don't like .... take them down.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
The data also proves you wrong, as we let the states experiment with different degrees of lockdowns and regulations. States with the most stringent lockdowns didn’t fare any better on average than those with the least.
I agree with GiI. I think the data does show that on average. MN is generally considered to have strict restrictions by people on this board with our neighbors desirably less restrictive. But on average:

Cases/MM -- rank, state
1. ND
2. SD
5. IA
16. WI
31. MN

Deaths/MM -- rank, state
8. SD
11. ND
17. IA
34. MN
36. WI

But even in a more restrictive state like MN, adherence varies greatly. My employer, for example, actually discouraged us from wearing masks in the common areas around the office because he found it "depressing". I still wear my mask when not at my desk but am certainly in the minority. Lots of maskless meetings with clients, etc. So yeah, not a lot of actual adherence, empathy, or sacrifice going on.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
I agree with GiI. I think the data does show that on average. MN is generally considered to have strict restrictions by people on this board with our neighbors desirably less restrictive. But on average:

Cases/MM -- rank, state
1. ND
2. SD
5. IA
16. WI
31. MN

Deaths/MM -- rank, state
8. SD
11. ND
17. IA
34. MN
36. WI

But even in a more restrictive state like MN, adherence varies greatly. My employer, for example, actually discouraged us from wearing masks in the common areas around the office because he found it "depressing". I still wear my mask when not at my desk but am certainly in the minority. Lots of maskless meetings with clients, etc. So yeah, not a lot of actual adherence, empathy, or sacrifice going on.

So his/her 'feelings' are more important than putting his/her employees at risk in a global pandemic which has caused, to date, at least 500,000 deaths in the U.S.?

That's brilliant.

Man, if I was you I'd be actively looking for a different job.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Covid is what finally got me to ignore a bunch of posters. Kind of appalling how anti-expert some people are. You're right; Osterholm has pretty much nailed it with his predictions and people still dismiss him. Will we heed his latest warning that the worst may be yet to come?

Yes. Anti-expert, anti-science. Anti-"elitism".

Mix generously with the old, "You can't tell me what to do" mindset.

MplsGopher

Reaction score

Cases/MM -- rank, state
1. ND
2. SD
5. IA
16. WI
31. MN

Deaths/MM -- rank, state
8. SD
11. ND
17. IA
34. MN
36. WI

And none of those states have more than half their population concentrated into a single urban population center, like MN does.

MennoSota

Reaction score
... who would still be alive today if there was no pandemic.

"If you had less than five years left anyway, your life was meaningless so we aren't going to count you" ain't gonna cut it.
The point is, even with inflated numbers, the number of deaths is not a significant blow to our population.

MplsGopher

Reaction score

Anti-intellectual elite.

They were successful in shifting the ire of the working/middle class away from the wealthy "elite" and onto the intellectual "elite.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Some figure this out sooner, some later. It couldn’t be too much of a surprise unless you’ve been living at university or sheltered from the public in some way for a number of years (academic?).

The argument revolves around draconian lockdown to force participation, or freedom. Most Americans will choose the latter despite the messy outcomes - see guns, etc. Fair to disagree. We’ve had people on here wishing we emulated China...or Russia. It’s been a crazy year, and people have gone a little nuts.
I guess I'd choose australia or new zealand to emulate.

MennoSota

Reaction score
What the hell does that have to do with??

What's a significant blow? If we had lost half of our population?
We have a small number...and the number is inflated. Look at the glass as 99% full for a change.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score

Yep, it beat me down too. I tried to tell people here every day and tried to help make things better but just got mocked. Turned out I was right all along.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
We have a small number...and the number is inflated. Look at the glass as 99% full for a change.

Yes, and we liberals need to turn off our empathy. We really do need to quit obsessing about all the families who have lost loved ones. (sarcasm). Oh, and 500,000 dead is "a small number"? Wow.

You guys really are unbelievable.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score

It's just childish and selfish. People need to grow up. Sadly it was a bunch of old fuddy duddies that fit the bill of anti maskers. They acted no different than the immature people partying at spring break last year.

Top Bottom