4th Scholarship Payton Rumors

It seems strange to read he was on pace to graduate this year, yet gets tossed for academics in a year where there is speculation about the use of his scholarship. Everything I've read in the past was positive in regard to student portion of student-athlete.

Reminds me of Charles Thomas (Clem era) transferring after his soph season. Not much explanation given.

I wish Kevin well, and will always appreciate him coming to the U and keeping his nose clean. I had high hopes for him.... Then again, I had high hopes for Monson.:eek:

had other issues besides grades.

I know a someone who was a sportswriter for a local paper back in the 90's when newspapers made money and sent their staff out to cover Minnesota sports instead of relying primarily on AP articles. We were talking one day right after the Courtney James phone book incident, and he told me that Charles Thomas had some issues.

Did he do anything after he left?

I know a someone who was a sportswriter for a local paper back in the 90's when newspapers made money and sent their staff out to cover Minnesota sports instead of relying primarily on AP articles. We were talking one day right after the Courtney James phone book incident, and he told me that Charles Thomas had some issues.

Did he do anything after he left?

Played at either Western or Eastern Kentucky. He battled back problems his entire career. I think he gave it up before his years were up because of the injuries.

Damaged Goods

Thomas was the guy Haskins called "damaged goods" because of his back problems. Not exactly campassionate about a key cog in a final four run. He did go to Eastern Ky if think, and was aggressive about NOT talking to anyone about Gangelgate.

I'm in Carlson and some classes are easy, but it's the new curve system were the class average has to be a B for 3000 level courses and B+ for higher. I like the post earlier that if you're a smart kid you'll be fine, haha, well duh, if you're smart you have nothing to worry about. I think in terms of maintaining a high GPA, it's a lot tougher now in Carlson since you have to strictly do better than like 80% of your peers instead of just doing what it takes to get >90%.

I'm in Carlson and some classes are easy, but it's the new curve system were the class average has to be a B for 3000 level courses and B+ for higher. I like the post earlier that if you're a smart kid you'll be fine, haha, well duh, if you're smart you have nothing to worry about. I think in terms of maintaining a high GPA, it's a lot tougher now in Carlson since you have to strictly do better than like 80% of your peers instead of just doing what it takes to get >90%.

haha, well I suppose I should elaborate. I've got friends in the engineering program that are quite smart, but they need to put in much much more work on top of it to succeed. Lets just say that people dont transfer out of CSOM because they just couldn't cut it, like in IT.

I'm in Carlson right now. New grading curve makes it much harder, although it did have the rep of being hard to get into and easy once you were, it has changed. For Blake's classes now, the median GPA of the class must be a 3.0. Therefore, if he did average in the class, he would receive a B.

EDIT: see someone already posted it.

It seems strange to read he was on pace to graduate this year, yet gets tossed for academics in a year where there is speculation about the use of his scholarship. Everything I've read in the past was positive in regard to student portion of student-athlete.

Reminds me of Charles Thomas (Clem era) transferring after his soph season. Not much explanation given.

I wish Kevin well, and will always appreciate him coming to the U and keeping his nose clean. I had high hopes for him.... Then again, I had high hopes for Monson.:eek:

If you read the press release it says that he is suspended for an indefinite time period. If it was purely for grades I have to believe that it would have said that he was suspended for the semester like Iowa's press release said for Tucker. Maybe I'm reading too much in to specific wording but I know enough about press releases to know that they are worded very carefully.

haha, well I suppose I should elaborate. I've got friends in the engineering program that are quite smart, but they need to put in much much more work on top of it to succeed. Lets just say that people dont transfer out of CSOM because they just couldn't cut it, like in IT.

I'm a Carlson alum and I will tell you the amount of time that I spent on classwork to graduate in four years is far less than my friends that graduated from IT in five years. Leaving school my GPA was higher than all of my friends.

The style of teaching between the two schools is much different. IT tries to weed students out and the curriculum is more technical by it's nature. It wouldn't make sense to try to do the same thing in a business school because the nature of what you're learning isn't as technical. A business schools weeds students out during the admissions process.

Top Bottom