Ohio State: 12
Michigan State: 9

And here are our numbers the last few years:

2011: 17
2010: 15
2009: 22
2008: 30
2007: 24

What the heck is going on at Mich. State?

What the heck is going on at Mich. State?

I have no idea. Dantonio hasn't had a good year since he's been there in terms of this list. But you watch some of his guys go out there and make really dumb decisions (William Gholston comes to mind with more than a few cheap shots over the years) and it doesn't surprise that there may be somewhat of a discipline issue in East Lansing.

Here are their All BT selections for football by year (Dantonio was hired in November 2006):

2011: 13
2010: 13
2009: 11
2008: 11
2007: 8

Bravo!

Things are on the right track. We have the right staff in place. We have the right AD in place. Continuity, standards, emphasizing the "how" as much as the "what".

I believe the trajectory or trend line is up on all fronts - not on a straight line, but on a curve.

It is frustrating climbing out, and especially when there are episodic slips backward - but consider the abyss we fell in with the previous regime.

Go Gophers!

:clap:

Great accomplishment. I really think Kill is on the right path to building this program back. Smart football players can help squeeze the gap in talent. The talent will come with wins. However, I think many of these kids have a lot of talent as well.

I don't know if it translates to anything directly on the field, but it sure makes it easier when guys choose to transfer or simply leave the squad. If your academics are bad, it (I believe, don't know for sure) puts an additional dent in the APR when low-performing academic kids leave. If the academics for the transferring kid are solid, things are fine.

This gives the program a lot more flexibility in the re-building process.

Here's the breakdown by school (for football):

Northwestern: 34
Minnesota: 31
Nebraska: 28
Penn State: 28
Wisconsin: 25
Indiana: 22
Illinois: 18
Michigan: 16
Purdue: 16
Iowa: 15

I guess they don't do academic honors like they do on-the-field honors, or this would give them a team of 254 players, if I'm doing my math correctly.

Here's the breakdown by school (for football):

Northwestern: 34
Minnesota: 31
Nebraska: 28
Penn State: 28
Wisconsin: 25
Indiana: 22
Illinois: 18
Michigan: 16
Purdue: 16
Iowa: 15

And here are our numbers the last few years:

2011: 17
2010: 15
2009: 22
2008: 30
2007: 24

This is really interesting that we had so few the last two years.

I guess they don't do academic honors like they do on-the-field honors, or this would give them a team of 254 players, if I'm doing my math correctly.

You are correct. Anyone getting a 3.7 GPA or higher for the current year is honored.

[/B]

This is really interesting that we had so few the last two years.

Could be wrong, but one hypothesis is that the team had really gone to crap once Brew got canned mid-2010 in terms of a lack of accountability (not saying Horton didn't want to hold players accountable, but in the mess of that whole thing a lot of players probably sloughed off). Then you have the coaching change, setting expectations in 2011 and now here we are.

Could be wrong, but one hypothesis is that the team had really gone to crap once Brew got canned mid-2010 in terms of a lack of accountability (not saying Horton didn't want to hold players accountable, but in the mess of that whole thing a lot of players probably sloughed off). Then you have the coaching change, setting expectations in 2011 and now here we are.

True. But didn't Horton suspend Michael Carter and Hageman that year so they could focus on there academics if I remember correctly? So, I think he tried to do the best he could with the little time he had.

I guess that brings up the big set of questions:

1. Would you rather win with good athletes who are losers as students; or
2. would you rather lose with borderline athletes who are winners as students.

I know, I know, we would all rather win with good athletes who are winners as students, but that is not one of the choices.

I know, I know, we would all rather win with good athletes who are winners as students, but that is not one of the choices.
I guess 2 years ago we had loser students and athletes!

Northwestern seems to win with good students and good but maybe not great athletes. I think it goes to show having smart athletes helps.

This is a reflection of pride and character - both of which we will lead to better things culturally with this team. Congrats to all who earned the honor! I would think JK and staff should be as proud of this as there are with any of the wins they have had.

This is a reflection of pride and character - both of which we will lead to better things culturally with this team. Congrats to all who earned the honor! I would think JK and staff should be as proud of this as there are with any of the wins they have had.

bingo!

#2 without hesitation. College football is part of college. The purpose of college is education. The competition should be among student athletes. It shouldn't be among those merely showcasing skills for the NFL.

Proud days to be a Gopher and nice going to all involved that could help make this happen.

Top Bottom