30 second shot clock analysis

Stan

Reaction score
Did anyone at any point ever think, I really think the game has improved with the 30 second shot clock this year. Not sure if its because we didn't have the horses to get up and down all season long, but the change in the shot clock wasn't noticeable to me. I'll be curious to see what the statistical analysis supports, whether teams had more possessions, or whether more points per game were scored.

I never thought the problem was a "pace"...it was the fact that kids couldn't hit shots. How many NCAA Tournament games were ruined last year by teams shooting 35% from the field in the game? That's not a pace thing, that's a talent thing.

With that said, my guess is that the product statistically looks better this year because of upperclass-driven teams, and the rule changes restricting contact. Less hand-checking and contact = easier offensive flow and more veteran teams leads to less terrible/stupid basketball.

That's all complete guessing/speculating on my part...in no way do I have stats to back that up. That's what my eyes tell me.

A shorter shot clock should give more of an advantage to teams with better recruits who are well coached. There seemed to be more parity this year, but I don't think that proves anything. If you get a final four of UNC, MSU, UVA and Duke (don't even know if that is possible-too lazy) that would be some indication.

I haven't seen the latest stats, but I think scoring was up something like 8% as a result of the change mid-way through the season. All the people who advocated for this change trumpeted that as though it proved their point. But as you guys allude to, more missed shots doesn't really improve the game. And (35-30)/35 = 14.3% reduction in the shot clock and so it should have increased scoring a similar rate. The fact that it didn't indicates that it increased missed shots more than it increased made ones.

Did anyone at any point ever think, I really think the game has improved with the 30 second shot clock this year. Not sure if its because we didn't have the horses to get up and down all season long, but the change in the shot clock wasn't noticeable to me. I'll be curious to see what the statistical analysis supports, whether teams had more possessions, or whether more points per game were scored.
A lot more pick and roll being played this season, in my opinion.

The difference to me is that the game goes a couple possesions each way longer until the leading team holds to use the full clock each of its remaining trips.

What I noticed on a few occasions were possessions where I didn't think the offensive team was dawdling, but all of a sudden the clock is running out. I think it't a bit quick for the college game. I wouldn't want it shortened any more.

Top Bottom