3 Washington HS's forfeit football games against same team because of size difference

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per NBC affiliate:

A third high school football team is now refusing to play Everett's Archbishop Murphy amidst concerns about player safety.

Archbishop Murphy is a private Catholic school in Everett that's been so dominant this season that South Whidbey, Sultan, and now Granite Falls High School have all opted to forfeit instead of taking the field against the Wildcats.

"The biggest concern is the recruiting aspect that private schools are able to do. They can pull from a 50-mile radius from their campus and send buses to pick the kids up," said Granite Falls Head Coach Tim Dennis. "Just the level of athletes they've been able to bring in on one team, it doesn't match up with a lot of the teams in our league."

It's an issue that's been widely discussed among athletic directors and coaches in the Cascade Conference that Archbishop Murphy is part of. In the three games Archbishop Murphy has played this season, they've outscored their opponents 170-0.

"It's not that we're afraid to play the game, it's an injury issue," said Dennis. "Because of the size disparity between the linemen. They have 300-pound linemen. And we have sophomores that are weight 210, 220 pounds and starting on varsity. So that's the issue, is the size disparity."

http://www.king5.com/sports/high-sc...-to-forfeit-to-archbishop-murphy-hs/329119581

Go Gophers!!

The reason why MN has so many classes of football. It's a numbers and size sport.

That recruiting advantage for private high schools led the OH legislature years ago to make a law limiting not attending the school but participating in sports to residents.
That regulation has been tested in court and upheld.
Schools of course have tried to cheat by families with children in the private schools being declared 'guardians' of athletes from far and wide.

I think in MN, the privates is more an issue in other sports, like hockey.

I think in MN, the privates is more an issue in other sports, like hockey.

Not really an issue in hockey either. People bring it up a lot, but the private schools aren't running away with the titles. With open enrollment, all the schools have the same advantages in MN. You look at Hopkins in basketball and Lakeville North in hockey, they both bring in a ton of transfers to challenge any private school. Which is why they win so much...

Not really an issue in hockey either. People bring it up a lot, but the private schools aren't running away with the titles. With open enrollment, all the schools have the same advantages in MN. You look at Hopkins in basketball and Lakeville North in hockey, they both bring in a ton of transfers to challenge any private school. Which is why they win so much...

Maybe not as much of an issue the past few years, but it has been a big issue in the past. Maybe the Minnesota transfer rules helped with that?

Totino Grace certainly wouldn't be a football powerhouse without all the advantages of recruiting. My cousins all played there and they freely admit many of their top players were recruited.

Maybe not as much of an issue the past few years, but it has been a big issue in the past. Maybe the Minnesota transfer rules helped with that?

Totino Grace certainly wouldn't be a football powerhouse without all the advantages of recruiting. My cousins all played there and they freely admit many of their top players were recruited.

However, TG plays up 1-2 classes in Football and is at the top level.

I agree that it's just not a huge issue in MN anymore. Public school kids can open enroll and those that choose to transfer, open spots for other kids. It might affect winning and losing for some schools, but not participation.

Co-ops create more issues around participation and hurt feelings.

However, TG plays up 1-2 classes in Football and is at the top level.

I agree that it's just not a huge issue in MN anymore. Public school kids can open enroll and those that choose to transfer, open spots for other kids. It might affect winning and losing for some schools, but not participation.

Co-ops create more issues around participation and hurt feelings.

Now that they are playing up, I agree. But there were many years that they didn't. They do recruit in other sports too, but since they haven't been dominant people haven't noticed as much.

Recruiting is a weird way of putting it. They are able to draw a lot of kids.

The other thing is that these private schools don't have districts. Like where should Totino pull kids from?

Recruiting is a weird way of putting it. They are able to draw a lot of kids.

The other thing is that these private schools don't have districts. Like where should Totino pull kids from?

Offering reduced or free tuition to a kid based on athletic ability is recruiting, not drawing. Drawing is what Hopkins does, because they can't offer anything that isn't already free.

Offering reduced or free tuition to a kid based on athletic ability is recruiting, not drawing. Drawing is what Hopkins does, because they can't offer anything that isn't already free.

well yea but that's a violation of mshsl rules so if you know about this happening you should probably report it

Top Bottom