247's Travis Haney: Source says as of Sunday, MN has not reached out to Fleck, but

BleedGopher

Reaction score
another sources says there is mutual interest:

Minnesota intends to decide this week whether to retain embattled coach Tracy Claeys, and industry sources have told 247Sports that they can see the school going in either direction.

Should Minnesota opt to make a change, multiple sources are keeping an eye on Western Michigan’s P.J. Fleck as a lead candidate. Fleck’s undefeated Broncos play Wisconsin later Monday in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl.

Fleck agreed in principle to an extension to remain at WMU, but a source said that the contract has not been finalized.

And a source told us that, as of Sunday evening, Minnesota AD Mark Coyle had not reached out to Fleck. But another source indicated that there is mutual interest.

The 36-year-old Fleck has been associated with a few job openings in the past two months, including the Oregon and Purdue vacancies. Those close to him say that he would not leave WMU for anything other than a Power 5 job. Fleck, 30-21 in his fourth season at WMU, told people close to him this fall that he believes Minnesota is a better Big Ten job than Purdue.

http://247sports.com/Article/Minnes...-on-Tracy-Claeys-and-were-hearing-mu-50206955

Go Gophers!!

The larger the blowout is the more I am convinced we will make a move for him and it will be a massive bust.

I still think TC is the coach next year

Fleck is that guy who shows up in every rumor, but never is that guy.

This is my first time watching Western Michigan, but holy crap, I am not impressed with Fleck. Its not just that he's getting throttled by a superior team, its that he's over animated and emotional on the sidelines. A coach should convey to the players with his attitude that at any moment, they can take over the game. Fleck to me right now, is conveying that he is in over his head.

This is my first time watching Western Michigan, but holy crap, I am not impressed with Fleck. Its not just that he's getting throttled by a superior team, its that he's over animated and emotional on the sidelines. A coach should convey to the players with his attitude that at any moment, they can take over the game. Fleck to me right now, is conveying that he is in over his head.

And, If he is the recruiter that people say he is, he is getting a taste of just how good his recruiting would NEED to be.

And, If he is the recruiter that people say he is, he is getting a taste of just how good his recruiting would NEED to be.

To disparage a MAC coach for not having the same horses as Wisconsin might be setting unrealistic expectations.

Let's not forget the team that got Jerry Kill the job at Minnesota beat the team that got Tim Brewster fired by 11 while getting out gained.

Not saying I am impressed with WMU but there is a reason Wisconsin was an 8 point favorite.

I was waiting for the first poster to judge his MAC team playing against a near playoff team.

But you're right, good coaches are never animated and emotional on the sideline.

To disparage a MAC coach for not having the same horses as Wisconsin might be setting unrealistic expectations.

Let's not forget the team that got Jerry Kill the job at Minnesota beat the team that got Tim Brewster fired by 11 while getting out gained.

Not saying I am impressed with WMU but there is a reason Wisconsin was an 8 point favorite.

Not meaning to disparage, but he will be seeing that it will take one hell of a recruiter to contend with the depth of a Wisconsin. That said, his team just made it 7-14.

The larger the blowout is the more I am convinced we will make a move for him and it will be a massive bust.

I still think TC is the coach next year

Now I am less convinced we will get him

I was waiting for the first poster to judge his MAC team playing against a near playoff team.

But you're right, good coaches are never animated and emotional on the sideline.

I dont think you really read my post at all. I acknowledged he is playing a superior team, and said it wasnt about that.

Also, I never said good coaches are never animated.

Funny that as soon as a guy is even mentioned in rumors for the Gophers, some fans will defend that guy as if he's already one of us. If he doesnt get hired here though, we probably never wanted him anyway.

I dont think you really read my post at all. I acknowledged he is playing a superior team, and said it wasnt about that.

Also, I never said good coaches are never animated.

Funny that as soon as a guy is even mentioned in rumors for the Gophers, some fans will defend that guy as if he's already one of us. If he doesnt get hired here though, we probably never wanted him anyway.

Just don't like stupid hot takes. I don't really care if it's Fleck or Claeys coaching next year.

Christ.

Fleck looks like he's in too deep. Sorry that take offended you.

Christ.

Fleck looks like he's in too deep. Sorry that take offended you.

Stating that he's too emotional is a textbook hot take. No substance whatsoever. Sorry you can't come up with anything else.

It's no better than people wanting Claeys replaced because he is overweight and not very camera friendly.

Stating that he's too emotional is a textbook hot take. No substance whatsoever. Sorry you can't come up with anything else.
I stated that he doesnt convey confidence in his team. The announcers seemed shocked at his emotion as well, stating that they've never seen this kind of emotion from him, but thats probably because things have never really gone bad for his team this season...so at the first sign of on field adversity, he starts acting like a buffoon? The whole first quarter was the PJ Fleck show. Ill give him some credit for calming down, on their TD drive, he actually showed some poise. Not freaking out on 4th down, and not freaking out when his player seemingly fumbled, which got overturned. If he acted the whole game, like he did in the first quarter, the team would stand no chance. It will be telling to see how his team responds in the 2nd half. Only down 10, they have a shot at this. Is the team going to roll over, or are they going to make it a good game?

I stated that he doesnt convey confidence in his team. The announcers seemed shocked at his emotion as well, stating that they've never seen this kind of emotion from him, but thats probably because things have never really gone bad for his team this season...so at the first sign of on field adversity, he starts acting like a buffoon? The whole first quarter was the PJ Fleck show. Ill give him some credit for calming down, on their TD drive, he actually showed some poise. Not freaking out on 4th down, and not freaking out when his player seemingly fumbled, which got overturned. If he acted the whole game, like he did in the first quarter, the team would stand no chance. It will be telling to see how his team responds in the 2nd half. Only down 10, they have a shot at this. Is the team going to roll over, or are they going to make it a good game?
The announcers probably haven't watched a WMU game live this year

The announcers probably haven't watched a WMU game live this year

To be fair, I didn't even know there was a WMU until today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am most likely missing your sarcasm but Bill Cowher and Jim Harbaugh come to mind immediately.

IALTO. Best of the day!

Top Bottom