21 offensive rebounds boys......

Reaction score
MSU way more physical and man for man....quicker. Bostick and Carter so far "busts" from the JC level. I haven't been impressed with Bostick from day one. His shot from the "3" is way to slow and defense/intensity level lacking. I'll cut Carter some slack because of his ankle injury, but he seems to lack court awareness. Bad game for Damien. Took some questionable shots and didn't play with the intensity we've seen in the past. Until Sampson and Iverson get stronger we're going to have to live and die by Nolan's penetration/kickout for the "three". I hope Tubby sits Williams down and says: "blockout/rebound and NO SHOT 5 ft out. If the boys shoot well I think they'll bounce back against the Bucko's. MSU a top 10 team. You noticed Tubby didn't seem to upset on the bench. He knows he got taken to the cleaners by a better team. Wow, we were surprised how easy it was to find a place to watch the game in Old Scotsdale. Lot of Gopher fans here for the football game watching the game in the bar.

We got crushed on the boards, you simply can't win when that happens. Second chance points killed us in the first half.
Michigan state is a good team that played well today, the important thing is we don't hang our heads and try to come back strong against Ohio st.

Good observations Ruppert

We got smoked on the boards. It was men against boys in the lane.

What I found out is that, though the Gophers have significantly increased their depth this season, the quality of their depth is nowhere near Michigan State's. Summers, Allen, Lucious, Gray, Green, Roe (though he didn't play much). ... that's a lot of nice parts to work with. Holy smokes, North Carolina must be incredible to beat that team -- albeit minus Suton -- by 35 points.

We got smoked on the boards. It was men against boys in the lane.

Holy smokes, North Carolina must be incredible to beat that team -- albeit minus Suton -- by 35 points.

Those two thoughts are exactly what I was thinking... Big Ten is looking like the most competitive conference in the BCS this season.

MSU way more physical and man for man....quicker. Bostick and Carter so far "busts" from the JC level. I haven't been impressed with Bostick from day one. His shot from the "3" is way to slow and defense/intensity level lacking. I'll cut Carter some slack because of his ankle injury, but he seems to lack court awareness. Bad game for Damien. Took some questionable shots and didn't play with the intensity we've seen in the past. Until Sampson and Iverson get stronger we're going to have to live and die by Nolan's penetration/kickout for the "three". I hope Tubby sits Williams down and says: "blockout/rebound and NO SHOT 5 ft out. If the boys shoot well I think they'll bounce back against the Bucko's. MSU a top 10 team. You noticed Tubby didn't seem to upset on the bench. He knows he got taken to the cleaners by a better team. Wow, we were surprised how easy it was to find a place to watch the game in Old Scotsdale. Lot of Gopher fans here for the football game watching the game in the bar.

Ruppert-
Easy boy. Carter played 8 minutes and Bostic 5. Tubby is going with veterans early. These guys will get their chance. A lot of guys had rough games out there today but there will be many good ones to come.

Few conferences have teams like Mich St. I know SEC has no one close to their level.

OK. Great. MSU is a great team.

Very poor showing by the Gophers, no offense at all at rebounding was poor at best, transition D was nearly non existant at times.

We lost to a better team today (and a very good one), but the frustrating thing to me was we did a very poor job containing our opponent's strengths. When you play the Spartans you know that you need to rebound and you know that you need to have great transition D. Under Izzo, msu has always been great in both facets and today we weren't just beaten in both, we were killed. To compete the way we all hope the team will, they'll have to do a better job of countering team's strengths.

I don't think MSU was THAT good...

Lucas is definitely a stud, but other than that I think they are just a well coached team that gets the most out of what they have thanks to solid effort and hustle. Gophers could have easily won had they played the way they did against Lousville.

"Gophers could have easily won had they played the way they did against Lousville."

It's really that simple? You really think "solid effort and hustle" was all MSU displayed today? Perhaps Sparty's talent had something to do with the way the Gophers played?

Gophers also could have "easily won" if MSU had played as poorly as it did vs. North Carolina. Point is, how the Gophers played vs. Louisville and how Sparty played vs. UNC is a moot point today.

I'm not ready to say Sparty is going to the Final Four (I still have too vivid of a picture in my mind of the UNC game), but from what I saw it looks like they've recovered nicely and have the goods to go a long way in the tournament, certainly as far as last year's Sweet 16. Wouldn't have said this 3 weeks ago, but it looks to me like MSU will be better this year than last, even without Neitzel.

From my viewpoint on TV (I'll be there for OSU) I thought the Gophers were a bit outclassed by MSU. However, at times for a few stretches it looked like some of the most entertaining Basketball in the Barn in a long time. If Hoff and others would have hit a few more 3's and if we got what should be our share of "defensive" rebounds it could have been a lot closer at the end. All in all, it looked like a very entertaining game. GO Gophers beat tosu.

Our older players are not as talented as State's
Our younger players are not as experienced.

Rebounding will once again be our achilles heel.

Chem E,

which number of stupid dancing gorillas were you? that was pathetic

I was disappointed with what I saw today. The most disappointing aspect of the game was the offensive rebounds which often led to easy putbacks for MSU. The worst was when we allowed a wide open 3 and somehow also allowed MSU to rebound the missed wide open 3 and score anyways. There were also some back breaking easy baskets for MSU in the 2nd half after Minnesota made field goals (which was a rarity). It was so tough to see a ball actually go in the basket for Minnesota then see MSU beat us down the court and score a bucket to answer.

On offense, we couldn't find any open shots. For the first 10 minutes or so, it seemed like every Gopher shot was a force up that was contested heavily. I didn't feel like we were getting any good shots, which is a credit to the MSU defense and a cause for concern about the offensive ability of our players.

It was just one game, but to be non-competitive in a home opener is pretty discouraging. This team should get better and it is way too early to speculate about JUCO players being busts. It usually takes a JUCO player a long time, sometimes even a full year, before the light comes on for them in major college basketball. The tOSU game is now very important to the Gophers as they simply can't start the Big Ten 0-2 when both games take place at home.

This was not a great day to ring in the New Year if you were watching Gopher sports.

I was disappointed with what I saw today. The most disappointing aspect of the game was the offensive rebounds which often led to easy putbacks for MSU. The worst was when we allowed a wide open 3 and somehow also allowed MSU to rebound the missed wide open 3 and score anyways. There were also some back breaking easy baskets for MSU in the 2nd half after Minnesota made field goals (which was a rarity). It was so tough to see a ball actually go in the basket for Minnesota then see MSU beat us down the court and score a bucket to answer.

On offense, we couldn't find any open shots. For the first 10 minutes or so, it seemed like every Gopher shot was a force up that was contested heavily. I didn't feel like we were getting any good shots, which is a credit to the MSU defense and a cause for concern about the offensive ability of our players.

It was just one game, but to be non-competitive in a home opener is pretty discouraging. This team should get better and it is way too early to speculate about JUCO players being busts. It usually takes a JUCO player a long time, sometimes even a full year, before the light comes on for them in major college basketball. The tOSU game is now very important to the Gophers as they simply can't start the Big Ten 0-2 when both games take place at home.

This was not a great day to ring in the New Year if you were watching Gopher sports.

It was a tough day to watch sports yesterday. I was the most bummed out by the basketball game, as I really thought the Gophers might pull one off. The first half was as intense of a half I have watched for some time. The defensive effort by both teams was fantastic. The Gophers made it very close with only about 4 minutes of good shooting. The first half was just good basketball especially defense and effort. MSU was the better team.
Then I turned it over to watch Air Force lose to Houston.
And then finally watched the Gopher football team play like they have for what seems like the last 10 years. Will they ever have a defense? The team is very young, but seems like nothing has changed.
The only thing that will make it better today is if I get to watch the Huskers lose with all my Huskers friends. I am tired about all the comments about the Big 10 sucks, Big 12 is great, of course they are right about that this year.

Happy New Year.

Here's a stat for everyone: Nolen our pg leads us in rebounding! Next year having Trevor will really help in that department. Iverson can become a good rebounder.

MSU's outside defense was incredible. We are a fairly good perimiter team with decent guards that can hit (most of) the open shots but find it very hard to create against very quick defenders that really overplay the outside. To combat this type of defense you need a strong inside player that will make them pay if they don't double down when the ball goes into the low post. We're just not skilled or big enough inside yet (versus a good inside team like MSU) to take advantage of the 1-on-1 play down low. Our big guys need to get stronger and develop better skills, then we can compete against a team like MSU. This is our primary weakness going forward and as I've said in another post, Iverson is the most important player on this team. His developement during the season is the key to an invite to the dance.

Good stat, March Madness

Lets all say a prayer for Nolen's good health.

Great points watertown. I was noticing the same thing. Williams horking up bricks isn't going to help free up our perimiter guys. I reall like Iverson and Sampson but they weren't prepared to really make a difference against big veterans, especially big veterans coached by Izzo.

For those who don't like the BTN. ...

now's the time of year when it's at its best. Four games on the BTN tomorrow. Any conference game the rest of the season not on the BTN will appear on CBS, ESPN or ESPN2. In my opinion, any shortcomings the BTN has (there are some) are more than made up for by what happens between now and mid-March. Tomorrow?

11 a.m. -- Ohio State (1-0) at Gophers (0-1)
1 p.m. -- Penn State (1-0) at Bucky (1-0)
3:35 p.m. -- Indiana (0-0) at Iowa (0-1)
6 p.m. -- Michigan State (1-0) at Northwestern (0-1)

and for good measure Sunday. ...

11 a.m. -- Illinois (1-0) at Michigan (0-1)

To quote Roberto Benigni, "Life is beautiful."

Top Bottom