2024 College Football Playoff Schedule

An unanswered (and so far unasked?) question is who gets the ticket revenue -- the home team or NCAA? And which one is paying the rent?
Again the NCAA does not run the Football Playoff, it's the College Football Committee. That does not answer your question with regards to revenue distribution. Just pointing out the NCAA will not get a dime.

Even at $165 that's close to an extra $2.5 million. Prices will no doubt go up in the next 2-3 years to get it even closer to $200 and beyond.

Another benchmark would be what the Vikings charged for their Playoff game. Anybody know? I checked on prices for the Cowboys game and even non-resale nosebleeds were around $200.

Also the 2019 Final 4, felt like the going rate was well over $200 (per session).
If you add more seats the market price would be lower (assuming you sold them) So keep that in mind.

I think the tickets for a playoff game will cost much more than $100, likely in the $200 - $300 range (or higher). Post #26.

The cut of food and beverage sales would certainly be able to be negotiated. BCS/Hosts could certainly get a taste.
For first round play-in games? Those extra tickets would be nose bleed sections. I don't think so. BCS?

Even at $165 that's close to an extra $2.5 million. Prices will no doubt go up in the next 2-3 years to get it even closer to $200 and beyond.

Another benchmark would be what the Vikings charged for their Playoff game. Anybody know? I checked on prices for the Cowboys game and even non-resale nosebleeds were around $200.

Also the 2019 Final 4, felt like the going rate was well over $200 (per session).
I think we can all agree the Rose Bowl is a bigger game than a first round playoff game hosted in the midwest.

I think we can all agree the Rose Bowl is a bigger game than a first round playoff game hosted in the midwest.
The Rose Bowl like last year an exhibition between 2 also rans compared to a game between 2 teams with Championship hopes? I would think the Playoff would have more value.

If the Playoffs aren't that big of a deal then they should have stayed with a 4 team field or only expanded by 2-4 teams.

The Rose Bowl like last year an exhibition between 2 also rans compared to a game between 2 teams with Championship hopes? I would think the Playoff would have more value.

If the Playoffs aren't that big of a deal then they should have stayed with a 4 team field or only expanded by 2-4 teams.
Lmao. The most prestigious bowl game in the country or number 8 vs. 9 in flyover country in mid-december? Tough pick.

But that’s besides the point. Your price prediction is delusional.

Last edited:

For first round play-in games? Those extra tickets would be nose bleed sections. I don't think so. BCS?
BCS is the old acronym (Bowl Championship Series) which I inexplicably reverted to, my bad. Replaced by CFP in 2013.

Lmao. The most prestigious bowl game in the country or number 8 vs. 9 in the Midwest in December? Tough pick.

But that’s besides the point. Your price prediction is delusional.
Old Rose Bowl sure. Grandaddy of them all. Last year, just another game. Lowest ratings ever.

I don't think the prices I am projecting are that much out of whack. I went to Des Moines for the NCAA Basketball Tournament this past March. Upper Deck tickets $100 face. Doubling that seems well within reason for a CFP game, even nosebleeds.

We'll find out in 2024 what the 4 hosts charge.

🤷‍♀️BCS is the old acronym (Bowl Championship Series) which I inexplicably reverted to, my bad. Replaced by CFP in 2013.

Old Rose Bowl sure. Grandaddy of them all. Last year, just another game. Lowest ratings ever.

I don't think the prices I am projecting are that much out of whack. I went to Des Moines for the NCAA Basketball Tournament this past March. Upper Deck tickets $100 face. Doubling that seems well within reason for a CFP game, even nosebleeds.

We'll find out in 2024 what the 4 hosts charge.
The super duper cfp semi-final tickets are cheaper than the rose bowl.

The super duper cfp semi-final tickets are cheaper than the rose bowl.

So, the cheapest option ($150) CFP Cotton Bowl 2021 was a whopping $15 less expensive than the cheapest 2023 Rose Bowl seats. If anything that pricing chart confirms what I think the 2024 & 2025 Playoff tickets will cost, with other prices being $240 & $310.

The prices won't go down. Less fans having to travel could drive prices up.

As it relates to On Campus vs US Bank, not all of the extra 15,000 seats are nosebleeds as the lower deck completely enclosed. Also more club and suites.

Lack of a frost bite threat could increase the value as well.

So, the cheapest option ($150) CFP Cotton Bowl 2021 was a whopping $15 less expensive than the cheapest 2023 Rose Bowl seats. If anything that pricing chart confirms what I think the 2024 & 2025 Playoff tickets will cost, with other prices being $240 & $310.

As it relates to On Campus vs US Bank, not all of the extra 15,000 seats are nosebleeds as the lower deck completely enclosed. Also more club and suites.

For starters, none of this "driving the price up" BS. We're talking face value from gophersports.com (or ticketmaster if they rent US Bank Stadium). Not what Mr. Scalper is selling them for on StubHub or SeatGeek which will undoubtedly be higher in the event of a sell out. I don't care if they sell for $300 on some third party website. That's not face value.

Second, you're conveniently ignoring that the home playoff games are 2 rounds before a cfp sem-final, which currently starts around $150. Get in the door price for a game 2 rounds earlier would be no more than $100. Period.

The Big Ten title game starts at $60 for crying out loud. $200-$300 starting is just a silly take based on the incorrect assumption that a first round playoff game would be comparatively priced to a semi-final bowl game TWO(!) rounds later.

Last edited:

For starters, none of this "driving the price up" BS. We're talking face value from gophersports.com (or ticketmaster if they rent US Bank Stadium). Not what Mr. Scalper is selling them for on StubHub or SeatGeek which will undoubtedly be higher in the event of a sell out. I don't care if they sell for $300 on some third party website. That's not face value.

Second, you're conveniently ignoring that the home playoff games are 2 rounds before a cfp sem-final, which currently starts around $150. Get in the door price for a game 2 rounds earlier would be no more than $100. Period.

The Big Ten title game starts at $60 for crying out loud. $200-$300 starting is just a silly take based on the incorrect assumption that a first round playoff game would be comparatively priced to a semi-final bowl game TWO(!) rounds later.
I was not referring to Secondary Market at all. My comment was because local fans won't have to travel the initial demand will be there to sell to the hometown crowd and the face value price will be set accordingly. With dynamic pricing Ticketmaster and the Gophers can have the ability to modify prices within minutes after they go on sale.

I disagree on the price point. I assume average price $200-$300 it's pretty much in line with what the Vikings charged for a comparable Wild Card game without any metal bleacher seats. It's not far off from what is being charged for premium Gopher games currently.

Now having said that, there is a lot of unknowns, positive and negative.

Maybe it will be difficult on short notice with Holidays approaching to get that type of dollar.
Maybe a Gopher team that is 12-1 with wins over Iowa, Wisconsin and another big dog creating such a huge bandwagon effect that would set the market to those heights.
Maybe a large inventory would be set aside for students at a much cheaper price.
Maybe students on winter break, wouldn't be able to make it anyway.
Maybe just to start they want to ensure a full house and go with a more budget price point.
Maybe the game is against another team with a large fanbase possibly within driving distance.
Maybe with fans assured they won't have to sit in temps hovering zero or a blizzard, a game in US Bank will set a high face value.

Last edited:

Who would want to play a bowl after that though? I can't imagine anyone doing it even if they could. The # of players opting out would be through the roof.
Might be true, but it wouldn't be any different than any other meaningless bowl game.

Apples to oranges because the four first round games are essentially play-in games to the quarterfinals, not the two games that are determining who will play in the championship game. Way different pricing model. Going from a three game CFP to a 12 game CFP.

Moving to USBS would be more premium ($$$) seating, not more nosebleed seating.

Regardless, even if it came out to a complete, exact wash once you factor in the rental fee for USBS, then I still choose having the game at USBS.

HBS is not meant to have football games after November. Iowa game last year was brutal enough. No thanks.

It's a special game in special circumstances, it deserves an upgraded, bowl-game atmosphere type experience.

Apples to oranges because the four first round games are essentially play-in games to the quarterfinals, not the two games that are determining who will play in the championship game. Way different pricing model. Going from a three game CFP to a 12 game CFP.
I agree it's not exactly like-for-like, but as a baseline it's why I still think that's what the prices would be set at. Lots of unknowns though, which I alluded to subsequently in Post #71.

It's already gone in circles enough, but the average price I had in mind is similar to what the Gophers charge for premium games, in line for Vikings Wild Card games or even a regular season game vs the Cowboys, and quite frankly the going rate for what big time entertainment costs these days.

Top Bottom