2023 Transfer Portal Results

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
The 2023 247 Transfer Portal Rankings aren't final yet, because there is still some movement occurring (such as the Gophers with CB candidates). And many recent transfers don't have a transfer ranking yet (on the Gophers, that would be new transfers Rowan Zolman and Tre'Von Jones). But the rankings are probably 85-90% there.

The B1G, as a whole, has not hit the transfer portal nearly as hard as some other conferences. Since there is every reason to use the portal to achieve 85 scholarship players, the B1G's relatively modest use of the portal tells me that, at least for this year, the B1G has been pretty good at integrating, developing and keeping HS candidates and earlier transfers with multi-year eligibility. I would hazard a guess that any team (and there are many) that has, say, 15 or more committed incoming transfers is either losing or chasing off an unusual number of existing players. Such high turnover numbers might point to recruiting "fit" (including academic preparation, maturity, character), development progress, and/or team culture issues that transcend a "normal" team's desire annually to upgrade its roster.

I personally think that PJ, in HS recruiting, really nails the recruiting "fit" piece. He brings in kids that are academically prepared, emotionally mature and of high character. This something to be proud of in the abstract, but I believe in the long run it is also a factor in development and retention. Anyway, here are the rankings at the moment (which will change some as recent transfers get their rankings). Colorado included for reference:

247 Rank; Team: # of Transfers; Avg. Rating
1-- Colorado: 38; 88.29
14-- Indiana: 20; 87.53
19-- Wisconsin: 13; 87.38
23-- Michigan: 8; 90.71
25-- Maryland: 9; 89.11
26-- Nebraska: 12; 88.10
31-- Michigan St.: 12; 85.50
45-- Minnesota: 9; 88.50
46-- Iowa: 7; 88.17
49-- Purdue: 8; 87.50
50-- Ohio St.: 5; 89.75
58-- Illinois: 5; 87.40
60-- Rutgers: 5; 87.20
64-- Penn St.: 5; 87.50
83-- Northwestern: 1; 86.00

Northwestern might be outlier. I suspect its low number of transfer commits reflects something other than current roster strength/depth.

Last edited:

The 2023 247 Transfer Portal Rankings aren't final yet, because there is still some movement occurring (such as the Gophers with CB candidates). And many recent transfers don't have a transfer ranking yet (on the Gophers, that would be new transfers Rowan Zolman and Tre'Von Jones). But the rankings are probably 85-90% there.

The B1G, as a whole, has not hit the transfer portal nearly as hard as some other conferences. Since there is every reason to use the portal to achieve 85 scholarship players, the B1G's relatively modest use of the portal tells me that, at least for this year, the B1G has been pretty good at integrating, developing and keeping HS candidates and earlier transfers with multi-year eligibility. I would hazard a guess that any team (and there are many) that has, say, 15 or more committed incoming transfers is either losing or chasing off an unusual number of existing players. Such high turnover numbers might point to recruiting "fit" (including academic preparation, maturity, character), development progress, and/or team culture issues that transcend a "normal" team's desire annually to upgrade its roster.

I personally think that PJ, in HS recruiting, really nails the recruiting "fit" piece. He brings in kids that are academically prepared, emotionally mature and of high character. This something to be proud of in the abstract, but I believe in the long run it is also a factor in development and retention. Anyway, here are the rankings at the moment (which will change some as recent transfers get their rankings). Colorado included for reference:

247 Rank; Team: # of Transfers; Avg. Rating
1-- Colorado: 38; 88.29
14-- Indiana: 20; 87.53
19-- Wisconsin: 13; 87.38
23-- Michigan: 8; 90.71
25-- Maryland: 9; 89.11
26-- Nebraska: 12; 88.10
31-- Michigan St.: 12; 85.50
45-- Minnesota: 9; 88.50
46-- Iowa: 7; 88.17
49-- Purdue: 8; 87.50
50-- Ohio St.: 5; 89.75
58-- Illinois: 5; 87.40
60-- Rutgers: 5; 87.20
64-- Penn St.: 5; 87.50
83-- Northwestern: 1; 86.00

Northwestern might be outlier. I suspect its low number of transfer commits reflects something other than current roster strength/depth.
@Gophergrandpa, you are spot on.

The Transfer Portal made every position on the team very competitive. Many developmental HS players on the Gophers' squad must make tough choices. Do they transfer out or maintain their patience to develop and remain with the team? Roster players lower in the depth chart who want to start will transfer out.

The Gophers must keep their top developmental players. Several who have made remarkable progress are now cornerstones on the team who have made great strides in leadership development. We don't want to lose these players.

Top Bottom