2022-23 Gopher Half Glass Full Discussion

I thought it was their best game of the year by far.

Things I liked:
  • The players played with significantly more grit. That really worried me coming into this game. Purdue can bully tough teams and we looked a long ways from tough coming into the game. I was happy with how
  • Ben's rotations made more sense. Battle got minutes at the 4! That needs to keep happening, in fact, our entire lineup should be built around the premise that Battle is our starting PF.
  • JOJ is a Big 10 basketball player.

I'll save the things that concerned me for other threads :).

Go Gophers!

Things I liked:
  • The players played with significantly more grit. That really worried me coming into this game. Purdue can bully tough teams and we looked a long ways from tough coming into the game. I was happy with how
  • Ben's rotations made more sense. Battle got minutes at the 4! That needs to keep happening, in fact, our entire lineup should be built around the premise that Battle is our starting PF.

Go Gophers!
I saw a little more fight yesterday. It would be great to see them follow that up with a win vs. Michigan or Miss. St. in the next week to help them see how results follow effort.

If Garcia doesn't get his wings under him a bit, I would try the small line-up against certain squads. Battle is not known as a lock down defender and I worry that he will wear himself out guarding some bigger players.

I know you put a smiley face on your concerns comment. I really don't want folks to have to put only positive comments here. Constructive criticism would be great too but, sadly, there are SO MANY posters who just want to vent their frustration that it quickly snowballs into the usual sky is falling rhetoric. I wish I had the answers.

I saw a little more fight yesterday. It would be great to see them follow that up with a win vs. Michigan or Miss. St. in the next week to help them see how results follow effort.

If Garcia doesn't get his wings under him a bit, I would try the small line-up against certain squads. Battle is not known as a lock down defender and I worry that he will wear himself out guarding some bigger players.

I know you put a smiley face on your concerns comment. I really don't want folks to have to put only positive comments here. Constructive criticism would be great too but, sadly, there are SO MANY posters who just want to vent their frustration that it quickly snowballs into the usual sky is falling rhetoric. I wish I had the answers.
Battle, on several occasions, was the 1st one in the defensive side of the court.

Things I liked:

Go Gophers!
I would agree.

I think Ben should be going with
Payne 5
Battle 4
Garcia 3
Carrington 2
Cooper 1

Henley/ JOJ and Samuels off the bench with TT as an emergency big
Garcia can serve time at the 4 or 5 when Battle or Payne are out

It is obvious that we are developing for next year. Any plan that has Payne getting less than 30 minutes feels like a bad one to me. Ola Joseph is a big surprise and needs 20 minutes. The good news is that guys can spend time on the pine this year if they dog it.

I'm good with what our coaching staff is doing. I won't question their decisions on starters or minutes played. I'm certain that they are at practice and are seeing each player work on their game individually and corporately. They know the areas of strength and weakness better than my fly by views during a game. If the kids weren't trying and were giving up, I would have cause for concern. But, this team is working hard and truly wants to improve. I see the natural athleticism in these kids. They have the physical skills to compete. They just don't have the experience. This is the year to get that experience at a school that competes against the best teams in the nation. It's a blessing for these kids and they will improve. Our coaches are working with them and they are improving. Observe the process. The show seems bleak, but we have barely moved past the intro. This show is going to turn out well in the end.

ESPN has us as analytical favorites vs Michigan. Plus Michigan is coming off a tough loss in another country just 4 days prior. Let's get a win!
I was just telling my wife that we have a good chance at taking that game. That's no shit. Let's get some butts in those seats and make some noise, motherfuckers!

this is sort of a negative positive comment.

going into the season, I thought - and I believe a lot of other people thought - that Garcia was going to be a major contributor - maybe even an all-B1G level player.

so far this season, that has not materialized. that's the negative.

the positive - if Garcia can get out of this funk, or he and the coaches can figure out his role in the offense, there is a lot of upside there.

if Garcia and Battle can figure out a way where both players are productive on the same night, that changes the equation and takes some of the pressure/responsibility off of the younger players.

something to watch and hope for.

I would agree.

Payne 5
Battle 4
Garcia 3
Carrington 2
Cooper 1

It is obvious that we are developing for next year. Any plan that has Payne getting less than 30 minutes feels like a bad one to me. Ola Joseph is a big surprise and needs 20 minutes. The good news is that guys can spend time on the pine this year if they dog it.
JOJ & PP deserve at least 27-30 mpg. IMO, JOJ minutes can come from Garcia and also to give Battle a longer blow. Give the youngsters more PT.

In the past two games JOJ has outplayed Garcia and the stats show it. JOJ has averaged 18 mpg, 3.5 reb, 10.5 Pts, and 53% FG compared to Garcia at 25mpg, 1.5 reb, 5.5 pts and 29% FG. Plus JOJ has shown a stronger physical presence.

I would agree.

Payne 5
Battle 4
Garcia 3
Carrington 2
Cooper 1

Are we sure Payne is not hampered by a nagging back injury? If he's 100% Ben is using him in a strange fashion.

JOJ & PP deserve at least 27-30 mpg. IMO, JOJ minutes can come from Garcia and also to give Battle a longer blow. Give the youngsters more PT.

In the past two games JOJ has outplayed Garcia and the stats show it. JOJ has averaged 18 mpg, 3.5 reb, 10.5 Pts, and 53% FG compared to Garcia at 25mpg, 1.5 reb, 5.5 pts and 29% FG. Plus JOJ has shown a stronger physical presence.
Lets see How Dawson looks the next few games. If he really had the flu last week like the paywalls claim than I would expect him to be better in the coming games. JOJ playing about a 20 night is perfect for him right now. Dawson at his best is much better and if this team is going to do anything they need him, Battle and Cooper at their best with the Freshman continuing to improve and show flashes.

Just watched the women's bb win 98 to 96 in 2 overtime. Exciting game. I believe they made around 22 out of 28 free throws...so men it can be done.
Funny but if we could at least improve our free throw shooting, that would be a massive step in being more competitive.

Whats the FT % average for teams in the B1G

Are we sure Payne is not hampered by a nagging back injury? If he's 100% Ben is using him in a strange fashion.
Do we know of such an injury? He didn't look like he had a sore back on that drive to the hoop against Purdue!

I was just telling my wife that we have a good chance at taking that game. That's no shit. Let's get some butts in those seats and make some noise, motherfuckers!
I'll be in prayer at another location. Mostly middle eastern community. There will be some noise, but not the kind you're hoping for. May it all come together for multiple victories.

I'll be in prayer at another location. Mostly middle eastern community. There will be some noise, but not the kind you're hoping for. May it all come together for multiple victories.
It may take multiple communities engaged in prayer to come away with this victory. We thank you for your service in advance!

Top Bottom