2021 Off Season

adamj95

Reaction score
I don’t see the gophers playing in any post season tournament so might as well start an off season thread. What do the gophers need to do to take the next step? Clearly they lack a good defending center. Going to be interesting to see who stays or who transfers. I think if Whalen can get a good impact player via a transfer that could help them make the NCAA next season.

It's a big if but if all the current players stay we should be solid @ the guard position. We need a big improvement @ center on O n D as well as a solid PF. Would really like to see what Sossoko or Sconiers could do if they were not forced to play center. Team D and a big reduction in TO's are a must to take the next step. Our freshman had alot of playing time so hopefully that translates into a big jump next year. I agree the portal should be very active for next season.

It will be difficult to move up in the BIG, many players coming back with more than likely all of Maryland, OSU and Michigan. Still there is no reason why this team cannot pull out and upset or 2 when fully healthy. Many of the younger players got to experience conference play and now know what it takes to compete. saw Sissoko make improvements in her game hope that continues.

We did win 8 BIG games with a makeshift lineup every game. If we had Scalia, we didnt have Diva and vice versa, and that put to much pressure on Jazz and Kadi.
We will need a frontline 4 or 5 in the portal or a dynamic 3 (Kadi to 4) to go from 8 wins to like 12-13.
plus dont underestimate this team, in particular, not having a non conf schedule from a continuity perspective

Potential for Lindsay to make a splash with a transfer.

Treasure Thompson 6’2 Fr. Forward is leaving LSU. GOPHERS were in her top 5 during recruiting season.

We need a talent upgrade and depth @ PF n center. Work the portal Lindsay !

Theres gonna be a ton of options in the portal, gonna be an interesting offseason for everyone.

I hope if there are any girls who are transferring they announce quickly, so the coaches have a better idea of what to look for.

Good catch, I remember her. I looked her up on the LSU roster and she was planted quite firmly on the bench. Makes me wonder if her upside is as good as she seemed before. LSU had a losing record but lots of upperclassmen so maybe she just needed more play. https://lsusports.net/sports/womens-basketball/roster/treasure-thompson/24472
I suspect her not getting any minutes is a sign there is an underlying deficiency in her game that we would never pick up on.
- coachability
- Defensive issues
- cant interpret concepts

it usually is not offensive part of game, because if you can play defense, you will play.

Good thread. I'm wondering where we go from here? I really didn't watch much this season, but want Whalen to succeed. Do people think that she is building a fundamentally sound program and team?

Good thread. I'm wondering where we go from here? I really didn't watch much this season, but want Whalen to succeed. Do people think that she is building a fundamentally sound program and team?
Short answer yes. There have been multiple threads on this topic. Overall she has recruited good talent and has more coming next year. She need to develop a center and PF. Also, they need improved team D and reduce the TO's. She clearly has a vision but not all the talent and execute it @ a high level consistently. With Covid and multiple injuries she didn't have her consistent players available for many of the games. No doubt this season was a disappointment but it's too early to tell if she will be successful long term.

I've
Short answer yes. There have been multiple threads on this topic. Overall she has recruited good talent and has more coming next year. She need to develop a center and PF. Also, they need improved team D and reduce the TO's. She clearly has a vision but not all the talent and execute it @ a high level consistently. With Covid and multiple injuries she didn't have her consistent players available for many of the games. No doubt this season was a disappointment but it's too early to tell if she will be successful long term.
I've watched most games but I guess I hadn't toted it all up, so I was shocked to hear the announcers (in between sniping at each other) say Sconiers was the lone player who was available for every game.

I was watching a game today and they mentioned that a team had the same starters for every game this year so i checked how many different starting lineups we had this year. In 21 games we had 12 different starting lineups. The most games started by 1 lineup was 7 games. Thats crazy.

Kenosha native/ Marlene Stollings singalong target/former Michigan State/former Mississippi State post Sidney Cooks is apparently transferring again, according to Raoul. (Looks like she wasn't a game-changer at her second MSU either but she was a solid contributor.)

Kenosha native/ Marlene Stollings singalong target/former Michigan State/former Mississippi State post Sidney Cooks is apparently transferring again, according to Raoul. (Looks like she wasn't a game-changer at her second MSU either but she was a solid contributor.)
lets mention she is transferring from Mississippi State to go to law school

Top Bottom