2020-2021 Schedule

Ragnor

Reaction score
Anyone have any insight on when the schedule will be released? I was hoping to have a game to watch over the Thanksgiving break but with no schedule yet I am concerned. It would be nice if they would at least release a partial schedule with open dates.

Not sure how reliable the source is but Raoul’s Twitter account he posted an interview with the Wright State BB coach. She is hearing that all power 5 conference are considering conference games only and not starting until after Christmas. If that’s the case it would explain the delay in announcing the BIG schedule. Only a few BIG teams have announced non conference schedule

Schedule is out. First non-conference game is December 2 versus Eastern Illinois. Only 2 non-conference games. Big Ten schedule begins on December 9 versus Michigan State. Game time and TV coverage to follow. (Whalenfan posted moments before me!)

Here's a link to the full schedule:

Oh No! no games to watch until the 2nd.:( The second game isn't currently slated to be broadcast at all. I hope that changes.

Oh No! no games to watch until the 2nd.:( The second game isn't currently slated to be broadcast at all. I hope that changes.
Minnesota and Nebraska both are starting late because of being shutdown with covid. Hopefully they can add a game or 2 at some point but other teams are gonna have trouble getting nonconference games in as well.

Last edited:

Pretty favorable big ten schedule. Only play NW, Rutgers, Indiana, OSU, Purdue, MIchigan state once.

Home only: Michigan state, Indiana, Purdue
Road only: Northwestern, Ohio State, Rutgers
Play both at home and on the road: Penn State, Maryland, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan

With very little non conference games, Gophers are gonna have to do well in the BIG in order to get to the NCAA, which hasn’t been their strong suit lately. Need to steal same games from the upper teams. I think this team can do it, seem to have more height, more athletic, more depth and experienced guards.

Would have wished for the Gophers to challenge themselves.

How so? They have 2 OOC games. Drake is a very good mid major, not sure about Eastern Illinois. With only 2 OOC games not sure how much more they could have challenged themselves.

The mens team put out a schedule and a week later added 2 games. Theres alot of days open from mid December to early January if they wanted to add some games. With the amount of games getting cancelled this week, theres probably gonna be quite a few teams looking to add.

Last edited:

How so? They have 2 OOC games. Drake is a very good mid major, not sure about Eastern Illinois. With only 2 OOC games not sure how much more they could have challenged themselves.
In response to the post before mine, I was saying the Gophers shouldn't avoid good teams. Playing Maryland twice will make them better.

unless i’m mistaken, teams don’t choose their conference schedule. The league does that, am i wrong?

Nice to see the Drake game and Michigan State games have been added to the broadcast schedule. They will be on BTN+ and BTN respectively.

For a team that needs to get back in game shape quickly, they need to schedule at least one game between Northwestern (Dec 14) and Indiana (Dec 23). It does them no good whatsoever to have a 9 day break - play one game - then another 10 day break over the holidays (next game Wisc on 1/3). This team needs competitive time on the court. The administration is inept if they keep that schedule.

For a team that needs to get back in game shape quickly, they need to schedule at least one game between Northwestern (Dec 14) and Indiana (Dec 23). It does them no good whatsoever to have a 9 day break - play one game - then another 10 day break over the holidays (next game Wisc on 1/3). This team needs competitive time on the court. The administration is inept if they keep that schedule.
They did have 2 other games at the start of the year but had to cancel them, I agree they should add a game but they also need practice time badly.

Is this when they would normally have finals? Maybe the school won’t allow it?

That has been the case in the past and I assumed the same thing. Here is the finals schedule for this year:
Final exams: Thursday December, 17 through Saturday, December 19, and Monday, December 21 through Wednesday, December 23
Study days: Sunday, December 20

The mens team plays on the 20th 25th and 28th so the women shouldnt have any problems scheduling a game in this time frame if they wanted to.

I wonder how the relationship is between Whalen and Walz (given that, like Frese, he "didn't play any minutes this year" when the two coaches left the Gophers for Maryland). And I assume, given who's playing for U Conn when they finally start to play, we'll see Geno Auriemma's team in the Barn sooner rather than later.

Top Bottom