2017 Schedule

GoldenAle

Reaction score
Not to get too far ahead, but 2016 was supposed to be the easiest schedule in recent memory. 2017 isn't looking too bad either:

Buffalo - Should Win
@ Oregon State - Probable Win
Middle TN State - Should Win
Maryland - Should Win
@ Purdue - Should Win
Michigan State - Amazing the difference in a year, but given current state of affairs this is a probable win
Illinois - Should Win
@ Iowa - 50/50
@ Michigan - Probable Loss
Nebraska - 50/50
@ Northwestern - 50/50
Wisconsin - 50/50

I see 7 probable wins, 4 50/50s, and only 1 probable loss. Could easily be another 8+ win season. Not to place blame on Leidner, but it will be interesting to see what a new QB can do in Johnson's system.

Stuff like this is how people get angry about football no matter what the result....

Long way to go until 2017 but yeah on paper it would look like next year presents another great opportunity for a good start to the season before things get much tougher towards the end.

Just like this year, 2017 seems to be front-loaded with the easier part of the BIG schedule and then finish much tougher in the back half of it.

We'll have a lot of guys back on offense and defense ... except the quarterback. If we're competent at QB, next year could be fun. But having a new quarterback, whose actual talents are unknown to most of us on this board, makes it difficult to write "should win" after too many of those games today.

Without knowing a thing about our team for 2017 and their teams for 2017, this would be my thought:

Buffalo - Should Win
@ Oregon State - 50/50
Maryland - Should Win
@ Purdue - Should Win
Michigan State - Should Win
Illinois - Should Win
@ Iowa - 50/50
Nebraska - 50/50
@ Northwestern - 50/50
Wisconsin - Probable Loss

Anywhere from 6-6 to 10-2 seems reasonable at this point. And the beginning of the season does seem to be front loaded with easy teams yet again (if you think defending a 7-2 team is bad this year, just wait until you have to defend a 7-0 team next year. Kidding...kind of.). But really there is so much that can happen between now and then it's tough to make any sort of call.

Is Wisconsin always the last game of the year per B1G rules or something?

Yes. Wisconsin is alway the last game of the season. They finally got it right a few season ago by putting Wisconsin game at the end.

The schedule lines up pretty well, considering we'll be breaking in a new starting QB, by the time we get to Iowa he will have matured.

Not to get too far ahead, but 2016 was supposed to be the easiest schedule in recent memory. 2017 isn't looking too bad either:

Buffalo - Should Win
Maryland - Should Win
@ Purdue - Should Win
Michigan State - Amazing the difference in a year, but given current state of affairs this is a probable win
Illinois - Should Win
@ Iowa - 50/50
Nebraska - 50/50
@ Northwestern - 50/50
Wisconsin - 50/50

I see 7 probable wins, 4 50/50s, and only 1 probable loss. Could easily be another 8+ win season. Not to place blame on Leidner, but it will be interesting to see what a new QB can do in Johnson's system.

First 7 games:

6-1 or better would be a success, 5-2 would be acceptable, 4-3 would be disappointing.

Full schedule:

8-4 or better would be a success, 7-5 would be acceptable, and 6-6 or worse would be disappointing.

Hard to set expectations now though because in my opinion it will all come down to QB play, which is a complete unknown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just remember - if the Gophers win, it's because the other team stinks. If the Gophers lose, it's because they stink. You may never Give the Gophers credit when they win, and you may never give the other team credit when they win..................................

Yes. Wisconsin is alway the last game of the season. They finally got it right a few season ago by putting Wisconsin game at the end.

Michigan vs Ohio State
Alabama vs Auburn
Minnesota vs Wisconsin

Is Wisconsin always the last game of the year per B1G rules or something?

Yes, last week games are all set with rivalries.

I like what we return next year. We lose good players, but return all contributors on OL except Pirsig.

QB will be the big question. Glad they all had a year with Johnson to learn the system.

If we go 0-3, it could all get blown up.

Regarding this year's schedule, I agree it's easier than years past, but our 3 toughest games are all away -- PSU, NE, & WI. Next year we get NE, WI, and MSU (assuming they bounce back) at home.

Michigan State is one year removed from the CFP playoffs and a historic streak of success, has one bad year this year, suddenly we're predicting wins against them.

Michigan State is one year removed from the CFP playoffs and a historic streak of success, has one bad year this year, suddenly we're predicting wins against them.

To be fair, their bad year is a really bad year. I presume they'll bounce back at least somewhat, but they're ... really, really bad this year. Like, might-lose-to-Rutgers bad.

To be fair, their bad year is a really bad year. I presume they'll bounce back at least somewhat, but they're ... really, really bad this year. Like, might-lose-to-Rutgers bad.

One year... Still bonkers to count that win vs a recent playoff team...

Buffalo - Should Win
Maryland - Should Win
@ Purdue - Should Win
Illinois - Should Win
@ Iowa - 50/50
Nebraska - 50/50
@ Northwestern - 50/50
Wisconsin - 50/50

Wisconsin 50/50 really?
They will be bringing back a QB best WR TE enough good RBs and the whole o-line. They will probably have another top 10 D to go with that.

Buffalo - Win
@ Oregon State - Loss
Middle TN State - Win
Maryland - Win
@ Purdue - Win
Michigan State - Loss
Illinois - Win
@ Iowa - Loss
@ Michigan - Loss
Nebraska - Win
@ Northwestern - Loss
Wisconsin - Win (the streak finally ends)

7-5 would be a solid year with that schedule.

Wisconsin 50/50 really?
They will be bringing back a QB best WR TE enough good RBs and the whole o-line. They will probably have another top 10 D to go with that.

They will be down next year.

Regarding this year's schedule, I agree it's easier than years past, but our 3 toughest games are all away -- PSU, NE, & WI. Next year we get NE, WI, and MSU (assuming they bounce back) at home.

@Michigan will likely be a tougher game than all 3 of them.

They will be down next year.

Um. No. This was widely viewed as the down year for Badger football. Next year we will definitely be improved. Particularly on the offensive line.

Um. No. This was widely viewed as the down year for Badger football. Next year we will definitely be improved. Particularly on the offensive line.

I will be shocked if the Badgers even make a bowl game next year. It's over.

Definitely?

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

Definitely. Gary Andersen was a disaster for the offensive line at UW. He wanted smaller, quicker lineman. Wisconsin has always made a living off of big bruising offensive lineman and has put many into the NFL. The new regime is going back to this concept, including a greater emphasis on strength training (believe it or not).

We have a young QB, a bevy of quality TE and some high quality young receivers. Plus, Paul Chryst knows how to run an offense.

On defense we have incredible depth at LB, quality youth on the DL and the best young DB coach in college football.

Barring disaster the Badger football program is in good shape for the foreseeable future. Gophers are going to have to step it up to compete.

I honestly hope it happens.

Top Bottom