2014 Big Ten football preview countdown, from Indiana to Ohio State

Killjoy

Reaction score
“Under fourth-year coach Jerry Kill, Minnesota might be able to pull off something it hasn't achieved in quite some time: a third straight forward step. Kill's 2014 squad is low on star power but has both experience and depth on its side.”

WARNING! This article talks about the dreaded Glen Mason Territory. Proceed at your own risk. Wren does not need to apply.

Click on the link below to read the rest of the article.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/5/16/5723310/big-ten-football-2014-team-previews

It is a fair review. If we had an established QB I would be pretty optimistic, as it is I am hopeful but not confident.

“Under fourth-year coach Jerry Kill, Minnesota might be able to pull off something it hasn't achieved in quite some time: a third straight forward step. Kill's 2014 squad is low on star power but has both experience and depth on its side.”

WARNING! This article talks about the dreaded Glen Mason Territory. Proceed at your own risk. Wren does not need to apply.

Click on the link below to read the rest of the article.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/5/16/5723310/big-ten-football-2014-team-previews

All right killjoy. Be a jerk. That's nothing new. But, since you called my name, here is my take on the 2014 season.

Coach Kill and his staff will be as good, or as bad or as average as their B1G Conference record will say they are in the 2014 Conference Standings. Nothing less. Nothing more. Coach Kill seems to be a very good man. He certainly seems to be a good, solid coach. He is not God. He is working hard. In the B1G Conference hard work helps. It is not always enough.

I am hoping for the very best for Coach Kill and his staff as they bring my Golden Gophers into the 2014 Conference schedule. I will call it as I see it, and the B1G Conference final record will tell me all I need to know about my Golden Gopher Football team and the kind of job Coach Kill and his staff are doing.

My keys for the season are the Michigan game, the iowa game AND the game for the Axe against the stinking badgers.
The results of these three conference games will be a great indicator of how the 8 game schedule will be viewed by anyone watching the B1G Conference in 2014.

Does ANYBODY have a problem with that? If anyone does not think those are a good cross section of the kinds of teams in the Conference that my Gophers need to compete with and defeat with some degree of regularity, I would strongly disagree with them. I think those three games will, indeed tell every one of the experts on this site and every where else all they will need to know about Coach Kill, his staff, my Golden Gopher Football Team and this program in 2014.

Now killjoy, that is EXACTLY what I think about Coach Kill and his staff and I make NO mention of any other coaches past, present or possibly future. When you start messing with my moniker, there just may be an appropriate response to your nonsense.

wren - Same old slick and it is still really boring,

wren - Same old slick and it is still really boring,
Boring? I think the "facts of life" for a B1G Coach running a B1G program would dictate that every once in a while border battle and/or trophy games with teams such as iowa and wisky and Michigan must actually be won. If my Gophers go 1-2 against these three teams in 2014, at least a bit of progress would have been made from the 2013 season. If they go 2-1 against these three teams in 2014, progress would be very significant. If they go 3-0 against these three teams, a good bowl game should be in store for my Golden Gophers. However, 0-3 against these teams would be just as concerning as it was in 2013 and would indicate no progress from 2013 to 2014.

What the heck do you expect when you post an article like the one you posted? If a coach isn't making progress against my team's border and trophy game rivals in the conference, things are not getting better. If a coach is making progress against my team's border and trophy game rivals in the conference things would be getting better.

Call it boring all you want, killjoy, however those three conference games are critical to coach Kill and my Golden Gopher Football Team! Or, in your little world doesn't it matter if the Coach devises a game plan to actually be competitive once in a while against trophy game rivals such as Michigan, wisky and iowa. Right now the good coach Kill is 1-8 against iowa, Michigan and wisky during the 3 seasons he has been at the helm. You call that boring. Some may call that newsworthy. Personally, I just want my Golden Gophers to finally beat the stinking badgers.

Boring? I think the "facts of life" for a B1G Coach running a B1G program would dictate that every once in a while border battle and/or trophy games with teams such as iowa and wisky and Michigan must actually be won. If my Gophers go 1-2 against these three teams in 2014, at least a bit of progress would have been made from the 2013 season. If they go 2-1 against these three teams in 2014, progress would be very significant. If they go 3-0 against these three teams, a good bowl game should be in store for my Golden Gophers. However, 0-3 against these teams would be just as concerning as it was in 2013 and would indicate no progress from 2013 to 2014.

What the heck do you expect when you post an article like the one you posted? If a coach isn't making progress against my team's border and trophy game rivals in the conference, things are not getting better. If a coach is making progress against my team's border and trophy game rivals in the conference things would be getting better.

Call it boring all you want, killjoy, however those three conference games are critical to coach Kill and my Golden Gopher Football Team! Or, in your little world doesn't it matter if the Coach devises a game plan to actually be competitive once in a while against trophy game rivals such as Michigan, wisky and iowa. Right now the good coach Kill is 1-8 against iowa, Michigan and wisky during the 3 seasons he has been at the helm. You call that boring. Some may call that newsworthy. Personally, I just want my Golden Gophers to finally beat the stinking badgers.

Wisconsin and Michigan are both on the road...I'd give us pretty close to a 0% chance to win either of those games. Iowa will be a toss-up, though. There seems to be a fair amount of confidence that we can go into Camp Randall and win next year, and I'm not sure why. As much as we are improving every year, they are still on a different level than us. I would expect them to only have one loss (LSU) and be about 10-17 point favorites - depending on the type of season we're having.

Wisconsin and Michigan are both on the road...I'd give us pretty close to a 0% chance to win either of those games. Iowa will be a toss-up, though. There seems to be a fair amount of confidence that we can go into Camp Randall and win next year, and I'm not sure why. As much as we are improving every year, they are still on a different level than us. I would expect them to only have one loss (LSU) and be about 10-17 point favorites - depending on the type of season we're having.

I'm usually wrong (just ask my wife), but I see the team differently. I think we have chance against Michigan and OSU to shock them, due to a defense that should be strong enough to leave us in the game. I think we are also more likely, since we didn't do this last year, to drop a game to a team we should have beaten. I believe the peaks and the valleys of the season will have a higher amplitude than we're used to. It is all speculation at this point, but should be interesting to see.

I'm usually wrong (just ask my wife), but I see the team differently. I think we have chance against Michigan and OSU to shock them, due to a defense that should be strong enough to leave us in the game. I think we are also more likely, since we didn't do this last year, to drop a game to a team we should have beaten. I believe the peaks and the valleys of the season will have a higher amplitude than we're used to. It is all speculation at this point, but should be interesting to see.

We dropped a game to cuse should've beaten them

I keep hearing how our defense is going to be solid next year, and I really question that line of thinking. I admit our secondary looks great, linebackers should be just fine ( though losing Pock was a solid blow), but when it comes to the D line, the interior that is, I have a lot of worries. We just lost an incredible DT in Hageman, and on top of that Roland Johnson was a beast at stopping the run. The Big Ten is essentially a power run league as we all know, yet we have very little proven individuals to anchor the DT position. Bottacelli may be a senior, but he is not a top run stuffer in this conference. I feel quite unsure about our ability to stop the run up the middle this year. Hopefully Legina and a few others are actually ready to step up, otherwise Wisconsin and Iowa will run all over us.

Top Bottom