2013 Seniors - Graduation

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
The Gophers had 18 seniors on the roster. Nine were in grad school and Hageman & Vereen graduated in December. Before even reaching spring semester, the graduation rate is 61.1%

The ones left are:

Baltazar
Engel
Gillum
Hawthorne
Roland Johnson
Manual
Shabazz

Did any of these also graduate in December?

Not trying to turn this into a Brewster vs. Kill thread but there is an interesting dynamic to this in that Kill will get credited with a strong graduation rate yet nearly all those guys are Brewster recruits. I do see some Kill guys on the unknown list though. I guess we can rip on Brew for the overall state of the program but at least he left behind some decent students.

Not trying to turn this into a Brewster vs. Kill thread but there is an interesting dynamic to this in that Kill will get credited with a strong graduation rate yet nearly all those guys are Brewster recruits. I do see some Kill guys on the unknown list though. I guess we can rip on Brew for the overall state of the program but at least he left behind some decent students.

Outside of Hageman and Vereen. I'm pretty sure there are only Two Brewster guys on that list. Engel and Manual. Just saying. :)

Outside of Hageman and Vereen. I'm pretty sure there are only Two Brewster guys on that list. Engel and Manual. Just saying. :)

Was Engel a Brewster guy? I can't remember.

Anyway, one of the pieces missing in the academic report in which we had 35 guys (or something like that) with over a 3.0 GPA is that report is only half the story. You can take every intro course in the place and keep getting good grades without declaring a major and moving toward graduation. Graduation rate is a key and I think the early results show Kill is going to help kids over that hurdle. We haven't seen his five-year cycle yet, but I think it's obvious he is getting kids to class, having them earn better grades, and move them toward graduation.

Was Engel a Brewster guy? I can't remember.

Anyway, one of the pieces missing in the academic report in which we had 35 guys (or something like that) with over a 3.0 GPA is that report is only half the story. You can take every intro course in the place and keep getting good grades without declaring a major and moving toward graduation. Graduation rate is a key and I think the early results show Kill is going to help kids over that hurdle. We haven't seen his five-year cycle yet, but I think it's obvious he is getting kids to class, having them earn better grades, and move them toward graduation.

I couldn't remember if Engel was a Brew guy or not either. I am pretty sure he came from Winona State before here, I believe? Anyway, I certainly agree with you that the graduation rate is the key metric.

He was at Winona State. I remember that much.

Brewster never made kids go to class. Kill has. Just look at Hageman. A Brewster recruit who was about to fail out when Kill got here. Now he graduated? Just because a guy was a Brewster recruit, doesn't mean Brewster gets credit for the kid graduating.

Brewster never made kids go to class. Kill has. Just look at Hageman. A Brewster recruit who was about to fail out when Kill got here. Now he graduated? Just because a guy was a Brewster recruit, doesn't mean Brewster gets credit for the kid graduating.

It is possible that this is an exaggeration.

Are you kidding me. A few are graduating this year and others have before - but what about all the recruits that didn't make it to campus and/or left before graduating. You are taking one data point (2014 graduates) and extrapolating to the entire Brewster era? Wow. Also, how many years has Kill been here and how many years do most kids take to graduate? Think about it.

Actually most if not all of the Grad School players were Brewster recruits. I just didn't mention their names. They are:

Alipate
Filkins
Henry
Hill
Keise
Mottla
Ngekia
E. Olson
Orseske

Those ten players earned their degrees last year.

Actually most if not all of the Grad School players were Brewster recruits. I just didn't mention their names. They are:

Alipate
Filkins
Henry
Hill
Keise
Mottla
Ngekia
E. Olson
Orseske

Those ten players earned their degrees last year.

Excellent, thanks for adding! :)

I should site my source for the grad students. It is from the weekly football notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gophers had 18 seniors on the roster. Nine were in grad school and Hageman & Vereen graduated in December. Before even reaching spring semester, the graduation rate is 61.1%

The ones left are:

Baltazar
Engel
Gillum
Hawthorne
Roland Johnson
Manual
Shabazz

Did any of these also graduate in December?

They all appear to be registered for spring semester (per UMN people search) except Chris Hawthorne who is now interning in Athletics. So, I'm guessing Chris graduated in December and the rest will finish this spring or summer. Should be a great grad rate this year.

Top Bottom