2013 Minutes

sunnyday2

Reaction score
I suppose it's premature to be thinking too much about next year. But with the talk about Trevor coming back and other possible personnel moves...

The big question is whether you start Eliason, Mbakwe and Rodney, or whether you start Mbakwe and Rodney and 3 guards. My personal opinion is you start Mbakwe, Rodney and 3 guards, and you go big when you can/must.

Then, with Mbakwe back and Eliason and Ingram reasonably productive, I figure Buggs redshirts. And with 6 guys ready to go at 3 guard spots, I figure Ellenson redshirts.

So here is a distribution based on that.

C- Mbakwe 20 Eliason 15 Ingram 5
PF- Rodney 25 Mbakwe 10 Oto 5
PG- Welch 25 Austin 10 Mav 5
2G/F- Andre 28 Chip 7 Rodney 5
3G- Austin 15 Coleman 18 Chip 7

Add up all the numbers and Trevor is assigned 30 minutes, Rodney 30, Andre 28, Welch and Austin 25. The one guy whose minutes decline most dramatically is Mav from 14 to 5, and Oto goes from 11 to 5, Ingram from 8 to 5. Rodney drops from 32 to 30. Coleman and Armelin stay right where they are. The big gainer is Andre from 20 to 28, Austin actually drops from 28 to 25.

I suppose it's premature to be thinking too much about next year. But with the talk about Trevor coming back and other possible personnel moves...

The big question is whether you start Eliason, Mbakwe and Rodney, or whether you start Mbakwe and Rodney and 3 guards. My personal opinion is you start Mbakwe, Rodney and 3 guards, and you go big when you can/must.

Then, with Mbakwe back and Eliason and Ingram reasonably productive, I figure Buggs redshirts. And with 6 guys ready to go at 3 guard spots, I figure Ellenson redshirts.

So here is a distribution based on that.

C- Mbakwe 20 Eliason 15 Ingram 5
PF- Rodney 25 Mbakwe 10 Oto 5
PG- Welch 25 Austin 10 Mav 5
2G/F- Andre 28 Chip 7 Rodney 5
3G- Austin 15 Coleman 18 Chip 7

Add up all the numbers and Trevor is assigned 30 minutes, Rodney 30, Andre 28, Welch and Austin 25. The one guy whose minutes decline most dramatically is Mav from 14 to 5, and Oto goes from 11 to 5, Ingram from 8 to 5. Rodney drops from 32 to 30. Coleman and Armelin stay right where they are. The big gainer is Andre from 20 to 28, Austin actually drops from 28 to 25.

Annnnd you forgot Mo Walker....

And why would we move Welch into the dominant PG spot when Andre has been playing his best basketball to date at the 1? Not to mention you have Austin playing point 10 minutes a game... Not going to happen.

The more I read this, the less it makes sense.

Annnnd you forgot Mo Walker....
And why would we move Welch into the dominant PG spot when Andre has been playing his best basketball to date at the 1? Not to mention you have Austin playing point 10 minutes a game...

Sunny had a terrible post.

I might being going out on a limb, but I think Andre stays at pg.:rolleyes:

The clouds have obviously blocked sunnyday's sun with a very, very heavy haze.

If Mbwake comes back minutes are going to be at a premium for some people. In a three guard setup Oseniak's minutes could get squeezed, in a two guard setup coleman could see fewer minutes.

Where do the new recruits get their minutes, are they red shirted.

sunny, I've been thinking about the same thing. Andre will be our PG and that will not change. The Beast will have a little over 10 months of rehab by the time the season starts. I can't see him moving to a new position, but instead staying at PF his NBA postion. Rodney moves to SF, his NBA position. Bobby Knight, Costa Rican Gopher, and I all see EE as an NBA player someday. I say we go big.

Can't wait to have Tubby roll the balls out there and see what happens next season.

Go Gophers!

pg - Andre Hollins
sg - Coleman or Austin Hollins
sf - Williams
pf - Mbakwe
c - Elliason or Walker

Although Austin Hollins is a better all-around player than Coleman, if he started the game on the bench he would be able to come in at either the 2 or the 3, and would provide a great spark off the bench. Welch can play either the 1 or the 2 coming off the bench, and Otto can play the 3 or the 4. Elliason and Walker both share time playing the 5. Rodney can also play the 4 when needed. Unless Chip, Mav, or Ingram show significant improvement over the offseason, I believe going with a 9 man rotation would be much better for this team next year.

I'm hoping we redshirt both Wally and Buggs. I think they could both be really solid contributors as redshirt freshman.

I see a rotation of 9 guys:

PG - Andre Hollins, Julian Welch
SG - Austin Hollins, Joe Coleman
SF - Rodney Williams, Oto Osenieks
PF - Trevor Mbakwe
C - Elliot Eliason, Mo Walker

Reserves (minimum playing time): Ingram, Chip, Mav, Halvorsen, Shell

Redshirts: Wally and Buggs

I'd be in favor of starting Trevor at the 5 and Rodney at the 4 but the more I think about it, the less likely I think that happens. When we go small, I think we'll see some Trevor and Rodney at the 5 and 4 respectively, but not in the starting lineup.

I'm hoping we redshirt both Wally and Buggs. I think they could both be really solid contributors as redshirt freshman.

PF - Trevor Mbakwe

Agree. I think you start with a sterotypical center, than experiment with the smaller lineup throughout games in your early schedule (especially to see what Walker can really give you, we don't know). I think this has the opportunity for Tubbys massive substitutions to be the right thing to do early on to find the right mix of people.

What's weird about next year's team is that it is experienced, yet there are so many question marks because of the multitude of possibilities of people playing together.

I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but I think because we have solid people at every position, we can fight for a big 10 title.

8 guys need to play most of the minutes
Trevor
EE
Rodney
Austin
Coleman
Welch
Dre

Everyone else can get in where they fit in. Trevor, Rodney and Dre need to play 28-33 minutes per game. Dre and Williams are the only guys that can break down a D and Welch with his old man game can occassionally create a shot for himself. EE and Mo can be the backups at the 4-5 playing about 10 mns per game normally but obviously more with foul trouble or if we need to go big with Rodney at the 3. Dre should play the bulk of the pg mns with Welch as a solid backup and also playing spot mns at the 2. Austin should play most of the 2 mns but sometimes sliding to the 3. Coleman should get decent minutes at the 2-3 depending on the game and matchups and Oto needs to prove he can consistently help the team in his 8-10 mns per game before getting serious minutes as a Jr. Mav, Ingram and Chip likely won't play much which is fine as none of them are really B10 players anyway. Chip can help at times but he's too wild to be counted on for much. If Tubby resists the urge to play everyone we should be a good team. There's a reason why some top 10 teams who certainly have more talent than we do only go 7-9 deep. They play their best players. A guy may be good enough to contribute but is it more important to get every capable player minutes or to get your best players enough minutes to be comfortable and in a rhythm?

Andre is shorter and stouter, austin is the skinny one. That should help the thread starter sort out his minutes.

Here's what I'd like to see:

C: Mbakwe 10, EE 15, Big Mo 15
PF: Williams 20, Mbakwe 20
SF: Austin Hollins 25, Williams 10, Oto 5
SG: Coleman 20, Welch 15, Armelin 5
PG: Andre Hollins 30, Welch 10

Here's what I'd like to see:

C: Mbakwe 10, EE 15, Big Mo 15
PF: Williams 20, Mbakwe 20
SF: Austin Hollins 25, Williams 10, Oto 5
SG: Coleman 20, Welch 15, Armelin 5
PG: Andre Hollins 30, Welch 10

That distribution looks pretty good to me.

PF - Trevor Mbakwe

Reserves (minimum playing time): Ingram, Chip, Mav, Halvorsen, Shell

Redshirts: Wally and Buggs

I'd be in favor of starting Trevor at the 5 and Rodney at the 4 but the more I think about it, the less likely I think that happens. When we go small, I think we'll see some Trevor and Rodney at the 5 and 4 respectively, but not in the starting lineup.

+1

That distribution looks pretty good to me.

I agree but too idealistict? I still stay we go big. Have we ever had two better offensive rebounders than the Beast and EE? Have we ever had a better freshman defensive and rebounding center than EE who didn't play in the NBA?

Top Bottom