2012-2013 WRs

gophers141

Reaction score
Will we be worse off next year for WRs without McKnight? Before yesterday McKnight had 700+ receiving yards and the next closest was Collin with 100. Harbison will be a big a lift to this area but we can't expect him to carry the load as a freshman.

WR's are one of many huge question marks. We have a lot of bodies/depth, but who knows if we have a #1 WR. Green looked pretty good in the 2nd half of the season. Jones and Moulton flashed but had some drops. DCT looked good at times. Keise- I liked coming in but has been quiet. Not many proven commodities, so hopefully someone steps up over the offseason into spring and fall ball.

I don't think we'll know until the spring game what we have at WR. Green looks good and I think Jones will be in the slot. G. Harris had problems learning the offense maybe he'll work out. DCT looked good at times, considering that he's a true freshman, maybe having a spring practice will help him make that final step. Coach Kill said that there are a couple of red shirts that will help. This is where we'll find out how much ability the coaches have as they "coach them up"

I have beat this drum in a few other threads as well but the two biggest concerns I have for next season are the WR and Safety positions. I haven't seen enough out of DCT and Jones to consider them as legit weapons for the future and at this point I think we have probably already seen the ceiling for what Brandon Green is going to become in his college career. Someone is going to have to step up during the spring and next fall. We don't need a superstar necessarily but we do need a guy that Gray can count on to make the catch in key situations. This year that guy was McKnight and their is no heir apparent at this point. Moulton showed a little promise early in the year but over the second half of the season all he really seemed good at was dropping passes.

I hope someone steps up because in order for Gray to be successful he needs weapons around him. If the passing game is not a factor then teams will just key on the running game and make things really tough on Gray.

If McKnight was the guy we counted on, it's no wonder we only won 3 games.

If McKnight was the guy we counted on, it's no wonder we only won 3 games.

Wha? McKnight has some big-time ability and suffered more than any player on the offense from the change in system and personnel. I didn't like the pouting, but McKnight wasn't the problem for this team.

Wha? McKnight has some big-time ability and suffered more than any player on the offense from the change in system and personnel. I didn't like the pouting, but McKnight wasn't the problem for this team.

Exactly...and I don't think his knee was ever fully 100%...watch the long TD against MSU...looked like he was running in mud. McKnight was not the issue

Back to the subject at hand, I like Brandon Green. Kid has a fair amount of football ability if he's healthy. Moulton and Jones (Jones, if recovered) are good slot guys.

I'll be very interested to see how Crawford-Tufts develop. Ton of speed and I think Limegrover will try to find ways to use that within the framework of the offense more consistently. He can certainly stretch the field.

Ge'Shun Harris played some and he might be another guy who can fit into the scheme.

Of the kids coming in, my guess is Freuchte (is he on campus for spring ball?) may be most prepared to contribute, but I wouldn't count out Harbison logging minutes as well.

Really curious about TE position. Rabe obviously jumps to the head of the list, but he's been playing more H-back than TE. Paging Will Johnson. Please pick up the courtesy phone. Maxx Williams will also get minutes in all probability.

Am I missing something on Brandon Green? Does he have another year of eligibility? I thought he was a senior this year.

I don't think we can expect or even hope for a playmaker as good as McKnight. While McKnight was inconsistant this year, he was still our most explosive player on offense.

However, I think our receiving corp, as a whole, will be solid.
Green is consistant.
I have to assume DCT, Moulton and Harris will improve a bit with experience.
Jones, if healthy should be a big part of our offense.
Fruechte will be here in January, and he is a big/fast kid.
Engel will likely give us some more depth as well.

Interesting thought just occurred to me. I can't think of the last time we went into and off season where we have no clue:

1. Who will be the top receiver
2. Who will be the top running back
3. Who will be the top Tight End
4. Which 5 guys will make up the offensive line

Yet in spite of all of that I am cautiously optimistic that the offense will take a step forward next season. Strange to feel that way when the only real sure thing right now is who will be the starting QB.

Top Bottom