2011 Coaching Staff

thecoachingtree

Reaction score
Jerry Kill has had very loyal assistants. 7 of his 9 assistant in 2010 have been with him at least 10 years. I'm guessing most of them will follow him once again. How do you feel about this. I have put together a list of a few other names that might have a chance if Kill doesn't bring everyone with him from NIU.

2011 Minnesota Coaching Staff Candidates

I would love to see Kill bring as many of his NIU assistants with him as possible. I love the loyalty he has shown them in bringing many of them along to every one of his stops. Continuity was one thing sorely lacking with Brewster.

Good job on the possible candidates. Maybe someone from the Miami staff when their bowl game is done could be a handy recruiter in South Florida. Otherwise I agree all of his NIU assistants and at least 1 Gopher assistant.

I love the continuity and loyalty of the staff. This should be a welcome change for us starting NEXT year of course. I love hearing how the staff is good at game preparation and game adjustments as I gave Brewster very poor grades in both for the most part. Watching NIU find the Gophers weaknesses, exploit them and beat the hell out of them on the ground this year should tell everyone all they need to know on that one.

HOWEVER --- I AM concerned about the recruiting ability of this staff. Will they be able to go down to Florida, Chicago, etc. and compete with the big boys and land good players? I think recruiting has got to be my number one question here. I DID like how Brewster emphasized recruiting and wanted his entire staff to be good at it. I think Coach Kill will need someone who can come in and be a rock star recruiter -- this is very important. If he can find a guy like Tim Brewster who lives and loves recruiting, that would make an awesome recruiting coordinator!

If you all recall, in his press conference, coach Kill mentioned knowing of MG when he was in hs. People are assuming that his coaches can't, or would be overmatched in the recruiting game, but I don't see it that way. Have to look at them like salesmen. I'm sure they know who the good kids are out there, but they targeted the kids that they felt they could sell on NIU. Now they have a B10 program, with a shiny new stadium to sell to the kids, so I think they can amp it up if you will. Let's not judge till he has a full yr to recruit.
And he seems to have the vision to recognize if he needs someone better then anyone he has to be his ace recruiter, to go and find that person.

One also has to realize that these coaches have very much the same contacts as most BIG 10 schools do. The only difference is when a NIU coach walks into a school and a Minnesota coach walks into the same school more than likely recruit "A+" will be a easier sell to the BIG 10/Minnesota than the MAC/NIU that is likely having to look at recruit "B+". Again those coaches know recruit "A+", but just can't recruit him that easily.

Very cool first post. I am willing to let Jerry Kill do whatever he wants. I do hope Claeys and Limegrover come along and it looks like they are going to

Edit: misspelled Claeys. I knew that looked wrong.

Top Bottom