2010 Rough Look

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Here is a look at this years standings and what the teams lose going into next year. If Brewster makes it to next year, what would need to happen to keep his job for 2011 and beyond.

OSU Off. 2 Def. 5
Iowa Off. 4 Def. 2
PSU Off. 7 Def. 7
Wis Off. 2 Def. 5
NW Off. 2 Def. 5
MSU Off. 5 Def. 5
Pur Off. 5 Def. 6
MN Off. 2 Def. 9
Ill. Off. 5 Def. 5
MI Off. 5 Def. 4
IN Off. 3 Def. 6

Can't see us beating OSU, Iowa, USC, or Wis. next year. OSU and USC are OSU and USC. Iowa loses basically two on the OL. They always have good TE's and the D will be great again. Wisconsin returns the Player of the year and the entire OL.

That gets us to 8-4 at best. That isn't going to happen. So we are looking at 5-7 to 7-5 again and maybe we bring the Victory Bell home.

I agree with what youre getting at. But I would be careful about predicting losses to wisky or Iowa: those games aren't predictable. In those games it is never about who should win, but who actually brings it on gameday. We really shouldn't have played the Iowa game that close, and by most people's accounts we were much more in the game than people predicted.... that is the rivalry effect. OSU and USC are near-definite L's though.

Here is a look at this years standings and what the teams lose going into next year. If Brewster makes it to next year, what would need to happen to keep his job for 2011 and beyond.

OSU Off. 2 Def. 5
Iowa Off. 4 Def. 2
PSU Off. 7 Def. 7
Wis Off. 2 Def. 5
NW Off. 2 Def. 5
MSU Off. 5 Def. 5
Pur Off. 5 Def. 6
MN Off. 2 Def. 9
Ill. Off. 5 Def. 5
MI Off. 5 Def. 4
IN Off. 3 Def. 6

Can't see us beating OSU, Iowa, USC, or Wis. next year. OSU and USC are OSU and USC. Iowa loses basically two on the OL. They always have good TE's and the D will be great again. Wisconsin returns the Player of the year and the entire OL.

That gets us to 8-4 at best. That isn't going to happen. So we are looking at 5-7 to 7-5 again and maybe we bring the Victory Bell home.

brutal schedule next year

my criteria is going to be what i see from the 9 guys on defense and some of these young freshmen lineman who are supposed to take over for some of the older guys

if we lose to USC by 7 or play with OSU, thats one thing....but to get bombed by them is another story

we will have youth all over the place next year......i want to see if it has any potential

I don't care how tough the schedule is. If this program is ever going to move up, they need to start changing an "automatic loss" into a win now and then.

OSU Off. 2 Def. 5
Iowa Off. 4 Def. 2
PSU Off. 7 Def. 7
Wis Off. 2 Def. 5
NW Off. 2 Def. 5
MSU Off. 5 Def. 5
Pur Off. 5 Def. 6
MN Off. 2 Def. 9
Ill. Off. 5 Def. 5
MI Off. 5 Def. 4
IN Off. 3 Def. 6

I think you are right on as far as next year. How it comes about is as important as the record. If they can compete with those teams next year that means there has been a drastic improvement. If they get killed and fold as the season progresses then Brewsters future will be sealed.

But I would be careful about predicting losses to wisky or Iowa: those games aren't predictable.

You're saying that 10-20 vs Iowa and Wisconsin since 1980 and 5-15 vs Wisc. and 6-14 vs Iowa since 1990 isn't predictable? That is .333 win% over 30 years.

It always pisses me off when we look over a schedule and identify year to year the "automatic losses". I know we aren't OSU, PSU, or USC but I guarantee you their fans don't sit down every year and say "well, we're going to lose that game". Once we get our program to that point you'll know that we've arrived so to speak.

It always pisses me off when we look over a schedule and identify year to year the "automatic losses". I know we aren't OSU, PSU, or USC but I guarantee you their fans don't sit down every year and say "well, we're going to lose that game". Once we get our program to that point you'll know that we've arrived so to speak.

That's because there isn't anyone out there who's head-and-shoulders better than any of those teams on opening day. So yes, once we get to the point when we're at the same level as the best teams in the country, there will stop being 'automatic' losses. Genius.

They will likely be favored in only one B10 game (NU at home).

It could be a 3-4 win season at most if the offense doesn't drastically improve.

We are probably looking at 5-7 even with modest improvement next year. We're not in a good scenario. If Brew doesn't warrant an extension now, it's tough to see how that's going to happen next year. At some point the talent gains enough experience to impact, I don't see it until 2011, hopefully it shows earlier.

Wisconsin?

Don't get me wrong the Badgers are decent and Clay is a beast, but remember that despite Minnesota's struggles the last few years the Gophers have had to produce an epic collapse to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in nearly every recent Wisconsin game. If the Gophers hadn't been penalized so frequently in the first half (including that 15 yd phantom chop block penalty on first and goal from the 1) there is little chance Wisconsin would have been able to overcome even a 20-10 halftime lead. Iowa is young and will be very tough next year as well but with the encouraging development of the Defense and STs, if the offense improves at all the Gophers should have a great chance in that game. Ohio State and USC are probably sure losses, but I think the Gophers should have a good shot at winning every other game. I believe the Gophers should be able to win 7-8 games next year with a 4-4 conference record.

We are probably looking at 5-7 even with modest improvement next year. We're not in a good scenario. If Brew doesn't warrant an extension now, it's tough to see how that's going to happen next year. At some point the talent gains enough experience to impact, I don't see it until 2011, hopefully it shows earlier.

This just speaks to the fact that they may as well make the move on Brewster now. Even if 3 of the losses are heart-breakingly close, there's little chance he survives next year with a 5-7 record. Especially since we will probably lose at least 4 home games and both trophy games once again. In fairness 6-6 is probably the high-end no matter who the coach is. But there's virtually no chance he survives with anything less then 7 wins, and I just don't see it. In some ways, Brew brought this on himself. He wanted to schedule tougher for recruiting purposes, etc. and that's admirable. But he needed to have us at a level to have a shot in those games, and we're not.

Top Bottom