2009 Depth Chart?

magpie

Banned
Reaction score
Well, who do you see starting where? Who's the back-up?

Some appear obvious - Gray backing up Weber. Carpenter, Decker, and Green at WR. Most all of the Ju-Co's and transfers should start.

I think the OL could be tough -- keep the guys who played there this year, regardless of size -- or start the freshman who have the size and give them a crash course? How about RB? That could be the most interesting battle for any position.

I'm predicting that if Decker has a good year in baseball, he won't be back. He's going to graduate, his body is getting beat up and if the money is right he'll take it.

I don't think the "new stadium" will have anything to do with his decision.

Anyone who thinks Decker will play baseball is on crack. The money he would make traveling around the minor leagues for 8 years would equal the signing bonus if he were to be a 2nd rd pick next year. Not sure why people think he is going to chose baseball, that would make no financial sense. The round he got drafted in doesn't even get signing bonuses!!! (Maybe 5k as a token amount). And to give up playing in the new stadium next year!! Just no sense.

We will know a lot more after spring practice but this is my best guess.

Offense:
QB: Weber, Gray, Nance
RB: Bennett, Eskridge, Lipscomb, Whaley (would be great as a Mewelde Moore type back on 3rd down), Salamon, Thomas (could be higher)
FB: Hoese, Combs?
WR: Decker, Kuznia, Brandon
WR: Green, Pittman, McKnight
WR: Smith, Carpenter (will start by wk 5), Allen
TE: Tow-Arnett, Lair, Combs (blocking)/Hageman (receiving)
LT: Meinke, Alford
LG: Wynn, Burris, Bunders
C: Davis, Tow-Arnett
RG: Carufel, Tavale
RT: Wills, Stommes

Defense
SDE: Jacobs, Henderson
DT: Small, Edwards
DT: Brown, Moen, Kirkesy
WDE: Onwauchi, McKinley
OLB: Lawrence, Cooper, Reeves
MLB: Campbell, Maresh, Triplett (against spread)
OLB: Triplett (against power), Rallis, Tinsley
CB: Simmons, Collado (dime), McKelton/Johnson
CB: Sherels, Paige (nickel), Stoudermire
SS: Brock, Theret, Watkins (RS?)
FS: Royston, Dandridge, Lewis (RS?)

Redshirts:
Alipate, Campion, Olsen, Michel, Rengel, KGM, Garin, Singleton, Keise?, Lewis?, Watkins?

Assumptions:
Rallis moves from S to OLB, Stoudermire moves back to CB now that we have playmakers at WR.

Paige will compete with Sherels for playing time, the winner of the competition starts and the loser is the nickel back.

Something like this?

EDIT: Removed image, per updated one later in thread

It'll be interesting to see how the offensive line gets shuffled around. Matt Stommes got his first start last night and appeared to do really well toward the beginning of the game, and then as the game progressed, most noticeably in the second half, he seemed to struggle at times. But, nerves and just keeping up with everything could have been a factor. This spring and summer will pay huge dividends for Stommes because he will be able to work with one of the best offensive line coaches in the country. Davis might see Stommes's 2" height advantage on Wynn and Meinke and realize that Stommes could be the leading competitor for a spot at LT. Stommes came into Minnesota under Mason, whose offensive line coach was Gordie Shaw. Shaw predominantly liked smaller offensive lineman that could get upfield. So, Stommes, who switched between offense and defense a couple times, didn't really fit Shaw's mold. A switch to offensive line this late in Stommes's career set him back. Under Brewster, he played some defensive end, and then he was switched to offensive tackle. He has been improving ever since the switch, and he will be able to use his frame to his advantage.

Here's my starting offensive line in '09:
RT: Wills (Watching film of this guy makes one realize the beast he is.)
RG: Carufel
C: Davis
LG: Meinke or Wynn
LT: Wynn or Stommes (I would maybe give the edge to Stommes.)

Just curios why did Carufel transfer again, was it lack of talent, or just not a good fit at ND?

Just curios why did Carufel transfer again, was it lack of talent, or just not a good fit at ND?

I'm not sure, but he left the team after he lost his starting job (which he gained after someone got injured).

so can we count on this kid to be better then what we have right now on the O-Line?

We'll see...

so can we count on this kid to be better then what we have right now on the O-Line?

The buzz coming out of camp earlier this year was that Carufel was our best O-lineman in practice. We'll see how that translates...

I think the offensive line is up in the air with the exception of Carufel. Hageman is the real deal and will start. Bigger, stronger, and faster than Tow Arnett. The team needs a BIG FULLBACK. I like moving Triplett to fullback.

Husker I'm not so sure on the hageman starting thing. I saw him play multiple times this summer in a passing league and he was extremely inconsistent catching the ball. He is an absolute beast and will be a great player down the road but I highly doubt he steps in right away and plays over lair and tow arnett. But I may be totally wrong so take it for what it's worth.

My depth chart for 09 right now would probably look like this.

Qb weber, gray, alipate
Rb Bennett, lipscomb, whaley, eskridge
Fb hoese, triplett
Wr1 decker, pittman, brandon
Wr2 carpenter, smith, mcknight
Wr3 green, kuznia, Allen
Te lair, tow arnett, hageman
Lt meinke, stommes
Lg wynn, burris
C Davis, tow arnett
Rg carufel, tavale
Rt wills, stommes

Rde Jacobs, kirksey
Dt small, searcy
Nt brown, Edwards
Lde McKinley, onwuachi
Lolb Lawrence, reeves
Mlb Campbell, maresh, sharpe
Rolb cooper, tinsley
Cb simmons, carter(please!!!!!!)
Ss Brock, dandridge, watkins
Fs royston, theret, lewis
Cb sherels, collado/Johnson

•I am praying that michael carter comes here cause were going to need him bad in 2 years and probably next year too.
•I also think that playing time at qb will be weber 75% and gray 25%
•I expect cooper to step in from day 1 and be a force although you never know what you're going to get out of freshmen. And I am expecting royston to be an upgrade in the secondary as well.
•With this depth chart next year I see 6 wins and a very solid season. If we get to 6 wins or more next season it will be a success no matter what because with our sked next year I don't see 1 easy game outside of sdsu and maybe Syracuse but personally I think that game is gonna be a lot tougher than people around here expect.

Something like this?

EDIT: forgot about Royston and Jacobs. Also, the OL and LB probably will be shuffled around, just a guess there.

I love that you put your lineup in to a graphic. I like my line up more than yours but if I didn't I would have made your lineup prediction instead of my own. :) A few reasons I like my more though: Campbell does not have the speed to play OLB so I don't see a scenario he is #2 at OLB next year, Cooper has been moved to OLB and the only way he'll move to S is if he can't gain the weight the coaches expect he will put on, Dandridge is a safety and not a CB, Wills is a RT and not a LT (he is 350 lbs and if that didn't say enough Davis told him I want you to be our RT next year), Carufel has practiced at RG all year, Garin will redshirt if he plays DE (but he won't if he plays OLB) and obviously Jacobs and Royston in the depth chart.

My depth chart for 09 right now would probably look like this.

Qb weber, gray, alipate
Rb Bennett, lipscomb, whaley, eskridge
Fb hoese, triplett
Wr1 decker, pittman, brandon
Wr2 carpenter, smith, mcknight
Wr3 green, kuznia, Allen
Te lair, tow arnett, hageman
Lt meinke, stommes
Lg wynn, burris
C Davis, tow arnett
Rg carufel, tavale
Rt wills, stommes

Rde Jacobs, kirksey
Dt small, searcy
Nt brown, Edwards
Lde McKinley, onwuachi
Lolb Lawrence, reeves
Mlb Campbell, maresh, sharpe
Rolb cooper, tinsley
Cb simmons, carter(please!!!!!!)
Ss Brock, dandridge, watkins
Fs royston, theret, lewis
Cb sherels, collado/Johnson

•I am praying that michael carter comes here cause were going to need him bad in 2 years and probably next year too.
•I also think that playing time at qb will be weber 75% and gray 25%
•I expect cooper to step in from day 1 and be a force although you never know what you're going to get out of freshmen. And I am expecting royston to be an upgrade in the secondary as well.
•With this depth chart next year I see 6 wins and a very solid season. If we get to 6 wins or more next season it will be a success no matter what because with our sked next year I don't see 1 easy game outside of sdsu and maybe Syracuse but personally I think that game is gonna be a lot tougher than people around here expect.

I really like your depth chart here. The one I came up with is pretty close to this. couple things that I have different. I have Alford in competition for LT. I think he is injured and he will be given a chance next season. I have man-love for Burris so I think he should be starting at C, but in reality, I know that prolly won't happen. I 'THINK' Kirksey is set in at DT. I think Henderson will be backing up Jacobs. I see Jacobs as more of a LDE than a RDE. I 'HOPE' Sharpe can take the other OLB spot. I believe he has the athleticism and speed to play there. If Paige commits, I would RS Carter. Unless he is an OBVIOUS upgrade over Collado at that point. Rivals has Lewis at CB. We never know how that will all pan out there, but I've got him at CB.

Those are the only differences that I have on mine, but I like yours a lot and could easily see it playing out that way.

I really think this team is going to take another step next season. I think we got a little taste of Pittman which has all of us pretty excited to see his full potential next year. hopefully he can stay healthy.

I'm also going to say we get our first 5 star blue chipper next sesaon ;)

I am not sure I would count on Royston as the savior at safety. He could not beat out some less then stellar safeties for the Badgers. Time will tell.

Here's the consensus update thusfar:

The main reason I posted this thread was to show us where our depth is being created, where Brewster's guys are, and therefore where we'll be hurting next year. Also, looking at the chart, the left OL looks weak -- and unfortunately they protect Weber's blind side. Could see a TE lining up there a lot to help protect him.

Cooper has been moved to OLB and the only way he'll move to S is if he can't gain the weight the coaches expect he will put on, Dandridge is a safety and not a CB, Wills is a RT and not a LT (he is 350 lbs and if that didn't say enough Davis told him I want you to be our RT next year), Carufel has practiced at RG all year
Scout or Rivals had Dandridge at CB, probably from HS play. I know he could do either, but we seemed to be lacking depth so it was a guess -- I changed that. The left/right side positions I didn't account for when I made the image, but I adjusted it for those who care.

I am not sure I would count on Royston as the savior at safety. He could not beat out some less then stellar safeties for the Badgers. Time will tell.
You have seen Theret play though, yes? Too inconsistent -- but that could be a good position battle for next year.

I'd be surprised if Jacobs starts since he hasn't really played that much so I don't have any reason why he would start besides being a former 4 star. I also would be surprised if Hayo starts right away over the incumbents and I think Paige will committ so we can see him going somewhere.

Did Ryan Orton fall off the face of the earth?

Kim beat out all the safeties at Wisconsin according to the Defensive coordinator and Db coach who named him a starter on three separate occasions. Bret overruled them all 3 times and then fired the defensive coordinator.:mad:

Kim beat out all the safeties at Wisconsin according to the Defensive coordinator and Db coach who named him a starter on three separate occasions. Bret overruled them all 3 times and then fired the defensive coordinator.:mad:

I can't wait to see him don the maroon & gold for the Big Ten opener this year...:D I'm guessing Kim will be a little bit more pumped up for that game than any other.

Do we know who actually redshirted this year?

Off the top of my head:
Keanon Cooper - 100% certain
John Nance - He hasn't played, 99.9% certain
DL Wilhite - I'm fairly certain
Terrell Combs - I'm pretty sure
Duane Bennett - Medical

I can't think of any others but that doesn't mean more guys didn't.

Late additions, I should have looked at the '08 commit list:
Kevin Whaley
Ryan Grant

Does anyone know if Bennet will come back 100%? If not I see him disappearing like Jay Thomas did.

Thanks, grunkiejr. I never saw Lair - but that doesn't mean I didn't miss him. I was figuring that at the roster weight of 220 he needed the rs year to get up to 250 to play TE.

Kevin whaley and Ryan grant also redshirted but I'm pretty sure I saw lair out there at one point or another although I don't think he actually had a catch.

Kevin whaley and Ryan grant also redshirted but I'm pretty sure I saw lair out there at one point or another although I don't think he actually had a catch.

yes...he played. his FR season was wasted playing ST without a tackle. now he only has 3 years left.

Does anyone know if Bennet will come back 100%? If not I see him disappearing like Jay Thomas did.

It's not an uncommon injury and it is likely that he will make a full recovery. Thomas has had it happen to each of his knees.

Thanks. I should have just looked at the '08 commit list because I completely forgot those two.

Top Bottom