20 win Tubby continues

16 Straight Years

Coach K next at 14 straight, Jim Boeheim at 12.

Those are the Top 3 streaks of 20+ W.

Congrats Tubby. Now let's add real meaning to the season and get to the dance.

Congratulations to Coach Smith and the Gophers!!!!!! Today was perfect for us for our Big Dance situations: Mich lost, tOSU lost, Wiskey lost, GOPHERS WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to Tubby - that is an incredible accomplishment.

Go Gophers!!

Even in this somewhat diluted era of 20 win seasons thanks to more games, it still is an incredible accomplishment. Congrats Tubby. Here's to celebrating 20 years of 20 wins at the Barn in early February 2013!

>>Now let's add real meaning to the season...<<

Maybe we should add real meaning to 20 wins by scheduling tougher competition than the Concordia, Cornell, and High Points. I'm a Tubby Smith backer, but 20 wins doesn't mean the same thing it did a decade or two ago.

You only need to compare against the other coaches to take that subjectiveness out of it. So how's he rank? Oh yeah, first.

Since one of our 20 came against a DII opponent, does this really count as 20 wins? All the RPI sites have us at 19 wins. Not trying to be negative, I just want to understand what the official tally is?

For Tubby's coaching record, yes, the Concordia game counts as a win. However, in the eyes of the Selection Committee, the game means nothing, hence why they have the Gophers at 19 wins.

Schnoodler,

>>You only need to compare against the other coaches to take that subjectiveness out of it.<<

My post wasn't an attempt to single out Tubby Smith. Twenty wins at any university doesn't mean a whole lot any longer. And it means even less with cupcakes on the schedule. Let's see if we can get to 25. That standard probably means something.

We're talking about a streak. It means a considerable amount. No other current coach has done it. It's important. don't belittle the accomplishment with your crap.

Don't exalt "crap" beyond reality. It indicates a real homer.

I'm not describing Tubby's record as crap. I'm saying that 15 years of 20+ wins is a nice streak, but it implies consistency rather than excellence, especially in this era of expanded schedules and frequent early-season patsies.

Don't exalt crap beyond reality. It indicates a real homer.

Well, forgive us "homers" for celebrating a little bit regarding a streak of 20-win seasons. There's no shame in celebrating it. In fact, us "homers" should appreciate a streak like that. You know, given that our program has never "officially" had even TWO 20-win seasons in a row until Tubby showed up.

I don't care if you want to call it homerism or not, a streak of 16 straight 20-win seasons covering four different institutions is impressive. The fact that NO ONE else currently has a streak like that should tell you that. Coach K? Nope. Roy Williams? Nope. Jim Calhoun? Tom Izzo? Nope. Jim Boeheim? Nope. Tubby? Yep. All of those guys have national titles, too. But, only one has 16 straight 20-win seasons.

You're absolutely correct.

P.S.
Coach K's longest streak of 25+ wins was nine years. Boeheim's was six years. Tubby's was three.

And no need to make even more of it than it deserves.

He's a great coach. Let's watch the 25-win seasons roll in once he's had another year or two to recruit.

And no need to make even more of it than it deserves.

Yeah, one thread on a message board is really overboard. One graphic on the BTN was way over the top. How could they blow it out of proportion like that?

The streak is interesting trivia. That's all. And that's been my point all along. I'm not the one using exclamation points.

The streak is interesting trivia. That's all.

Well, you can think that, but I disagree. It is more than simple trivia. It is an accomplishment that is worthy of note, if for no other reason that it is a testament to Tubby's consistency in winning. No other current coach has a streak like it. And, only TWO coaches EVER have had longer streaks in their careers (Dean Smith, Lute Olson). So, no, I think it is a bit more than simple trivia.

I mean if 20-wins is so easy and as insignificant as you claim, then where are all the other coaches on the list?

And, no one is proclaiming because of this that Tubby is the greatest coach of all time. We're just taking a second to recognize an achievement. Again, no shame in that at all.

If you want to dwell on the insignificance of it, so be it. Don't try to pull us under your dark cloud with you.

Well said TJ. And don't bother responding to G4. After a couple of posts he paints himself deep enough in a corner you get diminishing returns for continuing, plus he never stops. The thread is there for all to read and judge for themselves.

When Tubby was coaching UK, their fans referred to him as "10-Loss Tubby". I think it speaks well of Tubby and us as the fan base to call him "20-Win Tubby". Nice!

When Tubby was coaching UK, their fans referred to him as "10-Loss Tubby". I think it speaks well of Tubby and us as the fan base to call him "20-Win Tubby". Nice!

I never cared for that nonsense personally but it does illustrate the difference between two programs and how we view success.

I never cared for that nonsense personally but it does illustrate the difference between two programs and how we view success.

Tubby averaged 8 L at UK. Just like Joe Hall did there. Eddie Sutton averaged 10 L.

Billy Gillispie averages 11 L per season in his career.

Tubby averaged 26-8 (76%) at UK. Kentucky averages 76% all-time.

Tubby was 23-9 (72%) in NCAA games. Kentucky averages 69% all-time.

Tubby won 1 NCAA title in 10 years. UK has won 7 NCAA in the 70 years of the tournament.

Tubby won 5 SEC titles and 5 SECT championships in 10 years.

UK averages 1 SEC title and 1 SECT championship every 2 years.

Schnoodler,

I think I've made it abundantly clear that I think Tubby is an excellent coach. I just don't share the belief that 20 wins indicates mush more than an above average program these days, especially when over half of the wins come against weaker non-conference opponents. I'll get all hot and bothered with the rest of you when we consistently reach 25 wins.

tjgopher,

>>I mean if 20-wins is so easy and as insignificant as you claim...<<

I don't think I've called 20 wins either easy or insignificant. Celebrate it all you want.

Top Bottom