20 teams go bowling & to the Tournament

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
The Gophers are one of only 20 teams to go to a football bowl game and to the NCAA basketball tournament. If you add the 2009 NCAA baseball tournament, we are one of 9 teams to go to all 3.

I know a lot of people like to rip on Maturi, but I feel like we have a very good all-around athletic department. Now if we could only excell in football or basketball - or both!

Go Gophers!

Edit: Upon further review, there were only 11 teams to go to both a bowl and the tournament for the past 2 consecutive years and our Gophers were one of those. Cheers.

How many teams also have a nation power house in dancing? :).

I think the expectations people have may be out of whack for the gopher program. I don't think people realize what a huge blow the basketball academic scandal was to the entire athletics program. Mason was just starting to get the football program back on track when it happened. If we make a bowl next year and the tournament again, I will be very happy. I would love nothing more than a great leap forward (i.e. Rose Bowl,Final Four), but solid, consist success (i.e. bowl,tourney) every year will keep butts in seats and recruits in our sights. If Brew survives this season, I have a feeling 2011-2012 could be a great season for both football and basketball.

Edit: Upon further review, there were only 11 teams to go to both a bowl and the tournament for the past 2 consecutive years and our Gophers were one of those. Cheers.

Wicsonsin trails only Texas with eight in a row. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Of the 9 schools how many were from the Bigten?

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Ohio State

That's pretty impressive, to have almost half from one conference. So much for the "bigten sucks" arguement.

GO GOPHERS!

Sweet - we have the 50th best FB team and the 40th best BB team.

If we get to the sweet 16 and the Outback bowl, then that is saying something.

Nonetheless, you gotta start somewhere...

I'll just say it before any wiskydick gets the pleasure of saying it....

"Did your hockey team make it to the tournament this year? Last year?"

Haha, we get it, we suck. Our Minnesota-grown hockey players are worse than your Minnesota-grown hockey players.

Now jog on, bucky!

forever_fuzz_still.gif

No, Wicsonsin did not go to the baseball tournament. Neither did Wisconsin.

They do not have a baseball team.

380246536_d7ef4007cc.jpg

Well, it seems that GVBadger and badgergopher almost understood the point. Emphasis should be placed on the "almost" part of that equation however.

Well, it seems that GVBadger and badgergopher almost understood the point. Emphasis should be placed on the "almost" part of that equation however.

The Gophers have a nice B10 baseball team an a richer baseball history than UW. However I'd contend that if you don't get to Rosenblatt it doesn't much matter and it has been a long time since the U played in Omaha. That said, I pull for the Gophers to break this hex soon and I wish college baseball wasn't turning into such a regional sport. This year would be a great year to do it as it is he last chance to play in the old stadium.

The Gophers have a nice B10 baseball team an a richer baseball history than UW. However I'd contend that if you don't get to Rosenblatt it doesn't much matter and it has been a long time since the U played in Omaha. That said, I pull for the Gophers to break this hex soon and I wish college baseball wasn't turning into such a regional sport. This year would be a great year to do it as it is he last chance to play in the old stadium.

I can understand your point. And even comparing the U's baseball history with the UW's is complete folly for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, Wisconsin hasn't had a baseball program since the late 1980s, so that's more than 20 years of no history at all for the Badgers. And even when they did have a team, it wasn't very good. In fact, the Gophers have more national championships (3) than the Badgers have NCAA Tournament appearances (1). That being said, the U has had one of the conference's best baseball programs for decades.

Like you, I would like to think the Gophers will have a chance to make it to Omaha sometime in the future. You're are completely correct that is has been a long time since that happened. Last year's team was pretty good, going 40-19 and losing to the eventual national champion in the regional final. But with the way things are structured, having a northern team make it to Omaha less and less likely each year, which is why we were all pretty happy with the team's showing last season.

Bowling, BB Tour + Hockey

Lots of ways to look at this, but very small number of schools placed teams in all three of these NCAA events this past year.

Or what about:

teams that won a bowl game, won a game in the BB tournament, and won a game in the Hockey tournament? Let's see now, what school is in postion to pull this off? Check back in about five days.

But if you throw hockey into the mix, you have to understand that the number of basketball programs and football programs is massive compared to the number of hockey programs in the country. There are what, 40 schools that play d1 hockey? Not knocking you, badgerbob, just saying that its a small sample size to deal with.

When I started this thread, it wasn't meant to start a pissing contest between us and anyone else. The point was to say that overall, in the two biggest revenue sports, we are fairly competeive.

It seems that our "friends" to the east want to turn this into a comparrison of college athletics between us and them. If that's the case, there is a simple way (that was established by both institutions) to judge that:

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=39778&SPID=3310&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=1582564

The Border Battle 2009/2010:

Minnesota: 390 points
Wisconsin: 170 points

Sweet - we have the 50th best FB team and the 40th best BB team.

If we get to the sweet 16 and the Outback bowl, then that is saying something.

Nonetheless, you gotta start somewhere...

Okay man, some people have been pretty vicious with your split loyalties but I haven't ever posted anything about it. But your rhetoric the last few days makes me think your loyalties are more 80% Wisconsin and 20% Minnesota. If that's true, find a different board. If it's not, then knock this kind of SH%T off.

Top Bottom