1st Team All-B1G. ... Who ya' got?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
My 1st Team All-B1G with one week to go, + 2.

Miles Bridges (MSU)
Ethan Happ (Wis)
Nate Mason (Minn)
Caleb Swanigan (Pur)
Derrick Walton (Mich)

Next 2: Peter Jok (Iowa), Bryant McIntosh (NW)

Caleb Swanigan (POY) (Pur)
Nate Mason (Minn)
Ethan Happ (Wis)
Miles Bridges (MSU)
Melo Trimble (UMD)

Jok just misses despite being leading scorer.

That's exactly what I have. There isn't a guard in the conference I would take over Mason. Walton is a close second. I'll expand it to my 2nd and 3rd teams and other awards as well.

2nd Team
Peter Jok
Melo Trimble
Malcolm Hill
Tai Webster
Bryant McIntosh

3rd Team
Scotty Lindsey
Moritz Wagner
Jordan Murphy
Nick Ward
JBJr

All-Freshman Team
Miles Bridges- FotY
Amir Coffey
Nick Ward
Tony Carr
Justin Jackson

All-Defensive Team
Ethan Happ- DPotY
Reggie Lynch
Dakota Mathias
Glynn Watson
Mike Watkins

6th Man
Isaac Haas

Coach of the Year
Richard Pitino

Caleb Swanigan (POY) (Pur)
Nate Mason (Minn)
Ethan Happ (Wis)
Miles Bridges (MSU)
Melo Trimble (UMD)

Jok just misses despite being leading scorer.

This is probably the way I would lean right now, toss up between Bridges and Jok. Walton right in the mix with Trimble and Mason

Caleb Swanigan (Pur)
Nate Mason (Minn)
Ethan Happ (Wis)
Peter Jok (Iowa)
Melo Trimble (UMD)

Close to what Otis has but I'll take Jok over Bridges.

I think Lynch will likely make 2nd team. If he's DPOY I'd assume he should be on the All Conference team unless D doesn't matter in the B1G anymore to voters. Also while I think Mason has been worthy of 1st team status, I doubt he'll get it. Jok is the leading scorer and Trimble is the leader for a Maryland team I'm guessing most will see as better despite the recent win.

Melo is a really good player, but he's at the very best 8th on my list. Had too many moments where he disappeared to be a 1st-teamer, IMO. I would have no problem with Jok getting 1st team over Mason, understandable, but no way should Melo get it before Mason.

1st Team
Trimble
Jok
Hill
Swanigan (POY)
Happ

2nd Team
Webster
Walton
Mason
Bridges
Murphy
3rd Team
McIntosh
Koening
Lindsey
Edwards
Wagner

Freshman Team
Tony Carr
Amir Coffey
Miles Bridges (Frosh of the Year)
Justin Jackson
Nick Ward

Defensive Team
Happ (DPoy)
Lynch
Swanigan
Glynn Watson
Mathias
Coach of the Year
Pitino
6th man of the year
Haas

I think Lynch will likely make 2nd team. If he's DPOY I'd assume he should be on the All Conference team unless D doesn't matter in the B1G anymore to voters. Also while I think Mason has been worthy of 1st team status, I doubt he'll get it. Jok is the leading scorer and Trimble is the leader for a Maryland team I'm guessing most will see as better despite the recent win.

Hes averaging like 7.9 points and 6 rebounds per game in the Big Ten. He's been great on the defensive end when he's on the court, but I don't think there is any chance at all Lynch makes an All Big Ten team... defensive team, and possibly Honorable mention

Melo is a really good player, but he's at the very best 8th on my list. Had too many moments where he disappeared to be a 1st-teamer, IMO. I would have no problem with Jok getting 1st team over Mason, understandable, but no way should Melo get it before Mason.

I think Melo and Mason should be there, but to argue your point, what about all the games Mason disappeared in? Specifically during the 5 game losing streak?

Caleb Swanigan (POY)
Ethan Happ
Peter Jok
Derrick Walton
Nate Mason

I just can't put Melo ahead of either Walton or Mason. He is a great player, but I just can't do it based on how those two have played and what they mean to their teams.

I agree Melo shouldn't be a slam dunk, I think its a near toss up with him, Mason and Walton, probably even lean towards the latter two. But with his name recognition, I would be very surprised if he's the one left off the 1st team.

1st Team:

Caleb Swanigan Purdue (POY)
Ethan Happ Wisconsin
Nate Mason Minnesota
Melo Trimble Maryland
Derrick Walton Jr. Michigan

2nd Team:
Peter Jok Iowa
Malcolm Hill Illinois
Miles Bridges Michigan St. (FOY)
Tai Webster Nebraska
Scottie Lindsey Northwestern

Freshman:
Miles Bridges Michigan St.
Nick Ward Michigan St.
Amir Coffey Minnesota
Justin Jackson Maryland
Tony Carr Penn St.

Hes averaging like 7.9 points and 6 rebounds per game in the Big Ten. He's been great on the defensive end when he's on the court, but I don't think there is any chance at all Lynch makes an All Big Ten team... defensive team, and possibly Honorable mention

I should clarify that I meant 1 of those teams. I just find it hard to believe that a DPOY can't make 2nd or 3rd team all conference. He's tied for 11th in rebounding and a full 20 blocks ahead of the next guy.

Caleb Swanigan
Ethan Happ
Miles Bridges
Melo Trimble (beats out Nate Mason)
Derrick Walton Jr.

Caleb Swaningan-Purdue-POY
Ethan Happ-Wisconsin
Miles Bridges-Michigan St
Derrick Walton Jr-Michigan
Nate Mason-Minnesota

Caleb Swanigan
Ethan Happ
Miles Bridges
Melo Trimble (beats out Nate Mason)
Derrick Walton Jr.

This is how I think it will end up. But it should be Mason over Trimble in my opinion.

Mason is a better player than Trimble in my eyes, but Trimble is likely to receive the 1st team nod simply due to name recognition and reputation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mason is a better player than Trimble in my eyes, but Trimble is likely to receive the 1st team nod simply due to name recognition and reputation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, exactly. Also, Jok is first team, for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After taking a closer look at some of the advanced stats for these guys like PER and Box +/- it really should be:

Happ
Swanigan
Bridges
Jok
Walton

Mason and Trimble would be pretty much a toss up for the 6th spot.

Has there ever been a Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year (who played in every game) that has missed being on any of the first three All-Big Ten teams at the end of the year?

Is Nigel Hayes is about to?

Will his name recognition will get him on one of the teams?

Has there ever been a Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year (who played in every game) that has missed being on any of the first three All-Big Ten teams at the end of the year?

I've been wondering this the last few weeks.

Happ
Swanigan
Bridges
Jok
Mason

I put Jok in for his body of work and he is the best shooter in the league, missed a few games but deserves it.
Mason is in because head to head he beat Walton and Trimble and he plays for my favorite team.

I think Hayes will at least make the third team, but could make the second team. He has still be the second best player on what could be the second best B1G team.

I think Mason has to have a couple more phenomenal games to have a legit chance at 1st team. I agree with most here and believe he is deserving of it right now, but Jok and Trimble, and to a lesser extent Walton, have the name recognition over him, and as we all know, lists like this unfortunately turn info a popularity contest all too often.

I'd be surprised if Mason was a 1st team B1G player. He has been sensational at times though.

I'll go...
Swanigan (PotY)
Happ (yuck)
Jok (yuck)
Walton
Bridges

Top Bottom