1500: Is Kevin Sumlin a Gophers coaching candidate? MN Board Chairman drops his name

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per 1500:

The Chair of the Board of Regents, Dean Johnson, mentioned Sumlin by name in an interview with Mackey & Judd on 1500ESPN on Wednesday morning, the day after Claeys was fired.

Johnson was asked if Les Miles or Chip Kelly would be a candidate.

“The market is going to determine what salary and benefits are going to be paid,” Johnson said. “There’s all kinds of names, you know, from yeah, Chip Kelly and [Kevin] Sumlin and [P.J.] Fleck and the list goes on and on.

“But we need somebody who knows Minnesota.”

http://www.1500espn.com/gophers-2/2...andidate-minnesota-board-chairman-drops-name/

Go Gophers!!

per 1500:

The Chair of the Board of Regents, Dean Johnson, mentioned Sumlin by name in an interview with Mackey & Judd on 1500ESPN on Wednesday morning, the day after Claeys was fired.

“The market is going to determine what salary and benefits are going to be paid,” Johnson said. “There’s all kinds of names, you know, from yeah, Chip Kelly and [Kevin] Sumlin and [P.J.] Fleck and the list goes on and on.

http://www.1500espn.com/gophers-2/2...andidate-minnesota-board-chairman-drops-name/

Go Gophers!!

First overt Lane Kiffin reference. Done deal boys...

What does "Who knows Minnesota" mean? Is there a certain level of Minnesota dysfunction the new coach needs to understand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per 1500:

Go Gophers!!

Or, crazy though here so bear with me, we hire whoever gives us the best chance to win as many games as possible, and who gives a **** if they've ever stepped foot in MN or not?

What does "Who knows Minnesota" mean? Is there a certain level of Minnesota dysfunction the new coach needs to understand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have to know an Ole and Lena joke, and know how to say ufda and you betcha.

Or, crazy though here so bear with me, we hire whoever gives us the best chance to win as many games as possible, and who gives a **** if they've ever stepped foot in MN or not?

Because we don't want a repeat of Wisconsin and Gary Anderson. We don't want a coach to come in, and then decide to leave because they don't like the way things are done here. We want someone who knows how we do things, and is willing to work with that.

Because we don't want a repeat of Wisconsin and Gary Anderson. We don't want a coach to come in, and then decide to leave because they don't like the way things are done here. We want someone who knows how we do things, and is willing to work with that.

Then good luck getting anyone who is worth a damn. I love how people think this is a top job in the country. I believe there are fourteen teams in the SEC 9Could be wrong and too lazy to look it up) The MN job is in the bottom 3 there. Better than Vandy and probably equal to Kentucky and maybe Misouri

I think this is pretty spot on. Everything Johnson has said publicly is also a message to Coyle and Kaler, be careful and get it right. Sumlin fits in so many ways that I would be pretty disappointed if Coyle doesn't see that and misses the opportunity to go after him. Actually really disappointed. He needs to live up to that "rock star" tag Kaler put on him when he hired Coyle.

Boosters would kick in $$ needed for his salary and donations would start flowing immediately for the athlete's village project. I think the payback is at least a push $$ wise, and more likely to generate more $$ in donations than the extra $$ needed to get Sumlin.

I think this is pretty spot on. Everything Johnson has said publicly is also a message to Coyle and Kaler, be careful and get it right. Sumlin fits in so many ways that I would be pretty disappointed if Coyle doesn't see that and misses the opportunity to go after him. Actually really disappointed. He needs to live up to that "rock star" tag Kaler put on him when he hired Coyle.

Boosters would kick in $$ needed for his salary and donations would start flowing immediately for the athlete's village project. I think the payback is at least a push $$ wise, and more likely to generate more $$ in donations than the extra $$ needed to get Sumlin.

Me too. Can't help but believe that Texas A&M would have to let him go first. Despite rumors to that effect, can't see it happening. You?

Me too. Can't help but believe that Texas A&M would have to let him go first. Despite rumors to that effect, can't see it happening. You?

A&M doesn't have to let him go. He can leave on his own and there is no buyout.

A&M doesn't have to let him go. He can leave on his own and there is no buyout.

You mean he can leave but they can't fire him? Didn't know whether he had a buyout or not.

I meant that A&M would "have to let him walk". They'd have to make no effort to keep him. Sumlin has said "no" to the U in the past. Couldn't see him leaving Texas unless he had no choice. Which he does.

SUMLIN ISN’T GOING ANYWHERE ANYTIME SOON.

Disappointed A&M fans who would love to see Sumlin out are going to be disappointed. The terms of his contract make it practically impossible to fire him right now and move on. Sumlin makes $5 million and year and has four years left on his six-year deal. According to Sports Illustrated, the buyout language in the contract is so coach-friendly, that Sumlin would be owed the entire amount of his contract – a whopping $20 million – and would have to be paid in full within 60 days of firing.

No way anyone writes a check for $20 million.

You remember the big buyout talked about at LSU with Les Miles? There were figures of $15 million to $18 million being bandied about, but that was to be spread over eight years, SI said. That might have been palatable. This is one lump sum. So no way that happens.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/column-sumlin-career-texas-am-crossroads/

You mean he can leave but they can't fire him? Didn't know whether he had a buyout or not.

I meant that A&M would "have to let him walk". They'd have to make no effort to keep him. Sumlin has said "no" to the U in the past. Couldn't see him leaving Texas unless he had no choice. Which he does.

Disappointed A&M fans who would love to see Sumlin out are going to be disappointed. The terms of his contract make it practically impossible to fire him right now and move on. Sumlin makes $5 million and year and has four years left on his six-year deal. According to Sports Illustrated, the buyout language in the contract is so coach-friendly, that Sumlin would be owed the entire amount of his contract – a whopping $20 million – and would have to be paid in full within 60 days of firing.

You remember the big buyout talked about at LSU with Les Miles? There were figures of $15 million to $18 million being bandied about, but that was to be spread over eight years, SI said. That might have been palatable. This is one lump sum. So no way that happens.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/column-sumlin-career-texas-am-crossroads/

That article is a year old. Based on an article I read yesterday, after the last game of the 2016 season, there is no buy-out in either direction. They can fire him and he can leave. Not sure if it's accurate though.

That article is a year old. Based on an article I read yesterday, after the last game of the 2016 season, there is no buy-out in either direction. They can fire him and he can leave. Not sure if it's accurate though.

Thanks. Just found an article from June that confirms that. All that aside, can't see Sumlin leaving for here unless A&M made no effort to keep him. Though would really like him to get the job.

Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin

Like his SEC West counterpart Les Miles, Sumlin’s contract has also been the subject of heavy discussion lately.

Last December, there was a report vehemently denied by Texas A&M chancellor John Sharp that claimed Sumlin’s contract — which pays him around $5 million per year — included a $20 million buyout.

But Sports Illustrated’s Andy Staples seems to have solidified that assertion, writing that Sumlin’s buyout would be $15 million “payable within 60 days” of termination if he were fired in December.

On the other side of the buyout clause, the deal gets really interesting in 2017 — assuming anyone would want to hire Sumlin away from College Station. According to NFL.com’s Chase Goodbread, Sumlin’s buyout clause is actually void once the calendar flips forward to Jan. 1. Meaning?

“Texas A&M wouldn’t get a dime if he were to leave, as long as he stays through a potential bowl appearance at the end of the 2016 season.”

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/sec-football-head-coach-contract-salary-buyout

They like Chip. And Texas folks aren't gonna be scared off by 15 million bucks if it's for football. Plenty of deep pockets supporting that program. They just finished a $450M rebuild of their stadium with all private money.

You are correct. All buyout requirements expired after the bowl game this year. I attached this to my Sumlin thread...apparently not many bothered to read it.

"In three days, the Kevin Sumlin era will reach its most interesting juncture yet.

Once the calendar turns to 2017, Sumlin’s buyout clause — reportedly worth $20 million — disappears. On the flip side, he’ll be free to leave without paying Texas A&M a dime. Suddenly, a high-leverage relationship with many expensive strings attached becomes an equal partnership.

The question is now: Do Sumlin and Texas A&M still want to be together?"

https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am...s-warmest-after-texas-am-comes-up-short-again

They like Chip. And Texas folks aren't gonna be scared off by 15 million bucks if it's for football. Plenty of deep pockets supporting that program. They just finished a $450M rebuild of their stadium with all private money.

Plus Chip and Kevin share the same agent.

Thanks. Just found an article from June that confirms that. All that aside, can't see Sumlin leaving for here unless A&M made no effort to keep him. Though would really like him to get the job.

Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin

Like his SEC West counterpart Les Miles, Sumlin’s contract has also been the subject of heavy discussion lately.

Last December, there was a report vehemently denied by Texas A&M chancellor John Sharp that claimed Sumlin’s contract — which pays him around $5 million per year — included a $20 million buyout.

But Sports Illustrated’s Andy Staples seems to have solidified that assertion, writing that Sumlin’s buyout would be $15 million “payable within 60 days” of termination if he were fired in December.

On the other side of the buyout clause, the deal gets really interesting in 2017 — assuming anyone would want to hire Sumlin away from College Station. According to NFL.com’s Chase Goodbread, Sumlin’s buyout clause is actually void once the calendar flips forward to Jan. 1. Meaning?

“Texas A&M wouldn’t get a dime if he were to leave, as long as he stays through a potential bowl appearance at the end of the 2016 season.”

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/sec-football-head-coach-contract-salary-buyout

TAM is looking for a change...as stated in another post, they like Chip.

Top Bottom