1500: Breaking down the Gophers QBs: Gray headed for 'breakout year?'

At the GLC Golf tourney last Wednesday, Coach Kill mentioned that Gray is tipping the scales at 255, and will be "very hard to bring down".

Gray wil have a good year. If we find a running back that is a true threat, he will have a better year. And if we have two recievers step up and catch the ball, he will have a great year.

husker70

Gray wil have a good year. If we find a running back that is a true threat, he will have a better year. And if we have two recievers step up and catch the ball, he will have a great year.

Pretty much sums up the various scenarios for this fall. The only thing I would add to the above is, if in addition, the offensive line stays healthy and lives up to their potential, he will have a fantastic year. I have to admit that it becoming harder and harder not to be somewhat optimistic when Kill seems to be so optimistic.

What we need is two legit threats in the backfield for the defense. Jump in the way back with Illinois they had Rashard Mendenhall and Juice Willams. After Mendenhall graduated the Juice was ineffective. Mendenhall has been a stud for Pittsburg. We desperately need a ball carrier like Darrell Thompson to line up next to or behind Gray. That would be a tremendous season.

husker70 said:
What we need is two legit threats in the backfield for the defense. Jump in the way back with Illinois they had Rashard Mendenhall and Juice Willams. After Mendenhall graduated the Juice was ineffective. Mendenhall has been a stud for Pittsburg. We desperately need a ball carrier like Darrell Thompson to line up next to or behind Gray. That would be a tremendous season.
For the Offense?

Pretty much sums up the various scenarios for this fall. The only thing I would add to the above is, if in addition, the offensive line stays healthy and lives up to their potential, he will have a fantastic year. I have to admit that it becoming harder and harder not to be somewhat optimistic when Kill seems to be so optimistic.

Gray will only be as good as the offensive line. If they can give him time to make his reads AND make defenses respect the run; both of Gray and our RB's, then Gray could be one of the top 3 QB's in the BT this year. Incidentally, the ceiling for our RB's is also tied to the OL. If Gray is put into a situation where he's constantly running for his life and/or having to create plays with his legs because there's nothing else there it could be a long season.

I'm not sure I'm ready to annoint Gray with the title of "Fantastic" yet. Not after watching the spring game. The one thing Marquies doesn't have is 3 years of experience under center. All the more reason that the OL needs to step up.

For the Offense?

He probably mean "for the defense to have to deal with" or something like that. But I agree, SOMEONE needs to emerge in that RB pool and become someone to focus on, otherwise Gray will not be nearly as effective as he could be.

I'm starting to feel the #1 reason I am looking forward to Gopher Football is; cooler weather.:)

I agree the OL is important, and they do need a RB to take command of the position, BUT......

IMHO, Gray's effectiveness is directly linked to the WR corps. Someone has to emerge as a legitimate deep threat; and the Gophs need one of the TE's to become a reliable short and mid-range target. I don't think Gray has to throw for 250 yds/gm, but he does need to be able to throw for at least 150-200 yds to keep defenses honest. Otherwise, teams are going to pack the line, spy the QB run, and have a good chance of shutting down the Goph's offense. I'm always suspicious about counting on FR to contribute right away, so that means the returning WR's will have to get it done.

Top Bottom