12th school for the Big Ten? Give me Syracuse

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
After watching Syracuse last night, I continue to be amazed at what Jim Boeheim does at Syracuse. Mr. Boeheim has a penchant for whining about things (he's one of the vocal leaders for NCAA Tournament expansion), but he's witty, he can assemble talent and he can coach.

With hoops as my primary sport of interest in college athletics, selfishly I'm hoping Syracuse is the school that joins the Big Ten, if expansion does indeed happen. How cool would it be to add a program of that stature to the Big Ten, to have the Orangemen visit The Barn, and for the Gophers to visit the Carrierdome? No offense to Rutgers, Iowa State, Notre Dame, Pitt and Missouri basketball, but they are not Syracuse.

I have no doubt Syracuse would continue to be a national power, but what'd really be interesting is to see how they'd compete in the Big Ten. I'm sure ESPN (led by Big East a*s-kissers Digger Phelps & Bobby Knight) would tell everyone Syracuse will run roughshod over the Big Ten, but I'm not so sure that would be the case. I'd love to find out. The Big Ten already has the best assembly of coaches in the country, Boeheim would just add to that.

For the record, I don't think it'll happen. Even if the Big Ten extends an offer, Syracuse will stay in the Big East because of basketball. Cool to think about it, though.

Do they add the NYC market to a significantly greater extent then PSU already does? If not, they don't bring a lot to the table. It doesn't help that they are horrible in football. Also, much like UConn with Calhoun, it feels like thier entire basketball history is built around Boeheim. What will happen when he finally retires? Will they still be a power?

Boeheim is 65. I don't think the Big Ten is really going to look at coaches when making the decision.

That said, Syracuse is a MUCH better choice than Rutgers if we're trying to capture the New York market.

If Syracuse Football hadn't fallen so hard the best decade they'd probably be a lay up as the best choice.

I'm only talking about the basketball end of it. I'm very aware there's much more to it than that.

Good point about Boeheim's age, though I suspect whenever he retires -- probably no time soon -- Syracuse will find plenty of big-name takers for that job. He'll be a tough act to follow, but I don't think 'Cuse basketball will disappear from the national landscape.

>>(Syracuse) don't bring a lot to the table. It doesn't help that they are horrible in football.<<

Agreed.

Missouri would be better addition. Same with Iowa State.

SS. Apology accepted, however, I agree with you about Syracuse being a great addition to the BIG TEN.

It's fairly impossible to discuss this while only talking about basketball, but Syracuse would be fun from a basketball standpoint. I'd still prefer Mizzou or Pitt overall, though.

"Syracuse would be fun from a basketball standpoint."

Thank you. That's all I was trying to say.

Syracuse is OK...

I like Syracuse and Boeheim. As for the football angle I think they would fit right in with the Big Ten bottom feeders.

I personally would prefer Pitt or Mizzou. No interest at all in Iowa State (they bring nothing in my opinion).

If Missouri
West East
MN OSU
IA PSU
WI IL
MI IN
MSU PU
MO NU

or if Pitt or SU

West East
MN OSU
IA PSU
WI IL
MI IN
MSU PU
NU? Pitt or SU?

So what rivalry gets broken up if Pitt or Syracuse is added to fill out the Western conference of the Big Ten Indiana/Purdue or Northwestern/Illinois?

Notre Dame would be easier to fit in the West.

My Vote

I vote for Mizzou or ND.

SS - thanks for the interesting thread.

:clap::clap::clap:

I'd like to see Johns Hopkins added. From a lacrosse standpoint.

Actually, lakesbison would still like NoDak State from a doormat standpoint.

Top Bottom