12/26: UNC now 1.5 Favorite

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
The betting line on the UNC game has swung around. The Gophers, long favored by Vegas (by up to 2.5 points ) in this game, are suddenly 1.5 point dogs. The change was sudden; the point swing meaningful. I wonder if word has leaked out of the Gophers locker room that certain key players (Taylor and/or Jackson?) will be unavailable for the game? If one or both are out of our key offensive studs are out, this game suddenly becomes a critical test of Brosmer and of our defense. Go Gophers!

My guess would be no action. It could be 3 tomorrow in our favor.

Brosmer is unproven. The passing game and the entire defense are unknowns, probably good.

A lot of articles lately say Gophers will win 4 games. Not true but people are swayed by that.

North Carolina is unknown too. Maybe some think their o-line and QB are sneaky good.

I dont bet but heard an interview with a betting guy who said you make your money on unknown teams early in the season. Not saying just saying.

Thought i saw Taylor on crutches at the fair. Probably reacting to that. I'm not concerned about our backups for this game but bettors are

I did see a Gopher on crutches in the background of some Gopher picture from the Fair. Picture might have been from a FB friend. No idea whether it was Taylor; could have been any sub-225 lb. player. But if it was Taylor, let's hope Marcus Major and Sieh Bangura are as billed. And that a fresh Jordan Nubin can put on a Mich State-like performance, if called upon. If WR Jackson is also unavailable, maybe we see a lot of passes to RBs to force the Corners to play tighter to the LOS, possibly keeping the Safeties in Cover 2. Could help the running game--if Brosmer can execute these passes with catchable balls.

If Taylor and Jackson are both on the sidelines, and Brosmer + Harbaugh manage to run a productive and efficient offense, I think this could be a very interesting year. Go Gophers!

My guess would be no action. It could be 3 tomorrow in our favor.
Given how betting odds are calculated, the "no action" explanation is certainly a plausible explanation. But given how swiftly and dramatically the odds moved against the Gophs, I suspect that key player availability has been leaked. We'll know more at or around 5:00 PM tomorrow.

Brosmer is unproven. The passing game and the entire defense are unknowns, probably good.

A lot of articles lately say Gophers will win 4 games. Not true but people are swayed by that.

North Carolina is unknown too. Maybe some think their o-line and QB are sneaky good.
Not diagreeing with all this, but the passing game has a really low bar to be better than last year, and Gophs have the receivers needed. I would not say Max and the entire defense is an unknown. Max shows (albeit at a lower level) that he can perform. Was also very good coming out of HS in Georgia but got completely over looked. I like the fact that he was arguably the best QB for two years at FCS level.

Not diagreeing with all this, but the passing game has a really low bar to be better than last year, and Gophs have the receivers needed. I would not say Max and the entire defense is an unknown. Max shows (albeit at a lower level) that he can perform. Was also very good coming out of HS in Georgia but got completely over looked. I like the fact that he was arguably the best QB for two years at FCS level.
Yep, while overlooked QB's are not a dime a dozen, they are out there. Josh Allen comes to mind. Let's hope Max Brosmer has a little something for those doing any overlooking.

Yep, while overlooked QB's are not a dime a dozen, they are out there. Josh Allen comes to mind. Let's hope Max Brosmer has a little something for those doing any overlooking.
Honestly, the offense really has nowhere to go but up from last year. Even the rushing offense was middle of the pack in FBS. #122 of 130 in total offense. Hard not to have a more balanced offense compared to last year. It would be a pleasant surprise if Max put up yardage like he has the past two years, but even averaging 200-225 yards this year would be a huge improvement. Gophs 29 total TDs last year ranked them 115 of 130.

I’ll be surprised if Taylor plays. I have no inside info but this news just sort of seems to confirm it in my head. The most “ Minnesota” thing is for both Taylor and Jackson to remain out as long as possible.

But, it is amazing how f’d up early season rankings and betting lines can be. Often a lot of laughable takes to look back on later.

Fleck said last week that he thought everyone would probably play. Not sure if that will be true.

Someone at GH said missing the WR Jackson would be more damaging than RB Taylor because Gophers appear to have depth at RB.

I have been saying I expect the RBs to catch the ball so that helps.

Spent sometime watching Brosmers NH games. I saw a lot of bubble screens and 8 yr tosses. Laser throws but not much else. Hoping to see more range tonight.

Spent sometime watching Brosmers NH games. I saw a lot of bubble screens and 8 yr tosses. Laser throws but not much else. Hoping to see more range tonight.
I'd be happy to see accurate passes of any range tonight. Last year against UNC we had WRs that were wide open but either dropped the ball or the throw was not there. I'm hoping if we get anywhere near that much separation that Brosmer can throw it there accurately.

Brosmer is reported to be able to go through progressions, which is something a lot of MN QB haven't done.

One thing we've heard from coaches in almost every interview is passing to the RBs is going to be a part of the offense.

Putting a little money on the home team for the game. Also, putting a little something on NDSU to cover against CO. They stand a fair chance of beating the Buffalos clown show in my opinion.

Yeah, this the same qb I saw on tape for NH. Honestly, not much that jumps off the page

Well, Max is who I thought he was. Some posters here are next level.

Top Bottom