12-0 not so bad- a brief history of games in Iowa City

Winnipegopher

Wag more, bark less
Reaction score
I know the offence was horrid today but I think people need to relax. Today was a war and the Gophers lost. That said, they played hard and it was much closer than other trips to Iowa City.

Here is synopsis of recent and not so recent trips to Iowa City. In retrospect, it appears our much vaunted offence never showed up in Iowa. Somehow I think the Gopherhole was similarly upset in 2005 and 2003.

The only win is 1999 against a horrid Iowa team. 2007 was the only close game since 1989.

2007 1-11 Gophers come in and play 6-6 Iowa close. Lose 21-16

2005 Then 7-3 Gophers come and lose 52-28 to 7-5 Iowa. Game is 38-7 (only Gopher touchdown in first half is interception return) at half and 45-7 at end of third quarter. This team had Maroney, Russell, Pinnix, receivers Wheelright, Payne and Spaeth and junior qb Cupito.

2003 9-2 Gophers come in and lose 40-22 to 10-3 Iowa. Game is 20-6 at half and 40-6 in the fourth quarter. this tream had Barber, Maroney, Tapeh, Utecht and senior quarterback Asad Abdul Khaliq. This is the Gopher team that beat Oregon to get to 10 wins.

2001 3-6 Gophers lose 42-24 to 7-5 Iowa. Game is 28-3 at half and 45-10 in 4th quarter. This team had Barber, Redmon and AAK. Also receiver Ron Johnson.

1999 7-3 Gophers defeat 1-11 Hawkeyes 25-21. Gophers down 21-10 at half but come back.

1997 3-8 Gophers lose 31-0 to 7-5 Iowa

1995 3-8 Gophers lose 45-3 to 8-4 Iowa

1993 Gophers lose 21-3

1991 Gophers lose 23-8

So, would you trade all those pre-WW2 national championships to reverse those scores vs. Iowa?

So, would you trade all those pre-WW2 national championships to reverse those scores vs. Iowa?

Would you trade those scores for ANY national championships?

Gophers still lead all-time series, still have more tradition, still don't have to live/play in Iowa.

I would rather that my team was actually good during my lifetime, but I guess I am just a crazy person.

I guess you get to look at banners and stuff though, that's just as exciting as actually seeing your team have success, right?

I would rather that my team was actually good during my lifetime, but I guess I am just a crazy person.

I guess you get to look at banners and stuff though, that's just as exciting as actually seeing your team have success, right?

Is your team that good though? This is probably Iowa's best season ever and you're about to get anal raindanced in a BCS bowl game.

Born after 2003?

My point still stands Iowa will be embarrassed in a BCS game so I'm not sure you've got much of an elite program either. My only hope is that you play Boise State and 'the only thing that matters is Iowa' gets crushed.

At least we have a shot at getting to a BCS bowl.

Anyway, my point wasn't really that we're on the level or Florida or something. But we've had a pretty good program for awhile now, and are almost always better than the Gophers. I'm not sure why I would ever want to trade that for a bunch of titles that I didn't actually see.

Not so bad!?! We were shut out twice, and could basically count Ohio St. as a 3rd one. The defense played great to keep us in it, but our offense needs to be able to put some points on the board. Can we expect our D to get shutouts every game and score a TD to get us the win?

I agree with you. I would trade places with the Iowa program's success in my lifetime (since 1979 when I attended my first game).

Us - 0 Big Ten titles
Them - 5 Big Ten titles, 3 Rose Bowls, 1 Orange Bowl, probably the Fiesta this year

Us - one 3rd place Big Ten finish (highest in my lifetime)
Them - 15 top three Big Ten finishes

Us - twice finished the season in the Top 25 (highest 17th)
Them - on their way to a seventh Top Ten season-ending ranking; 15 in the Top 25

Big Ten records since 2002:

1. 54-10 Ohio State (6 Big Ten titles)
2. 42-22 Iowa (2 Big Ten titles)
3. 41-23 Michigan (2 Big Ten titles)
4. 37-27 Wisconsin
5. 36-28 Penn State (2 Big Ten titles)
6. 31-33 Purdue
7. 30-34 Northwestern
8. 27-37 Michigan State
9. 24-40 Minnesota
10. 17-47 Illinois
11. 12-52 Indiana

Look, we can poo-poo what Fry and Ferentz have done there all we want, but I'd trade spots with them. In fact, if you told me over the next 30 years we'd get five Big Ten titles, finish the season seven times in the Top Ten national rankings, 15 top three Big Ten finishes, three Rose Bowls, an Orange Bowl, a Fiesta Bowl - well, it'd take me about 1 second to jump at it.

Personally, while it is nice that we've won 6 national titles, I don't take a great deal of joy in them considering the last one we won came about 11 years before I was born. Great historical thing for us, but for me personally, call me crazy, but I would enjoy watching my team go to five BCS caliber games in the 30 year time I've followed the Gophers (as Iowa fans have enjoyed).

Let me reverse the concept. As an Iowa fan, there is no way that I would trade Iowa football since 1979 for anything that happened before WW2. But I know what it must be like to not have a legit comeback. Oh well, you can always go into your pig farmer remarks and tell us that there is nothing else to do in Iowa. But dude, you just come across as a loser when you do that.

Let me reverse the concept. As an Iowa fan, there is no way that I would trade Iowa football since 1979 for anything that happened before WW2. But I know what it must be like to not have a legit comeback. Oh well, you can always go into your pig farmer remarks and tell us that there is nothing else to do in Iowa. But dude, you just come across as a loser when you do that.

Right, he comes off as a loser. Trolling other teams boards and actually posting on them is totally cool and not loser-like at all though. You must have a great and full life.

I would rather that I actually live in a state with something exciting to do during my lifetime, but I guess I am just a crazy person.

I guess you get to look at corn and stuff though, and that's just as exciting as actually having 4 major professional sports teams, right?:pig:

That really doesn't have anything to do with what I said, Gophers are Golden. Please leave that poor strawman alone. He didn't do anything to you.

But, since you brought it up, I have lived extensively in both places, and I can tell you that Iowa and Minnesota are more or less exactly the same place and populated by almost the exact same sorts of people. The fact that it is so similar to what I grew up with is a big part of the reason I moved up here. I also don't really get why pro sports make Minnesota superior. For one thing, college sports are way more fun. For another, it's not like people in Iowa are somehow barred from following pro sports or having favorite teams.

As I posted in another topic, there is virtually nothing that you can do in Minnesota that I can't do in Iowa, and if there were, I would get in my car and go and do it. A state border is just an invisible line and it says nothing about my quality of life or who I am. If I really cared about the N.F.L., I would go to a game. But you must realize how artificial that pro teams are. The players are not from there, and the owners feel no real loyalty to you. They will leave you in a moment or sell the team to somebody else. Sorry if some of my remarks seem a bit insensitive in your time of grief, but I just get so tired of the same old schtick. All the crap that you throw at us is stuff that we could care less about.

All the crap that you throw at us is stuff that we could care less about.

Okay, then why do you feel the need to come onto an opposing team's message board and repeatedly defend these things you "could care less about"??? By the way could you care less about them? If you could, why wouldn't you? Do you mean couldn't???

Nice username.

You generally don't defend things you don't care about, only those you do. Nice try, but you still lost.

You generally don't defend things you don't care about, only those you do. Nice try, but you still lost.

Lost what? What is the competition? If defending Iowa's merits as a state/desirable place to live/football program on a University of Minnesota message board is at all worth your time, you lost before you started.

I know the offence was horrid today but I think people need to relax. Today was a war and the Gophers lost. That said, they played hard and it was much closer than other trips to Iowa City.

Here is synopsis of recent and not so recent trips to Iowa City. In retrospect, it appears our much vaunted offence never showed up in Iowa. Somehow I think the Gopherhole was similarly upset in 2005 and 2003.

The only win is 1999 against a horrid Iowa team. 2007 was the only close game since 1989.

2007 1-11 Gophers come in and play 6-6 Iowa close. Lose 21-16

2005 Then 7-3 Gophers come and lose 52-28 to 7-5 Iowa. Game is 38-7 (only Gopher touchdown in first half is interception return) at half and 45-7 at end of third quarter. This team had Maroney, Russell, Pinnix, receivers Wheelright, Payne and Spaeth and junior qb Cupito.

2003 9-2 Gophers come in and lose 40-22 to 10-3 Iowa. Game is 20-6 at half and 40-6 in the fourth quarter. this tream had Barber, Maroney, Tapeh, Utecht and senior quarterback Asad Abdul Khaliq. This is the Gopher team that beat Oregon to get to 10 wins.

2001 3-6 Gophers lose 42-24 to 7-5 Iowa. Game is 28-3 at half and 45-10 in 4th quarter. This team had Barber, Redmon and AAK. Also receiver Ron Johnson.

1999 7-3 Gophers defeat 1-11 Hawkeyes 25-21. Gophers down 21-10 at half but come back.

1997 3-8 Gophers lose 31-0 to 7-5 Iowa

1995 3-8 Gophers lose 45-3 to 8-4 Iowa

1993 Gophers lose 21-3

1991 Gophers lose 23-8

So basically our best two "performances" in Iowa City the last 20 years have come in the last two years. That's kinda encouraging, but wow, that is really sad. Now I really hate Iowa lol.

Top Bottom