10 Reasons We MIGHT get Snubbed

Moses87

Banned
Reaction score
I think the Gopher Nation needs to prepare itself for what could be another in a long line of snubs from the NCAA. Who can forget 1992/93 campaign when the Gophers went on to win the NIT? Most observers thought the Gophers were a lock that year. Further snubs in the 90's and the year the Gophers became the first team in the modern era to have a winning record in the conference and not a get a bid...was that 2002? Anyway, I think the committee has their hands full...at least 4 teams will feel terribly snubbed.

Here are 10 reasons the Gophers might get snubbed:

1)RPI over 60 - Looks like the Gophers will enter Sunday with an RPI of 61. Theoretically, only teams in the top 50 should be "locks" for a bid...based on the theory that roughly 15 teams outside the top 50 will earn auto-bids in most seasons. Getting an at-large bid with an RPI of 61 or higher has happened before but certainly, not the norm. The Gophers RPI was killed by the losses to Indiana and Portland.

2)Houston, we have a problem. The upset over an uninspired UTEP team stole a bid that was never gonna go Houston's way without that win. When I saw that game's last 2 minutes, my heart sank.

3)Utah State - They are choking right now to New Mexico State....If the Aggies win, that's another bid gone. Utah State are a lock for an at-large bid.

4).500 record in mediocre Big 10 - Normally its not a big deal for a Big 10 team to be .500 and make it, but with the perception around the country that the league is somewhat down, Minnesota could be left out based on the perception.

5)Big Ten bias toward Chicago and Illinois - Don't laugh! The NCAA and the Big Ten would probably rather have an Illinois team get in so they could captivate the Chicago market that much more...Not sure who is representing the Big Ten on the Committee but chances are, he's not associated with Minnesota and has to answer to the Big Ten Commissioner.

6)Miss-Information from CBS - Kellogg and Nantz perpetuating a rumor/lie that the Gophers beat OSU while they were without Turner, thus minimizing a key win. I heard Kellogg say it three times during the broadcast. Meanwhile, both Nantz and Kellogg went to bat for for the Illini.

7)Gophers could get blown out by OSU - Playing their 4th game in 65 hours, could seriously be too much to ask. If the Gophers get blown out, it could minimize all that they accomplished in this tourney's first 3 days.

8)Kent State - They lost early in their conference tourney and are pretty much a lock for an at-large bid with a 24-7 record and RPI of 48. Meanwhile, Ohio gets the auto-bid with a win over Akron. the Mac gets 2 spots with only 1 team inside the top 75 RPI...yuck!

9)Negativity surrounding Minnesota program with suspensions - It may not be a huge problem, but there could be some who feel that Tubby has recruited thugs and poor students...the powers in the NCAA may not wanna reward Tubby for having a quarter of his roster suspended.

10)Minnesotans are too nice - What group of fans would take an ass-reaming better than Minnesotans?

If I were Tubby, I would be telling my team that we have to win the game...NOTHING is guarenteed and especially not for the Gophers and Minnesota when it comes to the NCAA Tourney.

For the last time Kent St is not getting a bid. I am more worried about #7 than any of those

The NCAA selection committee isn't listening to Kellogg/Nantz.

So, that leaves 9

Moses, despite 99.9% of the posts directed at you...you keep going.

I have to admit, when you put your mind to something....you sure don't stop.

I don't think #9 is a factor. The national respect for Tubby offsets the program's issues this year and makes them an isolated situation.

I would love to disagree, but can't...outside # 9. Tubby's history could, and should, outweigh any (perceived) thuggery. a. One student, eligible at the start of the year...but ran into academic issues with extenuating circumstances. b. One student, charges will (and should be dropped [my opinion]). c. One thug. But that thug, when he signed, was an eligible player.

Regarding #9....I would think the program would get respect for handling its own problems.

Most of these are resonable, but #5 is borderline, and frankly, numbers 6, 9, and 10 are garbage. And here's why:

#6: Nance and Kellogg don't make the decisions, the selection committee does, and given Minnesota's bubble status their resume will be scrutinized very closely by them. They'll do their own homework. If the Selection Committee's credibility, the misinformation the CBS broadcast provided will not and cannot be a factor.

#9: Considering that White and Mbakwe never suited up for the team, its hard to believe that Tubby and Friends would take a hit for having guys on the team that were disciplined (and perhaps even over-disciplined) as harshly as they could have been short of kicking them off the team. An academic suspension for Nolen is a non-factor too, since its not as if he's continuously had this problem. Its one semester out of 6 for Nolen's career at the U.

#10: Yeah, we'll get snubbed because if they snub UTEP, their fans will be so outraged that the committee will think twice, while we'll just smile and take it "dontcha know"... Minnesota nice, my ass.

#9:

I think the Gopher Nation needs to prepare itself for what could be another in a long line of snubs from the NCAA. Who can forget 1992/93 campaign when the Gophers went on to win the NIT? Most observers thought the Gophers were a lock that year. Further snubs in the 90's and the year the Gophers became the first team in the modern era to have a winning record in the conference and not a get a bid...was that 2002? Anyway, I think the committee has their hands full...at least 4 teams will feel terribly snubbed.

Here are 10 reasons the Gophers might get snubbed:

1)RPI over 60 - Looks like the Gophers will enter Sunday with an RPI of 61. Theoretically, only teams in the top 50 should be "locks" for a bid...based on the theory that roughly 15 teams outside the top 50 will earn auto-bids in most seasons. Getting an at-large bid with an RPI of 61 or higher has happened before but certainly, not the norm. The Gophers RPI was killed by the losses to Indiana and Portland.

2)Houston, we have a problem. The upset over an uninspired UTEP team stole a bid that was never gonna go Houston's way without that win. When I saw that game's last 2 minutes, my heart sank.

3)Utah State - They are choking right now to New Mexico State....If the Aggies win, that's another bid gone. Utah State are a lock for an at-large bid.

4).500 record in mediocre Big 10 - Normally its not a big deal for a Big 10 team to be .500 and make it, but with the perception around the country that the league is somewhat down, Minnesota could be left out based on the perception.

5)Big Ten bias toward Chicago and Illinois - Don't laugh! The NCAA and the Big Ten would probably rather have an Illinois team get in so they could captivate the Chicago market that much more...Not sure who is representing the Big Ten on the Committee but chances are, he's not associated with Minnesota and has to answer to the Big Ten Commissioner.

6)Miss-Information from CBS - Kellogg and Nantz perpetuating a rumor/lie that the Gophers beat OSU while they were without Turner, thus minimizing a key win. I heard Kellogg say it three times during the broadcast. Meanwhile, both Nantz and Kellogg went to bat for for the Illini.

7)Gophers could get blown out by OSU - Playing their 4th game in 65 hours, could seriously be too much to ask. If the Gophers get blown out, it could minimize all that they accomplished in this tourney's first 3 days.

8)Kent State - They lost early in their conference tourney and are pretty much a lock for an at-large bid with a 24-7 record and RPI of 48. Meanwhile, Ohio gets the auto-bid with a win over Akron. the Mac gets 2 spots with only 1 team inside the top 75 RPI...yuck!

9)Negativity surrounding Minnesota program with suspensions - It may not be a huge problem, but there could be some who feel that Tubby has recruited thugs and poor students...the powers in the NCAA may not wanna reward Tubby for having a quarter of his roster suspended.

10)Minnesotans are too nice - What group of fans would take an ass-reaming better than Minnesotans?

If I were Tubby, I would be telling my team that we have to win the game...NOTHING is guarenteed and especially not for the Gophers and Minnesota when it comes to the NCAA Tourney.

Thunderlips wants to do this to you..............http://www.totalrocky.com/films/rockyiii/photos/hulkchoke.jpg

Kent State finished with an RPI of 47 and a record of 24-7....I will be shocked if they are passed over.

More disturbing right now, is Utah State, blowing the game vs New Mexico State. Another 1 bid league gets 2.

Aggies up 6 with less than 2 minutes to go.

Kent State finished with an RPI of 47 and a record of 24-7....I will be shocked if they are passed over.

More disturbing right now, is Utah State, blowing the game vs New Mexico State. Another 1 bid league gets 2.

Aggies up 6 with less than 2 minutes to go.

And they have beaten who exactly? Kent State is 23-9 btw not 24-7. Kent St is not in unless there is a fix

New Mexico State just stole a bid from someone....Could be the Gophers or Illini....I can't see Utah State getting snubbed with an RPI in the top 30.

New Mexico State just stole a bid from someone....Could be the Gophers or Illini....I can't see Utah State getting snubbed with an RPI in the top 30.

why the hell is everyone talking about illinois? they're 5 games above .500. they beat msu, clemson, and wiscy(2). lost to utah, bradley, and MINNESOTA at home.

illinois is out.

Illinois is not out, Bassy. They might not be in, but they certainly aren't out.

FWIW Utah State shouldnt be in front of Illinois either. Their body of work doesnt even compare to Illinois' but its not for me to decide. UTEP also is behind Illinois in the pecking order imo

Regarding #9....I would think the program would get respect for handling its own problems.

Indeed. Minnesota would have looked bad if they had swept the problems under the rug like some schools might have.

I'd have a hard time seeing Kent St. getting in. They haven't beaten anyone of note. The Gophers wins against Michigan St., @ Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin, Butler, Ohio St. (heck probably NWestern too) are more impressive than any win on their resume. The RPI is a good standard to look at, but the committee is flawed if they compare those two resumes and choose Kent St.

Top Bottom