10 people killed in Colorado supermarket shooting, including a police officer

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
It certainly appears as if the shooter was a mental case. relatives describe him as paranoid and having apparent delusions of being followed,etc.

So, let's take this in a different direction:

If someone is nuts, should they be able to purchase a gun? I would say no. mental illness and firearms are a bad combination.

But - in a free society, how do you identify these people and red flag them before they buy a gun and start shooting? that is the real question and the tough question.

Unfortunately, the shooting is often the incident that causes the relatives and neighbors to come forward and say "there's something wrong with X."

So how to prevent it?

it would mean that relatives and friends would have to be much more pro-active. Still, it is difficult to have someone committed or evaluated without their consent, unless they have gotten in trouble with law enforcement. and a lot of people don't want to be the bad guy that ratted out wacky Uncle Larry.

unless we start taking away a lot of individual rights and freedoms, it is going to be very hard to prevent these situations. It is really up to the families of the people involved to take some action. better to have Uncle Larry mad at you as opposed to getting interviewed on CNN after Uncle Larry has just shot up a mini-mall while wearing a tinfoil hat.
I agree with all of this, but I would probably take it one step further. If someone at least alerts authorities to someone who may appear to be a little off-kilter, and they can at least look into their activities. I would venture that many people, certainly not ALL, would be at least somewhat less likely to take action if they now knew that authorities were on to them as a possible nutjob. They don't even have to be "committed" to a facility, just at least being on the radar would wake up a few people.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
You provide links from a number of MSM sites and didnt see it!!!!

You, truly, are magic, shill pauli.

No obsession, shill. Note taking is a hobby.........
Honey? Have you seen my Gopher hole notebook? I'm trying to give a zinger to Wally, and let's see, ah yes, WALLACE!!!!!! Thanks hon!

Angry

Reaction score
This is kinda what I was wondering. If more people in the store were carrying, especially open carry, this would have ended infinitely quicker, if it got started at all.
I would add more people trained. A gun and a screwdriver are both lethal (if you need them to be) most people know how to use one and not the other.

howeda7

Reaction score
So a lot more people would pack heat at the grocery store if only guns and permits were a tad easier to get? That's the solution?

Wally

Reaction score
Ilhan showing yet another strawman in an attempt to downplay 10 people murdered in cold blood in Boulder and 6 people murdered in cold blood in Atlanta.
The young man in Atlanta is a self-identified Christian. The man in Boulder is a self-identified Muslim. All that means is that religion is not the cause of the evil. The evil is within humanity.

She wasn't downplaying anything. She is saying his religion shouldn't be the story which is exactly what you just said.

Wally

Reaction score
No need. My .308 is good enough for deer and any stalkers.

I have a lever action 300 savage. I don't think it will do in a Zombie apocalypse, I need at least a 30 shot clip just in case. Preferably a 100 round drum.

Last edited:

Angry

Reaction score
So a lot more people would pack heat at the grocery store if only guns and permits were a tad easier to get? That's the solution?
Like I said just training. I would be all for a high school class that involves marksmanship and de-escalation.

howeda7

Reaction score
I have a lever action 300 savage. I don't think it will do in a Zombie apocalypse, I need at keast a 30 shot clip just in case. Preferably a 100 round drum.
Stock up before Biden comes for your ammo!

cncmin

Reaction score
It certainly appears as if the shooter was a mental case. relatives describe him as paranoid and having apparent delusions of being followed,etc.

So, let's take this in a different direction:

If someone is nuts, should they be able to purchase a gun? I would say no. mental illness and firearms are a bad combination.

But - in a free society, how do you identify these people and red flag them before they buy a gun and start shooting? that is the real question and the tough question.

Unfortunately, the shooting is often the incident that causes the relatives and neighbors to come forward and say "there's something wrong with X."

So how to prevent it?

it would mean that relatives and friends would have to be much more pro-active. Still, it is difficult to have someone committed or evaluated without their consent, unless they have gotten in trouble with law enforcement. and a lot of people don't want to be the bad guy that ratted out wacky Uncle Larry.

unless we start taking away a lot of individual rights and freedoms, it is going to be very hard to prevent these situations. It is really up to the families of the people involved to take some action. better to have Uncle Larry mad at you as opposed to getting interviewed on CNN after Uncle Larry has just shot up a mini-mall while wearing a tinfoil hat.
You always post logical thought processes. Here is the main issue/counterpoint. Somehow, Japanese people have a ton of freedom, yet they don't have this same problem with mass murders. Why? Same can be said of every other Western country on earth. What makes us different than them? From what I know, it's ready access to guns and ammunition. Assuming that last sentence is true, then that is also likely the main source of the difference between us and every other "free" country on earth, and therefore that source should be examined for the potential of corrective measures.

cncmin

Reaction score
Stock up before Biden comes for your ammo!
I always tell my heavily-armed friends that when the S hits the fan, the ones with all the weapons will be the first to be attacked by the mob of crazies since they'll be the ones with all the goods the crazies need. Sure, an armed family is great against a few attackers, but at some point, no amount of guns will matter.

They disagree, of course.

Wally

Reaction score
I always tell my heavily-armed friends that when the S hits the fan, the ones with all the weapons will be the first to be attacked by the mob of crazies since they'll be the ones with all the goods the crazies need. Sure, an armed family is great against a few attackers, but at some point, no amount of guns will matter.

Flame thrower works good against a crowd.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Im

I’m guessing you are the main reason your friends became heavily-armed in the first place. I mean, they know that you know where they live and crazy is easy to spot.

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score

I'm glad I wasn't holding the other day. This woman darted in front of me and grabbed the last King's Hawaiian Bread.

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score

I'm thinking the guy that like TOTALLY OWNED that con doesn't understand how medical coverage works in Italy.

I have no idea if it's true or not but most likely the guy was flying to Italy to pay for someone that isn't covered by the socialized medicine. It's like driving 30 miles to get gas for 5 cents cheaper. It's cheaper there because their socialized healthcare doesn't cover a lot of stuff.

It's actually a great example of socialized medicine really does create a larger gap between the haves and the have-nots in terms of actual healthcare coverage for anything more than the basic.

Slim Tubby

Reaction score
This is kinda what I was wondering. If more people in the store were carrying, especially open carry, this would have ended infinitely quicker, if it got started at all.
I’m an avid hunter and value all of my firearms. Until someone can convince me that firearms can be kept away from criminals, I don’t know how you can justify taking them away from law abiding citizens. Fully and Semi automatic weapons are a different story but my argument for banning them leads me right back to the same conundrum.

Maybe the real reason the Gun Control debate is so hotly contested is that neither Party has the perfect solution. I sure as hell don’t.

Angry

Reaction score
Oh ic maybe we should do a ban on people from Syria.

Top Bottom