10 Most Important Bands in History

One other point regarding bands. Booker T & the M.G.s were, of course, a band; but their importance was creating the Stax/Volt sound as the studio band. I listed the Skatalites using that reasoning. Consistency is boring, I guess.

With me, my personal list keeps changing depending on the type of music I'm listening to. I've gone through phases where I was really into Motown, the Blues, Irish music, 60's music, a punk/new wave phase, and even a country/cow punk phase.

One question would be 'backing' bands. The Heartbreakers are a backing band to Tom Petty. the E Street Band is a backing band to Springsteen. Do you rate those groups the same as you would a group like the Beatles, the Stones or the Who?

but - some of my personal favorite groups, in no particular order:
Queen
The Band
The Who
Allman Brothers
the BoDeans (before Sammy got kicked out for being a perv....)
the Clash
the Alarm
The Grateful Dead
Blues Traveler
Pink Floyd
Backup bands? How about the studio musicians of the Wrecking Crew who laid the tracks and grooves for two decades of rock and roll hits. Carol Kaye may be the greatest bass player ever.

One other point regarding bands. Booker T & the M.G.s were, of course, a band; but their importance was creating the Stax/Volt sound as the studio band. I listed the Skatalites using that reasoning. Consistency is boring, I guess.
Yep. Consistency is impossible when it comes to any kind of top lists.

Booker T is a good mention. Stevie Wonder. R.E.M. fore sure belongs. U2. So many important bands/artists..

Backup bands? How about the studio musicians of the Wrecking Crew who laid the tracks and grooves for two decades of rock and roll hits. Carol Kaye may be the greatest bass player ever.

I assume you've seen the documentary on the Wrecking Crew? Great look inside the early rock-and-roll scene and how records were made in that era.

To me, the Wrecking Crew in it's multiple incarnations were never a performing band with a distinctive style. Same is true for most of the Brill Building studio musicians.

It's also an issue with the electric blues men of Chicago. Willie Dixon tended to put together studio musicians for the recordings which differed from the live bands.

To me, the Wrecking Crew in it's multiple incarnations were never a performing band with a distinctive style. Same is true for most of the Brill Building studio musicians.

It's also an issue with the electric blues men of Chicago. Willie Dixon tended to put together studio musicians for the recordings which differed from the live bands.
Understood. My point is that those studio musicians were the creative geniuses for many of the hits.

Huge influence on early rock n roll.

No love for Elvis yet..
If the list is “most important”, it’s the Beatles, Elvis….then everybody else.

Next tier is probably Hendrix and Rolling Stones.

As others have said, important means they either popularized an entire genre more or less on their own, or did something so different it had a profound effect (think Hendrix on the guitar). To that end, I’d put Nirvana, Hank Williams, and Chuck Berry somewhere on a top ten list of most important as well.

Last edited:

Understood. My point is that those studio musicians were the creative geniuses for many of the hits.
Yep. Many of us listed the Beach Boys; but obviously much of the innovation came from Brian Wilson collaborating with the LA session players.

Also, when listing studio aces we shouldn't forget the "Swampers" of Muscle Shoals Sound fame.

If the list is “most important”, it’s the Beatles, Elvis….then everybody else.

Next tier is probably Hendrix and Rolling Stones.

As others have said, important means they either popularized an entire genre more or less on their own, or did something so different it had a profound effect (think Hendrix on the guitar). To that end, I’d put Nirvana, Hank Williams, and Chuck Berry somewhere on a top ten list of most important as well.
For those mentioning Nirvana (+ Foo Fighters by proxy), Pearl Jam has to follow either together or the next sentence. Of course there's the geographic connection and massive crossover between fanbases. The Seattle scene that Nirvana cut their teeth on was also built up by Pearl Jams preceding bands (Green River/Mudhoney, Mother Love Bone, Soundgarden etc). To bolster Pearl Jams case is they are now in their 4th decade putting out relevant music with a fanbase that rivals the Grateful Dead.

They were built to last.

1st - I am not a big Stones fan, so take this with a grain of salt.

But, the Stones were part of several British bands with common origins - inspired by American blues musicians and evolved into a blues-rock style. the difference is that some groups were more blues based (Yardbirds) and others went in a more rock direction.

I would argue that Led Zep was more influential than the Stones, because Zep took the same blues roots and took it in a hard-rock direction that paved the way for Heavy Metal.

Likewise, the Who started out as more of a pop 'singles' band but evolved due to Townsend's songwriting and helped make the album the dominant format over singles, with a common theme and story running through all the songs.

on the Beach Boys (or Brian Wilson), all you have to say is that the Beatles recorded "Sgt Peppers" after "Pet Sounds" came out, as a response to what the Beach Boys (and Wilson) were doing.

1st - I am not a big Stones fan, so take this with a grain of salt.

But, the Stones were part of several British bands with common origins - inspired by American blues musicians and evolved into a blues-rock style. the difference is that some groups were more blues based (Yardbirds) and others went in a more rock direction.

I would argue that Led Zep was more influential than the Stones, because Zep took the same blues roots and took it in a hard-rock direction that paved the way for Heavy Metal.

Likewise, the Who started out as more of a pop 'singles' band but evolved due to Townsend's songwriting and helped make the album the dominant format over singles, with a common theme and story running through all the songs.

on the Beach Boys (or Brian Wilson), all you have to say is that the Beatles recorded "Sgt Peppers" after "Pet Sounds" came out, as a response to what the Beach Boys (and Wilson) were doing.
I would add Rush to this mix. Their 2112 album as a story telling was innovative and unique. Also Frank Zappa's mashing of jazz sounds with rock was brilliant.

I'm not even going to list the top ten because it is so subjective and would basically be a list of my favorite bands. The fact is that some came earlier than others. You can call them influences....but they don't own a style of music and lend it to those that came after.....so picking a bunch of 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's bands seems ingenuine. If "they came first" is really the qualifier....then maybe the list should include the indian drum circle, roman lyre man, and pan flute Greek.

I'm not even going to list the top ten because it is so subjective and would basically be a list of my favorite bands. The fact is that some came earlier than others. You can call them influences....but they don't own a style of music and lend it to those that came after.....so picking a bunch of 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's bands seems ingenuine. If "they came first" is really the qualifier....then maybe the list should include the indian drum circle, roman lyre man, and pan flute Greek.

Zamfir - most important Pan Flute player of all time.

(I don't know which commercials were funnier at 1:00AM with a buzz on - Zamfir or Slim Whitman....)

Important to whom, though? To a narrow band of 90s & 00s alt rock, sure. But what band today draws a clear influence from Nirvana?
Important to a lot of hs kids from the early 90's who needed an awakening from listening to The Cure, Run DMC, etc. haha! I get what you're saying, but where I grew up where radio was our main exposure to new groups (not concerts or clubs, etc.) Nirvana opened a lot of ears to a totally new music.

There is something to be said about being "first", but that is too simplistic. There were other singer/songwriters before Dylan, but his importance is just massive. Without him how much different would the Beatles Rubber Soul have been and everything after?

Dylan, McCartney & the Stones have now been relevant as musicians & performers/stadium draws in their SEVENTH decade. They play to fans not born in the 60s or even before their parents were alive.

There is something to be said about being "first", but that is too simplistic. There were other singer/songwriters before Dylan, but his importance is just massive. Without him how much different would the Beatles Rubber Soul have been and everything after?

Dylan, McCartney & the Stones have now been relevant as musicians & performers/stadium draws in their SEVENTH decade. They play to fans not born in the 60s or even before their parents were alive.

And I agree with you. My point is that people like Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly may have laid the groundwork for some of the artists that came afterwards.....but music has evolved so much since then. Would rock music today have looked a whole lot different without them? Even without some of the classic rock bands/artists that you mentioned? That's why this is just such a subjective idea....of "most important bands". Would those styles of music....would riff driven rock have ceased to exist? That said....I definitely think that I'd include The Beatles, Dylan, The Stones, and Led Zeppelin in my top ten. But I'm also in my early 30's.....and love 90's rock/grunge. So while I'd include Nirvana, The Smashing Pumpkins, Rage Against The Machine, and maybe even Incubus.....I could 100% see why others would scoff at those inclusions.

The Grateful Dead didn't just play concerts. They created multi-day events with its own subculture and economy. Few bands have such a devoted following. In my mind, they helped create the idea of a festival atmosphere rather than just a two hour concert. They hit mainstream in the late 80s with Touch of Grey and were selling out huge stadiums for 3 days of shows. I saw them all over, but the Vegas shows were probably the best. It was hot, the girls were dancing and smiling, it was GA on the Silver Bowl floor and everyone was happy and getting along. No fighting for space - everyone was respectful of others at their shows. The atmosphere couldn't be topped. Alpine Valley was a pretty great place to see this band that I had never paid much attention to on a whim for the first time. It took one show to get me hooked.

Last edited:

The Grateful Dead didn't just play concerts. They created multi-day events with its own subculture and economy. Few bands have such a devoted following. In my mind, they helped create the idea of a festival atmosphere rather than just a two hour concert. They hit mainstream in the late 80s with Touch of Grey and were selling out huge stadiums for 3 days of shows. I saw them all over, but the Vegas shows were probably the best. It was hot, the girls were dancing and smiling, it was GA on the Silver Bowl floor and everyone was happy and getting along. No fighting for space - everyone was respectful of others at their shows. The atmosphere couldn't be topped. Alpine Valley was a pretty great place to see this band that I had never paid much attention to on a whim for the first time. It took one show to get me hooked.
Most fun to be had at a concert for sure. I saw the late 80's shows (1986 on) and every one of them was great. The 90's shows felt different. Even though I never saw anything violent, or bad, it didn't have the carefree feel the 80's shows had. I saw them in Chicago most of the times. The Vegas venues sounded awesome.

Most fun to be had at a concert for sure. I saw the late 80's shows (1986 on) and every one of them was great. The 90's shows felt different. Even though I never saw anything violent, or bad, it didn't have the carefree feel the 80's shows had. I saw them in Chicago most of the times. The Vegas venues sounded awesome.

I was at the famous - or infamous - concert at the Metrodome in '86 with the Dead, Dylan and Tom Petty. Terrible sound system.

But the best part - the PA guy kept announcing "no smoking in the Metrodome." so much for that. by the end of the show, the Deadheads had turned the air in the building blue.

Also caught them at the St. Paul Civic Center in....I think....'81 or '82.

I was at the famous - or infamous - concert at the Metrodome in '86 with the Dead, Dylan and Tom Petty. Terrible sound system.

But the best part - the PA guy kept announcing "no smoking in the Metrodome." so much for that. by the end of the show, the Deadheads had turned the air in the building blue.

Also caught them at the St. Paul Civic Center in....I think....'81 or '82.
The sound was terrible, but I had a lot of fun.

I liked Alice in Chains better but I don't think they were more important.

I couldn't argue with anyone picking either. I lean Nirvana, but Alice In Chains in a great band as well. Dirt is a borderline top ten album of all time IMO. Obviously losing one half of the creative genius (Layne Staley) hit them....but taking ten years off, coming back with a new singer who sounds almost identical to Staley, and still being able to create some excellent music is a testament to Jerry Cantrell.

The Everly Brothers were not mentioned as far as I can tell, but with the recent passing of Don Everly they for sure deserve mention. Their influence was undeniable on the Beach Boys, Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel.

The Everly Brothers were not mentioned as far as I can tell, but with the recent passing of Don Everly they for sure deserve mention. Their influence was undeniable on the Beach Boys, Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel.

Plus, you don't get more punk than this:

The Everly Brothers are the Billboard Hot 100's most successful American rock duo of all time, but that doesn't mean they haven't had their share of drama. In 1973, during a show in Hollywood, the brothers were in the middle of their set when the venue's manager came on stage to alert the crowd that the show had been cancelled due to Don Everly being "too emotional" to play. In reality, Don was too drunk to remember the lyrics and guitar parts to the songs. His skipped notes and forgotten lyrics enraged his brother Phil, who proceeded to smash his guitar mid-show and storm out of the building, promising he would "never get on stage with that man again".

Plus, you don't get more punk than this:

Interesting the number of acts featuring brothers that wound up despising each other, which was mentioned on Tony Kornheiser's podcast today. In addition to the Everly's, TK mentioned the Fogertys (CCR) and the Davies (Kinks) wound up feuding.

I'll add more recently the Robinsons (Black Crowes) and Gallaghers (Oasis).

Top Bottom