1 burning question for every Big Ten team in 2023

nitramnaed

Reaction score
Per Hickey:

It is August, and that means it is time for football training camps to begin across the Big Ten.

For some teams there are camp-specific questions.

Who will win the quarterback battle at Ohio State, etc.

But for the most part, camp isn’t about immediate answers. August provides the blueprint for how questions will be answered in the 3 months that follow.

These are the most burning questions facing each Big Ten team heading into the 2023 season.

Minnesota: Are the Gophers really airing it out?​

With no mo’ Mo in the backfield, Minnesota’s offensive identity is no longer built around bludgeoning opponents on the ground. PJ Fleck says the Gophers are prepared to build around the arm of sophomore quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis and a talented group of pass catchers.

Based on the personnel, it makes sense. But given Minnesota’s prior identity under Fleck, it’ll take seeing to believe it.

I get why people have takes like this based on the offense the past few seasons......but.....it is like they have completely forgotten about 2019 which was also under Fleck and featured one of the top passing offenses in the league with over 3000 yards passing.

It's almost like they build the offense around the best players and the past few years Mo (and the other RB) were clearly the best weapons on offense while the WR/QB group was struggling to move the ball through the air.

Enter 2023 with a QB with a ton of arm talent and what looks like a really deep group of WR. It is easy to say Minnesota doesn't throw the ball.....but I won't be shocked one bit if we see a much more wide open offense because I believe Fleck and the coaches understand that you use the weapons you have. And for 2023 it looks like we have a lot of weapons at WR to go with a QB that can get them the ball.

I think there's a really good chance of the first 5 being a lot of caveman ball on offense.
The Gophers will choose to slowly strangle their foes every time if they can work it.
The last 7 games include 5 Top 25 run defenses from last year, and 4 of the top 15.

2022 Rushing Defensive Rank
Nebraska #109
Eastern MI #74
UNC #86
Louisiana #54
Northwestern #110

I think there's a really good chance of the first 5 being a lot of caveman ball on offense.
The Gophers will choose to slowly strangle their foes every time if they can work it.
The last 7 games include 5 Top 25 run defenses from last year, and 4 of the top 15.

2022 Rushing Defensive Rank
Nebraska #109
Eastern MI #74
UNC #86
Louisiana #54
Northwestern #110
All had pretty bad scoring defenses as well, with UNC bringing up the rear at #102. UNC was even worse at total defense, ranking #116.

UNC's defense (total and scoring) was worse than Mich State last year. Let that sink in. That's why I am confident Gophs win.

As long as we move up one spot from our previous ratio of run/pass we’ll be technically airing it out more

Coach has already said we're going to run the ball. Sounds like he knows something...:p

I really think PJ is a conservative coach that wants to run the ball at heart. Even in 2019 we had a large gap in our run to pass ratio.

Top Bottom