🏈 California adds girls flag football

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I think it's only a matter of time before states add this for boys as well...while my kids aren't involved in FF, I know many who are and it's becoming much more competitive.

Per Axios Sports:

The California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) unanimously approved a measure on Friday to make girls flag football a high school sport beginning this fall, Jeff writes.

Why it matters: Flag's growth is a boon not only for the girls who'll get more opportunities to play, but also for the behemoth organization that tends to have its fingerprints on anything football-related: the NFL.
  • The NFL's three California-based teams supported the CIF's push to get flag sanctioned. And why wouldn't they? More people playing football — of any kind — is good for business.
  • This news also came just days before flag football made its Pro Bowl debut, part of the league's broader goal to get flag included in the 2028 Olympics.
By the numbers: California is the eighth state to sanction girls flag football as a high school sport, joining Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Nevada and New York.

• The number of girls playing flag football in U.S. high schools doubled to 11,209 in the decade leading to 2018-19.
  • Since then, it has increased an additional 40% to 15,716 participants, per the National Federation of State High School Associations.
The last word: "I don't really think everybody understands how big this thing is going to be," one girls club flag football coach told the LA Times ($). "I'm going to kind of compare this to the U.S. women's soccer [surge] years ago. … I think it's going to be wildfire."

Go Gophers!!

So ... it's ultimate Frisbee, with a football.
A few weeks ago, I was at a MIAC basketball game and the gym is connected to the field house. I could see before the basketball game started there were Ultimate Frisbee players, loosening up and flinging them around.

At halftime of the basketball game they were doing full on running, agility drills...rugged dry land stuff I would think hockey, soccer or football teams to do. After the game I check in again and they were doing plays, breakouts with coaches/captains that was actually pretty impressive to me. It was as rah, rah as any other sport I have seen with coaches whistles and motivating.

That's really my only Ultimate Frisbee exposure ever, but not at all what I would have envisioned.

Last edited:

Top Bottom