‘U’ Search Firm To Begin Meeting With AD Candidates Next Week

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per WCCO:

Turnkey Search, the national search firm hired by the University of Minnesota to identify and vet candidates to be the next Gophers athletics director, has begun reaching out to candidates, two sources told WCCO.

The firm will begin vetting candidates in the Midwest and East during in-person meetings next week, according to a source.

Beth Goetz, who has been Minnesota’s interim athletic director since Norwood Teague resigned in August in the midst of a sexual harassment scandal, is viewed by many as the frontrunner for the permanent job.

Other candidates expected to be targeted for consideration, according to multiple sources, include:

Bill Robertson, the current commissioner of the WCHA, is one name that seems to be gaining support, with a number of boosters and influential alumni pushing for him to receive serious consideration, sources said. The Cretin-Derham Hall graduate and St. Paul native has Minnesota ties, experience with college sports and is “well-known and well-connected” in the state’s business community, sources said. Robertson has previously worked for the Wild, Timberwolves, Anaheim Angels and Anaheim Ducks.

Former Gophers linebacker and current Wall Street stockbroker Pete Najarian is also a popular candidate among those who want someone with Minnesota connections. His supporters say his financial sensibility would be a major benefit, and believe he would have no trouble invigorating enthusiasm among donors. Those factors would make up for his lack of experience in college sports administration, sources said.

Another target, according to sources, is Phil Esten, the deputy athletics director at Penn State. He was formerly at Minnesota in various roles: president and CEO of the University of Minnesota Alumni Association, six years as an associate athletic director and the point person on the University’s construction of TCF Bank Stadium, where he was instrumental in fundraising for that project.

Tom Wistrcill, who joined college media and marketing company Learfield Sports as an executive in June, is a target as well, according to a source. Wistrcill was the athletic director at Akron for six years, and was a senior associate athletic director at Minnesota under Joel Maturi.

Miami athletic director Blake James, who has ties to Minnesota and experience running a major athletic department, is expected to receive consideration, sources said, but might be a longshot considering his current position.

Former Gophers football player Bob Stein, who was president of the Timberwolves for 18 years, is a name multiple sources would like to see considered, as is Minnesota graduate Craig Thompson, the commissioner of the Mountain West conference for the last 17 years.

While lacking ties to Minnesota, Northern Illinois athletic director Sean Frazier has a level of experience that is appealing, sources said. He has held that position at Northern Illinois since 2013. Before that, he was deputy director of athletics at Wisconsin – No. 2 only to Barry Alvarez – and oversaw all fundraising. He’s also been an athletic director at Merrimack, Clarkson and Manhattanville. He was a finalist at Rutgers and Illinois in their recent athletic director searches.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/04/15/u-of-m-ad-search-begins/

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

A little birdie says the Gophers’ Turnkey national athletics director search firm will vet some candidates this week on the East Coast. The hire isn’t expected until this summer.

Meanwhile, Michigan (Warde Manuel), Illinois (Josh Whitman) and USC (Lynn Swann) each have named former football players from their respective schools as athletics directors since January.

Gophers AD candidate Pete Najarian, the ex-Gophers linebacker, is in Nebraska this weekend as a guest of legendary former Cornhuskers football coach and AD Tom Osborne to discuss machinations of Division I athletics departments. He was to attend Nebraska’s spring game with Osborne.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/04/16/charley-walters-twins-byron-buxton-hasnt-lost-his-confidence/

Go Gophers!!

Meanwhile, Michigan (Warde Manuel), Illinois (Josh Whitman) and USC (Lynn Swann) each have named former football players from their respective schools as athletics directors since January.

So this pretty much ensures that our next AD will be a former professor of women's studies.

If we go in another direction I want Esten. Had him for a professor a few years back good guy

Nice of Shooter to act as Najarian's press agent by publicizing his trip to Nebraska. The more Najarian campaigns for the job, the less I want him to get it.

I'd be ecstatic with any of those candidates. Esten, Frazier, Nagarian, and the Mtn West commish all have interesting experience and qualities. We're going to hire Beth though, I have no doubt.

Multiple sources do not want Bob Stein. He has no shot.

I'd like to see Pete, Frazier sounds like he is pretty well educated on how to be an AD and should know how to raise funds. I like these guys better than Esten and the stench of Penn State.

I'd like to see Pete, Frazier sounds like he is pretty well educated on how to be an AD and should know how to raise funds. I like these guys better than Esten and the stench of Penn State.

Esten helped keep PSU athletics strong when it faced the prospect of becoming a potential dumpster fire and played a big role in getting TCF Bank Stadium built when he was an assistant AD here. But let's disregard him due to something he had absolutely no part in. Makes sense.

When all of that went down at Penn State, Esten was still at the U, he was one of my sport management professors that year, in fact I remember as a class we had a pretty good discussion that Monday after. Phil's a good dude, I think boosters would love him and he was by far my favorite teacher. It's not often you get to pick the brain of an Associate AD

Esten helped keep PSU athletics strong when it faced the prospect of becoming a potential dumpster fire and played a big role in getting TCF Bank Stadium built when he was an assistant AD here. But let's disregard him due to something he had absolutely no part in. Makes sense.

No, you don't understand. I just REALLY HATE Penn State! I could care less about the pedophile ex-coach piece of crap and their cover-up.

Otis' most hated B1G teams:
1. Iowa
2. Wisconsin
3. Penn State
4. Michigan
After that, I am ambivalent.

So, the associate AD at PST would be a great hire, but the associate AD at the U would just be a PC hire? OK, got it...... Which one is a guy? Oh, never mind, I can make a guess....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, the associate AD at PST would be a great hire, but the associate AD at the U would just be a PC hire? OK, got it...... Which one is a guy? Oh, never mind, I can make a guess....

They have the same experience?

Does anyone believe if we pass on Beth that she's going to move on and become a great power 5 AD? I don't see that playing out and thus I don't think we'll ever feel like we missed missed out by not hiring her.

Top Bottom