‘A Menace to Public Health’: Doctors Demand Spotify Puts an End to Covid Lies on ‘Joe Rogan Experience’

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
To juicy to pass up as he is the man crush of so many of our beloved snowflake clowns on here, especially 'Forkin. But what do these people know they're only trained non-internet physicians. A self-aggrandizer like Mr. Rogan deserves his own thread obviously. I have many flaws, but thank the Good Lord, I don't have the hubris to trust a former crappy standup comic or anonymous chatboard for my medical advice.

As an infectious disease epidemiologist and research fellow at Boston’s Children’s Hospital who debunks health misinformation on Instagram —where she has more than 380,000 followers — Jessica Malaty Rivera regularly receives tips from her followers about viral content to debunk. A few weeks ago, her followers started sending her a link to an episode of the Joe Rogan Experience, the most popular podcast in the world. The episode was an interview with Dr. Robert Malone, a virologist who touts himself as one of the architects of mRNA technology.

Rivera was familiar with Rogan, as well as Malone. She knew that Malone had been banned from Twitter for promoting Covid-19 misinformation, and that he had been making the rounds in conservative media circles undermining the efficacy of the vaccine. When she watched the interview, she was horrified to see that he espoused various conspiratorial and baseless beliefs, from the idea that “mass formation psychosis” is responsible for people believing in the efficacy of vaccines; to the claim popular among anti-vaxxers that hospitals are financially incentivized to falsely diagnose Covid-19 deaths. The episode featuring Malone went viral, and was shared widely in right-wing media circles as well as on Facebook, where the link on Spotify has been shared nearly 25,000 times, according to CrowdTangle data.

Yet Rivera was even more horrified to discover that people in her life, whom she considered to be “quite wise and discerning,” were hoodwinked by Malone’s patina of academic credibility, considering his views on the vaccine legitimate. “When I saw they were falling victim to this, I spoke to some colleagues and we said something has to be done at this point,” she says.

Rivera is one of 270 doctors, physicians, and science educators who signed an open letter calling on Spotify, which obtained exclusively streaming rights to the Joe Rogan Experience in a reported $100 million deal, to take action against misinformation on the platform, such as that contained in the interview with Malone. “With an estimated 11 million listeners per episode, JRE, which is hosted exclusively on Spotify, is the world’s largest podcast and has tremendous influence,” the letter reads. “Spotify has a responsibility to mitigate the spread of misinformation on its platform, though the company presently has no misinformation policy.”

The letter was initially appended with a lengthy fact-check of all of the claims presented in Malone’s interview with Rogan, from the “mass formation psychosis” supposition to Malone’s claim that the Biden administration is suppressing evidence supporting the efficacy of ivermectin as a Covid-19 treatment. “People who don’t have the scientific or medical background to recognize the things he’s saying are not true and are unable to distinguish fact from fiction are going to believe what [Malone is] saying, and this is the biggest podcast in the world. And that’s terrifying,” says Dr. Ben Rein, a neuroscientist at Stanford University who co-authored the letter with Rivera and other doctors and educators.

The Malone segment is far from the first time Rogan has been accused of platforming misinformation on his podcast. In an April 23, 2021 episode, for instance, Rogan actively discouraged young people from getting the vaccine, saying in a conversation with comedian Dave Smith, “if you’re like 21 years old, and you say to me, ‘Should I get vaccinated?’ I’ll go no.'”

Rogan has also promoted taking ivermectin to treat Covid-19 symptoms, despite the fact that there is no evidence to support ivermectin’s efficacy as a treatment and that ingesting it can lead to such side effects as dizziness and uncontrolled vomiting. “This doctor was saying ivermectin is 99 percent effective intreating Covid, but you don’t hear about it because you can’t fund vaccines when it’s an effective treatment,” he said on the same April episode of his podcast, as Rolling Stone previously reported. “I don’t know if this guy is right or wrong. I’m just asking questions.” Rogan has also platformed many discredited physicians and academics who have spoken out against the vaccine, such as Dr. Peter McCullough, a cardiologist who inaccurately claimed that COVID-19 vaccines are “experimental” and that the pandemic was “planned.”

Katrine Wallace, PhD, an epidemiologist at University of Illinois Chicago School of Public Health, says that she considers Rogan “a menace to public health” for continuously platforming anti-vaccine ideology to his enormous audience. “Having things like this on the Joe Rogan podcast gives a platform to these people and makes it a false balance. This is what really bothers me,” she tells Rolling Stone. “These are fringe ideas not backed in science, and having it on a huge platform makes it seem there are two sides to this issue. And there are really not. The overwhelming evidence is the vaccine works, and it is safe.”

Although many have criticized Spotify for hosting Rogan on its platform, the open letter to Spotify does not request that Rogan’s show be taken off Spotify, nor does it demand that Spotify remove the Malone episode in particular. Rather, it is calling on Spotify to develop a comprehensive policy prohibiting misinformation. “Any podcast that platforms dangerous people, people spreading dangerous ideas and misinformation, should not be allowed to go unchecked on the Spotify platform,” says Abbie Richards, a researcher specializing in misinformation. Richards gave Rein the idea of penning an open letter to Spotify when he approached her with his concerns over the Malone episode. “We’re not focused on something as small as just one episode or Rogan. They need to implement a policy and carry it out.”

Though Spotify does not appear to have a clear policy regarding misinformation in its terms of service, in the past the platform has removed episodes containing misinformation regarding vaccines. “Spotify prohibits content on the platform which promotes dangerous false, deceptive, or misleading content about Covid-19 that may cause offline harm and/or pose a direct threat to public health. When content that violates this standard is identified it is removed from the platform,” it said in a statement to the Verge last April. But it has been reluctant to take action against Rogan’s podcast, which reaches an estimated 11 million people per episode; nor does it include a warning label regarding potential misinformation on any podcast episodes. Spotify did not immediately return Rolling Stone‘s requests for comment.

Considering the size of Rogan’s audience, as well as the staggering reported value of his contract with the platform, not everyone involved with the open letter is convinced that Spotify will ever be willing to take a stand on his content. Yet Rivera believes Spotify has an enormous ethical obligation to do so. “Considering their role in society is disseminating content, there is a responsibility in a global public health emergency to not exacerbate the problem,” she says. “We have an infodemic going on that is prolonging the pandemic and it is causing people to make bad choices and actually die. These are preventable illnesses that folks like Joe Rogan and Dr. Robert Malone are directly responsible for.”

Last edited:

Wally

Reaction score
I just quit listening because I don't want to listen to Covid over and over and over. Covid wrecked Rogan. I used to love his podcast but it turned into a broken record.

I have been listening to Ben Liebers podcast on iHeartRadio, he has some really good guests. Check it out.

PeoplesFront

Reaction score
Toe Rogaine crushes the DNC controlled MSM in viewership and is guilty of daring to challenge and question the ever-changing narrative coming from the cdc. And they can’t do anything to stop him. LMAO!

rh19zszr5e681.jpg

DKigzbKZ7aMjuVIPJptNzo04YCU7_w9Owy0tKBiLLlk.jpg

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
To juicy to pass up as he is the man crush of so many of our beloved snowflake clowns on here, especially 'Forkin. But what do these people know they're only trained non-internet physicians. A self-aggrandizer like Mr. Rogan deserves his own thread obviously. I have many flaws, but thank the Good Lord, I don't have the hubris to trust a former crappy standup comic or anonymous chatboard for my medical advice.

As an infectious disease epidemiologist and research fellow at Boston’s Children’s Hospital who debunks health misinformation on Instagram —where she has more than 380,000 followers — Jessica Malaty Rivera regularly receives tips from her followers about viral content to debunk. A few weeks ago, her followers started sending her a link to an episode of the Joe Rogan Experience, the most popular podcast in the world. The episode was an interview with Dr. Robert Malone, a virologist who touts himself as one of the architects of mRNA technology.

Rivera was familiar with Rogan, as well as Malone. She knew that Malone had been banned from Twitter for promoting Covid-19 misinformation, and that he had been making the rounds in conservative media circles undermining the efficacy of the vaccine. When she watched the interview, she was horrified to see that he espoused various conspiratorial and baseless beliefs, from the idea that “mass formation psychosis” is responsible for people believing in the efficacy of vaccines; to the claim popular among anti-vaxxers that hospitals are financially incentivized to falsely diagnose Covid-19 deaths. The episode featuring Malone went viral, and was shared widely in right-wing media circles as well as on Facebook, where the link on Spotify has been shared nearly 25,000 times, according to CrowdTangle data.

Yet Rivera was even more horrified to discover that people in her life, whom she considered to be “quite wise and discerning,” were hoodwinked by Malone’s patina of academic credibility, considering his views on the vaccine legitimate. “When I saw they were falling victim to this, I spoke to some colleagues and we said something has to be done at this point,” she says.

Rivera is one of 270 doctors, physicians, and science educators who signed an open letter calling on Spotify, which obtained exclusively streaming rights to the Joe Rogan Experience in a reported $100 million deal, to take action against misinformation on the platform, such as that contained in the interview with Malone. “With an estimated 11 million listeners per episode, JRE, which is hosted exclusively on Spotify, is the world’s largest podcast and has tremendous influence,” the letter reads. “Spotify has a responsibility to mitigate the spread of misinformation on its platform, though the company presently has no misinformation policy.”

The letter was initially appended with a lengthy fact-check of all of the claims presented in Malone’s interview with Rogan, from the “mass formation psychosis” supposition to Malone’s claim that the Biden administration is suppressing evidence supporting the efficacy of ivermectin as a Covid-19 treatment. “People who don’t have the scientific or medical background to recognize the things he’s saying are not true and are unable to distinguish fact from fiction are going to believe what [Malone is] saying, and this is the biggest podcast in the world. And that’s terrifying,” says Dr. Ben Rein, a neuroscientist at Stanford University who co-authored the letter with Rivera and other doctors and educators.

The Malone segment is far from the first time Rogan has been accused of platforming misinformation on his podcast. In an April 23, 2021 episode, for instance, Rogan actively discouraged young people from getting the vaccine, saying in a conversation with comedian Dave Smith, “if you’re like 21 years old, and you say to me, ‘Should I get vaccinated?’ I’ll go no.'”

Rogan has also promoted taking ivermectin to treat Covid-19 symptoms, despite the fact that there is no evidence to support ivermectin’s efficacy as a treatment and that ingesting it can lead to such side effects as dizziness and uncontrolled vomiting. “This doctor was saying ivermectin is 99 percent effective intreating Covid, but you don’t hear about it because you can’t fund vaccines when it’s an effective treatment,” he said on the same April episode of his podcast, as Rolling Stone previously reported. “I don’t know if this guy is right or wrong. I’m just asking questions.” Rogan has also platformed many discredited physicians and academics who have spoken out against the vaccine, such as Dr. Peter McCullough, a cardiologist who inaccurately claimed that COVID-19 vaccines are “experimental” and that the pandemic was “planned.”

Katrine Wallace, PhD, an epidemiologist at University of Illinois Chicago School of Public Health, says that she considers Rogan “a menace to public health” for continuously platforming anti-vaccine ideology to his enormous audience. “Having things like this on the Joe Rogan podcast gives a platform to these people and makes it a false balance. This is what really bothers me,” she tells Rolling Stone. “These are fringe ideas not backed in science, and having it on a huge platform makes it seem there are two sides to this issue. And there are really not. The overwhelming evidence is the vaccine works, and it is safe.”

Although many have criticized Spotify for hosting Rogan on its platform, the open letter to Spotify does not request that Rogan’s show be taken off Spotify, nor does it demand that Spotify remove the Malone episode in particular. Rather, it is calling on Spotify to develop a comprehensive policy prohibiting misinformation. “Any podcast that platforms dangerous people, people spreading dangerous ideas and misinformation, should not be allowed to go unchecked on the Spotify platform,” says Abbie Richards, a researcher specializing in misinformation. Richards gave Rein the idea of penning an open letter to Spotify when he approached her with his concerns over the Malone episode. “We’re not focused on something as small as just one episode or Rogan. They need to implement a policy and carry it out.”

Though Spotify does not appear to have a clear policy regarding misinformation in its terms of service, in the past the platform has removed episodes containing misinformation regarding vaccines. “Spotify prohibits content on the platform which promotes dangerous false, deceptive, or misleading content about Covid-19 that may cause offline harm and/or pose a direct threat to public health. When content that violates this standard is identified it is removed from the platform,” it said in a statement to the Verge last April. But it has been reluctant to take action against Rogan’s podcast, which reaches an estimated 11 million people per episode; nor does it include a warning label regarding potential misinformation on any podcast episodes. Spotify did not immediately return Rolling Stone‘s requests for comment.

Considering the size of Rogan’s audience, as well as the staggering reported value of his contract with the platform, not everyone involved with the open letter is convinced that Spotify will ever be willing to take a stand on his content. Yet Rivera believes Spotify has an enormous ethical obligation to do so. “Considering their role in society is disseminating content, there is a responsibility in a global public health emergency to not exacerbate the problem,” she says. “We have an infodemic going on that is prolonging the pandemic and it is causing people to make bad choices and actually die. These are preventable illnesses that folks like Joe Rogan and Dr. Robert Malone are directly responsible for.”

This article is hilariously inaccurate, as expected.

I'm sure 'fact checkers' say it's true though.

PeoplesFront

Reaction score
Censorship is wrong plain and simple
It’s all they got. How many times have the “experts” been guilty of peddling misinformation? Yet, there are never calls to silence Walensky, Fauci, et al.

Also, Peter McCullough has an open invitation and purse of $1 million to give to anyone willing to have a long-form debate with him. That sounds like a tremendous opportunity for Dr. Rivera from the article above to shut down all the misinformation that he spews.

Yet, she and many others won’t though. Why? That’s passing up an easy million dollars that can be used to donate to Boston Children’s. LOL!

golf

Reaction score
Rogan is really good and about as close to nonpartisan as they come these days.

Gupta did his best to deflect but Rogan kept after him like a bulldog. Finally Gupta had to admit cnn was wrong.

If anyone deserves the insane amount of money he makes, it is probably Joe.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Toe Rogaine crushes the DNC controlled MSM in viewership and is guilty of daring to challenge and question the ever-changing narrative coming from the cdc. And they can’t do anything to stop him. LMAO!

rh19zszr5e681.jpg

DKigzbKZ7aMjuVIPJptNzo04YCU7_w9Owy0tKBiLLlk.jpg
Toe Rogan - your pet name for him to satsify your foot fetish?
In your dreams, are they hairy little buggers which you floss your teeth with while you suckle those piggies?

And no one F's with Big Bird either.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
This article is hilariously inaccurate, as expected.

I'm sure 'fact checkers' say it's true though.
Of course anyone can post that whilst not correcting it and sharing their ginormous big brain and vast knowledge with the class.
Even more delicious is the irony of a "weather man" talking about inaccuracies.
Keep up the good work Brick!

PeoplesFront

Reaction score
Of course anyone can post that whilst not correcting it and sharing their ginormous big brain and vast knowledge with the class.
Even more delicious is the irony of a "weather man" talking about inaccuracies.
Keep up the good work Brick!
LMAO! Like Dr. Rivera did in the open letter? She surely used links to scientific literature to debunk, right? Nah, she corrected the record by hyperlinking articles from big hitters such as The Independent, Rolling Stone, and Politifact.

I truly hope Joe invites her onto the podcast. Sadly, she will decline.

Blizzard

Reaction score
Another stupid thread, go figure.

Here's the problem: All of the Dr.'s are still talking over each other. What would be interesting would be to get some of them in the same room for respectful, controlled debate. I follow one of the Dr's from the Mayo on twitter. Brilliant Dr. and scientist to be sure. He's always spouting off about Dr. Jay Bhattacharya. I was so bold as to suggest that he tweet at him directly, perhaps call him and settle a few questions to see exactly where they disagree and even, maybe, agree. I'd like to see Fauci and Scott Atlas debate. I'd like to see the TV Doctor Pundits hash it out and maybe the CDC wench as well.

kg21

Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would listen to Rogan when you can tune in to Fauci on a daily basis. Stick with the experts like Fauci.

Wally

Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would listen to Rogan when you can tune in to Fauci on a daily basis. Stick with the experts like Fauci.

I get an overload of Covid crying here, definitely don't need more from either side.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Joe has had amazing success, and good for him. Monetizing internet content is very difficult.

That said, I am shocked at the number of male millenials I work with who equate "heard on Rogan" as equal to "this is a fact".

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
LMAO! Like Dr. Rivera did in the open letter? She surely used links to scientific literature to debunk, right? Nah, she corrected the record by hyperlinking articles from big hitters such as The Independent, Rolling Stone, and Politifact.

I truly hope Joe invites her onto the podcast. Sadly, she will decline.
love that you didn't refute my to sucking hypothesis🥰

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Joe has had amazing success, and good for him. Monetizing internet content is very difficult.

That said, I am shocked at the number of male millenials I work with who equate "heard on Rogan" as equal to "this is a fact".
Including several on here...he is thier American Idol - loud, opinionated, roid blowhard who blabbers for a living like some many of them on here

bga1

Reaction score

This of course turns right back at you with the MSM. The difference? Rogan is an independent thinker who invites discourse. The MSM is bought and paid for and battles against discourse.
The dishonesty of the MSM creates a truth vacuum that invites people like Rogan to fill. People are not saying that whatever they hear on Rogan is true. What they are saying is that it is refreshing to hear free thought.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
This of course turns right back at you with the MSM. The difference? Rogan is an independent thinker who invites discourse. The MSM is bought and paid for and battles against discourse.
The dishonesty of the MSM creates a truth vacuum that invites people like Rogan to fill. People are not saying that whatever they hear on Rogan is true. What they are saying is that it is refreshing to hear free thought.
I agree with most of that. It's the marketplace working, I said that above. It's closer to 4 chan than Walter Cronkite, though. You have to weed through it.

bga1

Reaction score
I agree with most of that. It's the marketplace working, I said that above. It's closer to 4 chan than Walter Cronkite, though. You have to weed through it.
I have never been on 4 chan but I will take your word for it. I trust the MSM for non-political stories. The rest is pure trash. The left can pay for any narrative they want- which of course is why the media has been wrong so very often in the past many years on major stories. As I said yesterday and you didn't respond (which is fine) they create a narrative that is the "simple explanation" for what they want you to believe. They repeat it over and over and over again and they validate each other making one think it has to be true. But those simple explanations have been wrong more often than not...because it is not news. It's propaganda.

If you don't see an original source with names- don't trust it. In this age- the truth requires lots of work. If we fail to do it- we lose our freedom in this decade and our families will lose it right with us.

Blizzard

Reaction score
they create a narrative that is the "simple explanation" for what they want you to believe. They repeat it over and over and over again and they validate each other making one think it has to be true.

That's the Ben Rhodes echo chamber. The one that he bragged about creating and remarked he couldn't believe we were so stupid as to accept it. The Obama years. Fun stuff.

golf

Reaction score
L

Imagine the ratings of a rogan-fauci discussion. Fauci would never accept such an invitation, not after seeing what happened to Gupta. More of a chance that Joy Reid accepts the invitation of Winsome Sears, which will also never happen.

I know there was some talk about rogan moderating presidential debate as well, interesting. Very interesting. Candidates had better be prepared.

golf

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong as I watch rogan inconsistently, but rogan wasn't a fan of trump especially early in his presidency. As time went on, rogan started noticing bad things from dems/media and called them out. I still never got the impression that rogan was a trump fan, though.

Anyway, one of my fave examples of rogan speaking truth to power was when a white house press corps member asked if Kayleigh McEnany was going to apologize for something. As only Kayleigh can, she responded by asking if the following "news" outlets would apologize for saying the following:

"The coronavirus will not be a deadly pandemic." Vox
Fear of the virus might be spreading faster than the virus itself.".NYT
"The flu was a much bigger threat than the coronavirus." NPR
"The government should not respond aggressively to the coronavirus." WaPo

Dems/media can usually drown out the truth, but rogan is a different ballgame because of his reach and because he is smarter than them. Gupta and cnn learned that lesson the hard way.

(Linked below are the videos mentioned above if anyone has not yet viewed them. )

Last edited:

Spoofin

Reaction score

I know a message board where people equate “heard it from random Twitter post” to “this is fact”. Funny thing is, they liked your post 🤷‍♂️

Spoofin

Reaction score
Including several on here...he is thier American Idol - loud, opinionated, roid blowhard who blabbers for a living like some many of them on here
You forgot right wing shock jock.

Top Bottom