Twins/Vikings/Wild/Wolves Championship appearance drought tracker

The women’s hockey team can win a championship still. They only lost at home in double overtime tonight so I’m sure there will be no hang over for the next game.

The women’s hockey team can win a championship still. They only lost at home in double overtime tonight so I’m sure there will be no hang over for the next game.
Man did they have their chances to win that thing though. I knew damn well their goal would be called off for goalie interference. Told the wife now watch Boston score here soon. 2 minutes later boom. Game over

Assuming the Wolves don't make a historic comeback, this will be 8 losses without a win for these 4 teams in their conference/league finals since this streak began.

Vikings 0-4
Wolves 0-2
Wild 0-1
Twins 0-1

Assuming the Wolves don't make a historic comeback, this will be 8 losses without a win for these 4 teams in their conference/league finals since this streak began.

Vikings 0-4
Wolves 0-2
Wild 0-1
Twins 0-1
Just that in itself is remarkable. Assuming a roughly 50/50 chance of winning such a game, that's upwards of 250-to-1 randomized odds against that happening.

Vikings 0-4
Wolves 0-2
Wild 0-1
Twins 0-1
Just that in itself is remarkable. Assuming a roughly 50/50 chance of winning such a game, that's upwards of 250-to-1 randomized odds against that happening.
Adding to the improbability is that all 4 of the Series (+ '98 Vikes) the Wolves, Wild & Twins had Home Court/Ice/Field advantage.

Only the Twins even had a series lead, taking G1 in 2002 against the Angels.

Let's just retire this thread. In my mind, the pro championship drought is now zero.

Let's just retire this thread. In my mind, the pro championship drought is now zero.
That's fine for you but the majority of sports fans in MN care significantly more about the big 4. It's cool that the Lynx had their run and the women's hockey team won it all. They're not even close to the same level though to most people. Not to take away from the women's hockey team but they won a league with 6 teams in it.

Back to the streak, I saw on Twitter that if you include the NJ teams as part of NYC Metro Area, that they are at 110 combined seasons and growing fast given how many teams they have. Crazy to think that's true for NY market, but I didn't look into it enough to verify.

Go Gophers!!

Even though we established that the 110 Streak Number referred to an actual Title drought in NY-NJ, not just a Championship appearance, with the Rangers getting bounced tonight, the 5 NBA-NHL franchises made up some solid ground on the TC teams.

Rather impressive for Florida to get to the Stanley Cup Final back-to-back.

This streak has proven to be formidable. As God is my witness, I thought this thing was in the grave once the Wolves got past Denver, but the streak has been there before and knew what to do. It has had an answer for everything.

Besides the 0-8 record in semifinal rounds, another remarkable thing is how many good-to-great teams there have been in this period. The '98 Vikings were as good as or even better than the Vikes' Super Bowl teams. The '04 Wolves were the #1 seed. The '06 Twins were as talented as either of the champions in '87 and '91 but got swept out of the first round (while the team they beat out for the division title advanced to the World Series; how's that for indignity?!).

With the Wolves seemingly built for multiyear success (top players under contract or option for multiple years), they might end up making multiple runs at this streak. Or not. As Jerry Burns said after the Vikings lost to the Redskins in the NFC title game, it's not like they line you up at the goal line next year to run that play again late in the 4th quarter for the conference title. You have to earn your way back to that opportunity. Burns and his subsequent teams never did.

Last edited:

Top Bottom