Gopher Softball 2024

I'm convinced Allister would have taken MN as far as she's taken Stanford, if she'd had the loyalty to stay with the MN program she was building, but who knows what lack of support she was given by the MN athletic program & Administration. I'm guessing it was paltry. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Minnesota did all they could to keep her. They renovated the field at JSC. They offered her a substantial raise and incentives. The lure of her alma mater was too much to overcome

Minnesota did all they could to keep her. They renovated the field at JSC. They offered her a substantial raise and incentives. The lure of her alma mater was too much to overcome
I understand your points. They make sense. My sense is why didn't they start as early as 2014 when it must have been obvious they had a special coach. They could've fortified their position by planning in incentives. Of course, nothing is foolproof, but it amounted to another MN loss

Now Jessica gets to have fun seeing if she can fend off 250-500k offers on Canady all offseason

Now Jessica gets to have fun seeing if she can fend off 250-500k offers on Canady all offseason
And MN will soon be having players on the payroll at a higher rate than Stanford

And MN will soon be having players on the payroll at a higher rate than Stanford
Highly unlikely. Word has it the athletic department has had serious discussions about moving all sports except football and women's basketball to Tier 4....vs tier 1 for FB and WBB. Tier 4 means all teams will have no scholarships available to the team. NIL is going to kill college sports. They are not the only school having these discussions.

What then is the draw to attend UMN for any sport unless you are getting at least equivalent NIL money to take the place of the scholarship amount...My guess is, that's not going to happen. What then is the draw for a coach to coach at a school where you don't have the NIL collective for all sports, and yet are expected to compete with the schools that can bring in NIL money. Mid majors are going to come out ahead on this, whereas mid P5 schools aren't going to be able to withstand the exodus of athletes and paying the NIL amounts to keep the athletes there. Mid majors won't have to deal with the NIL money, so the scholarships will still be there.

All this NIL stuff is terrible. There has to be a better way.

Highly unlikely. Word has it the athletic department has had serious discussions about moving all sports except football and women's basketball to Tier 4....vs tier 1 for FB and WBB. Tier 4 means all teams will have no scholarships available to the team. NIL is going to kill college sports. They are not the only school having these discussions.

What then is the draw to attend UMN for any sport unless you are getting at least equivalent NIL money to take the place of the scholarship amount...My guess is, that's not going to happen. What then is the draw for a coach to coach at a school where you don't have the NIL collective for all sports, and yet are expected to compete with the schools that can bring in NIL money. Mid majors are going to come out ahead on this, whereas mid P5 schools aren't going to be able to withstand the exodus of athletes and paying the NIL amounts to keep the athletes there. Mid majors won't have to deal with the NIL money, so the scholarships will still be there.

Not surprising. Especially with how Title IX is getting bastardized it makes sense to cut as many scholarship sports as possible until you have just your money makers covered

So following this logic, most major schools would have this same problem. They're not all going to do this, maybe they create a group amongst themselves that does have scholarships but not at the same playing lvl as the bluebloods. There will be some plan figured out to not end most school's sports at the scholarship lvl. Just don't know how or when.

any gossip of any potential portal pickups? I see all these schools upgrading already - not like we would get any big names but was hoping we would get some hitters to help with this offense.

any gossip of any potential portal pickups? I see all these schools upgrading already - not like we would get any big names but was hoping we would get some hitters to help with this offense.
With only one player (thankfully… so far) transferring out; don’t expect in-transfers.

Our roster was over-full last season.

Our roster for 2025 is going to have to be built the old-fashioned way: with hopefully 4-year student-athletes.

Nebraska on the other hand is vacuuming up transfers so far this summer.

Nebraska is trying to capitalize on having Jordy Bahl for two more seasons to attract transfers for an attempt at a WCWS run while the Bahl window is open. Unlike Bahl though, none of these players are demonstrated all-American caliber players. But maybe one or two will break through for them. We’ll see.

Top Bottom