All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

the Vikes are not going to play McCarthy until he's ready. if that means he doesn't play a single snap in '24, I'm fine with that.

Now, if it gets to mid-season or late season and they think he is ready, then I could see McCarthy getting a start or at least making some second-half appearances.

But if Darnold gets hurt early in the season, don't be surprised if Crazy Nick Mullens is the replacement. they are not going to rush McCarthy - and I agree with that 100%.

the Vikes are not going to play McCarthy until he's ready. if that means he doesn't play a single snap in '24, I'm fine with that.

Now, if it gets to mid-season or late season and they think he is ready, then I could see McCarthy getting a start or at least making some second-half appearances.

But if Darnold gets hurt early in the season, don't be surprised if Crazy Nick Mullens is the replacement. they are not going to rush McCarthy - and I agree with that 100%.
Yeah I would be surprised if McCarthy takes any meaningful snaps in the first half of the season.

Per NFL Live yesterday, KOC said Darnold is definitely the number 1 going into training camp

Don't laugh at me damnit, but I sprinkled $5 on Darnold for AP Comeback Player of the Year, at 30-1!! And I did the same for Kyler Murray, same bet, same odds!

The last 6 winners have been QB's, and if Joe Flacco and Geno Smith can do it, why not our boy Sam?!

Don't laugh at me damnit, but I sprinkled $5 on Darnold for AP Comeback Player of the Year, at 30-1!! And I did the same for Kyler Murray, same bet, same odds!

The last 6 winners have been QB's, and if Joe Flacco and Geno Smith can do it, why not our boy Sam?!
Makes sense to me😃

Plus the bar for Sam’s Comeback is not that high - throws for 2500+Yards, 20 TDs+, he’s a mortal 🔒 . Those should be attainable, unless he’s a complete bust.

I am guessing there is not going to be much protest from NFL Teams, because I would not be surprised if every other team is doing it to some degree, The Falcons only got caught because Cousins opened up his yapper at his press conference.

Giving the Vikings a 5th Round pick for someone they really did not want (at anywhere near what the Atlanta signed him for) just does not seem logical.

Given the Draft Day development, I am not sure the Falcons really want KC either.
Then just let teams tamper and don't pretend you care. The only reason the NFL really bothers is they want the "news" cycle to be legitimate the first week of free agency instead of everything leaking out in the weeks beforehand.

Then just let teams tamper and don't pretend you care. The only reason the NFL really bothers is they want the "news" cycle to be legitimate the first week of free agency instead of everything leaking out in the weeks beforehand.
All they could actually prove was that Cousins had contact with the Atlanta Training Staff (not Coaches or Management) because he was a blabbermouth, which to me seems like a big "so what?!?"

The Agent was already allowed speak to the Falcons for 52 hrs beyond the new league year, and discuss parameters for a contract.

I think your are correct about the NFL wanting to protecting the News cycle. If something firm had leaked prior to the actual Free Agent window, then the penalty probably would have been harsher. By the time Cousins had talked to the Falcons Trainer, both the Vikes and the KC camp had moved on.

This. While we don't know for sure, the tampering could have caused Cousins to stop negotiating with the Vikings. Or demand more knowing Atlanta would give him what he wanted if the Vikings didn't.

Michael Lombardi, on his podcast The GM Shuffle (i'd highly recommend, one of the best NFL pods out there) had a different take on this issue. Basically said this had to do with the Falcons shadow, defacto GM Rich McKay (who the Falcons claim isn't very involved but Arthur Blank does nothing without his say-so) is heavily connected at the NFL league offices and hence the result of almost nothing in the way of punishment.

He said it's like being pregnant, you either are or you aren't; it's either tampering or it isn't. And for the league to come out with some wishy-washy explanation and slap on the wrist was absolutely ridiculous.

Regardless of whether or not the Vikings were ever going to be compensated, it is most definitely a ridiculous punishment determination for something that was more egregious than some things that have gotten significantly harsher penalties (like "Deflate-gate")

This. While we don't know for sure, the tampering could have caused Cousins to stop negotiating with the Vikings. Or demand more knowing Atlanta would give him what he wanted if the Vikings didn't.
Personally I don't think there was any negotiating with the Vikings management. They made their best offer in terms of years & dollars, weren't going to budge and were probably relieved KC turned them down.

Personally I don't think there was any negotiating with the Vikings management. They made their best offer in terms of years & dollars, weren't going to budge and were probably relieved KC turned them down.
Fellow posters here in GH said that Kirk C. Wouldn’t get 45 mill/season but I think that is why he did sign for a similar sum.

You have to love the irony here, which has gotten very very little attention, that one of the MAJOR reasons Cousins went to ATL instead of staying with the Vikings is that the Vikings were very up front with Cousins that they were going to draft a young QB early; and those f'ng morons in the front office in Atlanta signed Kirk and did the same thing. Some reports from the Vikings have leaked out that this was a big deal to Kirk, the Vikings QB draft plans.

Atlanta might be one of the biggest shitshows in the league

Top Bottom